NEWS

Submerssion/Initation at Generation

• 7 Replies

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« on: <03-08-19/0852:26> »
So was there a reason submerssion/initation was errata out at generation? Looking at some prime running and  debating that limitation. Is there a risk here I'm not seeing? 
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-08-19/1039:38> »
Balance-wise, not really.  Starting Karma is really valuable, spending it on things you could get for the same cost after char-gen isn't going to break anything. 

I suspect there was some Meta reasoning for that decision.  Feel free to ignore at your table.

adzling

« Reply #2 on: <03-08-19/1056:03> »
i see no risk

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <03-08-19/1136:38> »
I’d probably not allow it for “regular” character generation, if only to give the players something to strive for... But if they’re building prime runners, whom are by definition more advanced characters to begin with, I’d allow it.
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #4 on: <03-08-19/1310:43> »
Cool. I couldn't think of anything ether. But figured I might have missed something relating to the errata.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #5 on: <03-08-19/1351:43> »
I think part of the reason why it was removed was that submersion and initiation are supposed to be 'big' events in a character's growth that takes weeks to do.... IE: the roleplayability

But I too agree Prime Runners require less 'kid gloves' at creation...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <03-08-19/1404:13> »
Prime Runner status kicks in at, what, 150-ish Karma? (It’s been a long while since I looked at those rules.) Given that you’re typically looking at 5 Karma (on the low end) to 10 Karma (on the very high end) per successful session... I’d say the average is probably six or seven. That’s approximately 30 sessions played...

Expecting a ‘runner to go that long and still see Initiation as a big deal is like asking a 12th Level D&D character to get chuffed over finding a Dagger +1.

I’d say a GM would be reasonable is limiting Awakened Prime Runners to only one or two grades of initiation, telling his Augmented Primer Runners that only 25% of their money could be spent on alphaware, and so forth. This would sort of reflect that, despite being built as experienced characters, they “really” would have be subject to a lot of limits had they been built as “regular” characters.
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <03-11-19/1808:03> »
I think part of the reason why it was removed was that submersion and initiation are supposed to be 'big' events in a character's growth that takes weeks to do.... IE: the roleplayability

But I too agree Prime Runners require less 'kid gloves' at creation...
It wasn't as much removed as clarified to be intended like that. It's not really an important limit though.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!