NEWS

Climbing Gear

• 11 Replies

jofer234

• Newb
« on: <11-18-15/0821:37> »
According to the climbing table (Pg. 134 SR5 CoreBook) if someone want to climb on sheer wall he applied -5 dice pool modifier.
I am a little confused by this statement.Personally,i think you need something like Geko gloves or climbing gear,or climbing razors for that AND apply this modifier.Because you are not spider-man at all (i am not talking about you Changelings!).But i cant find any word about it by RAW.

Myometric and standart rope.(Pg 449 SR5 Corebook)
Lets say,i wanna to climb on the building roof.If i use standart rope,probably i need to make a test with threshold to throw the rope at appropriate point.If i have myometric rope,i can say this thing to tie on the ledge of building.So what is the point of using any rope except myometric at all?
Any thoughts guys?
I am sorry for my bad english.Thanks to the Sixth world goverment education for that :/

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-18-15/0837:12> »
There are two adjusting screws to determine difficulty in SR:
Mods and threshold.

You are right that a sheer wall incurs -5, but without gear you are looking at a threshold of very difficult to impossible, whereas with the right gear it becomes merely difficult to mundane.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

jofer234

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <11-18-15/0858:40> »
Thats why i dont understand that.
How?How can you do that?
GM can set difficult to 7 or 8 or even 10, if someone want ro climb on sheer wall.But without appropriate gear and with right physical limit (And maybe 5-6 edge raiting plus rule of six),you can climb like spider-man even if the wall is absolutely have no cracks,metal points and etc.
I know its just the game not the simulator and etc but...its very hard to accept.
« Last Edit: <11-18-15/0900:40> by jofer234 »
I am sorry for my bad english.Thanks to the Sixth world goverment education for that :/

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-18-15/0905:19> »
Depends on how high the wall is. A parkour runner can get over a sheer three meter wall without much trouble.

What you have here is a case of: If it's impossible, the GM doesn't need to bother letting the player roll. If there is a chance... well than it is not impossible.
talk think matrix

adzling

« Reply #4 on: <11-18-15/1009:23> »
sheer wall refers to the slope not the hand-holds.
So you could have a vertical cliff with all kinds of hand holds to get up it.
Or a featureless glass skyscraper.
They both have the same pitch, but are much different in difficulty.
One would require gear and the other could be free-climbed.

jofer234

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <11-18-15/1028:09> »
Okey.I think i got it.
i just want to be sure.If you have appropriate gear,what the threshold for such type of walls and obstacles?
If the wall is 5m height its like 3+ 2m per net hit everytime you roll?or just three?if its the mountauin,or high building (like 50m) is it extended test with threshold like..15-18?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <11-18-15/1035:44> »
@adzling
*looksindictionary*

Ah, you are right. Thanks, as a non-native speaker I just learned something new (especially that sheer has a shitload of meanings depending on context ;D )

@jofer234

That depends if your runners are under stress or not.
As a GM, I reduce the distance each hit generates the harder the climb is if they are under threat (since it becomes relevant where they are exactly if they are attacked).
If they have lot's of time, a simple extended test with a higher threshold will do also.

There is a guideline for both in the skills chapter.
talk think matrix

adzling

« Reply #7 on: <11-18-15/1105:01> »
I'm sure your English far surpasses my German mein fraulein ;-)

jofer234

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <11-18-15/1328:13> »
sheer wall refers to the slope not the hand-holds.
So you could have a vertical cliff with all kinds of hand holds to get up it.
@adzling
*looksindictionary*

Ah, you are right. Thanks, as a non-native speaker I just learned something new (especially that sheer has a shitload of meanings depending on context ;D )

Same here :)
Thanks everyone for help!

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #9 on: <11-18-15/1507:06> »
I'm sure your English far surpasses my German mein fraulein ;-)

You just said my lady, in German.
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <11-18-15/1554:35> »
I'm under the distinct impression that he knows that  ;)
talk think matrix

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #11 on: <11-18-15/2102:43> »
Oh, then in that case, carry on. B)
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.