NEWS

Newb Rigger questions

• 14 Replies

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« on: <08-04-15/1223:01> »
Sorry to probably repeat questions.  Did my due diligence and tried using the site's search for these, but alas wasn't able to find anything in the 5E rules.

1. Shooting while jumped in: Pilot rating + gunnery + CR rating + VR ?
1a. Can you use a smartgun on the drone?
2. AR gunnery is a Dexterity based skill not Reaction?
3. (more of a char creation question, but for simplicity asking here) Which is more useful to a rigger, intuition or logic?

Thanks for helping a newb out.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Raven2049

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT "Special" Agent
« Reply #1 on: <08-04-15/2105:14> »
this one is up to interpretation, i personally when my rigger is Hot Simming and jumped into a drone use Logic+Gunnery+CR rating+ Smartlink+hot sim bonus, the argument here is, should it be logic or should it be agility... my $$$ is on Logic.... but YMMV As far as AR goes I could be wrong about this next statement but whenever i AR a drone, im basically commanding it what to shoot, and instead of my die pools it is using its die pools EX: Pilot + autosoft rating + smartlink+aim actions (if applicable)

1a. Can you use a smartgun on the drone?
Why not? in my above example i am. havent been hit with the SR5 CRB yet....

2. AR gunnery is a Dexterity based skill not Reaction?
See Q1, the argument is that jumped in gunnery (Hot/Cold sim) is Logic, and not Agility.  and again AR drone control (until im told otherwise) i always play it as im pointing at the target, the drone is firing the shot, therefore its using its die pools as listed in Q1

3. (more of a char creation question, but for simplicity asking here) Which is more useful to a rigger, intuition or logic?
YES! to me both are equally important, basically because i use my rigger primarily as a surveillance rigger, perception checks out the wazoo. i have drones specifically designed to stealth their way in and observe and relay back. however depending on if your planning on Hot/Cold simming and your group is of the same view as mine, Logic would be the most important.

hope this helps, and as stated above, this is how my group plays it, if yours wants to do something else play the game and enjoy however you want to, the most important thing is that you have fun!

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-04-15/2115:43> »
Smartlink on a drone in a tricky question... lot's of room for interpretation.

What is usually agreed on is the gun needs to be a Smartgun one way or another. Plus, whatever camera the weapon is facing will need to have Smartlink installed to it. You get those together and most GMs will allow the +2 Accuracy, enhanced aiming, wind penalty reduction and a +1 Dice Pool even when the drone is acting autonomously.

The sticking point can be the Smartgun system. By strict RAW mounted weapons cannot take external modifications (however most allow Gas Venting or a Silencer/Suppresor on the barrel since it's external to the mount), this means that strictly speaking if a weapon isn't a Smartgun by default it needs to be internally modified which doubles the base weapon cost. Needless to say when you start talking Sniper Rifles or Machineguns this can get prohibitively expensive, but it is RAW. Talk to your GM about it, some may allow you to still use the External Smartgun Modification which only cost 200. It's not RAW, but perhaps getting a bit RAI and prevents riggers having to spend ludicrous amounts of money on well armed drones/vehicles.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-04-15/2131:57> »
What page is the rule about external modifications?

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-04-15/2141:27> »
What page is the rule about external modifications?

Blargh... I know it exists and is mentioned somewhere.. but as usual with anything relating to riggers it's almost impossible to track down since they got scattershot throughout the entire book just about.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <08-05-15/0216:03> »
funny cause the book lists gunnery under agility skill not logic skill

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #6 on: <08-05-15/0809:44> »
funny cause the book lists gunnery under agility skill not logic skill
Yeah that's for firing a manual weapon mount like the door guns on a helicopter or the old .50cal pintle mounts on ww2 jeeps for example. Its literally grabbing hold of the gun with your hands and swinging it about on the mount in that scenario.
I'd also use agility for when a rigger is piloting a drone from AR as he's effectively flying and controlling it using a control stick in AR, using his hands to aim it and pull the AR trigger.
I believe jumped in or piloting from VR uses logic as its a different part of the brain being utilised there, but the rules are a bit squiffy and people have different interpretations.
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-05-15/0812:01> »
Yeah. I'm looking forward to the rigger book simply for a sensible rewrite of the rules... they're a complete fucking mess in core and scatted around EVERY-fucking-where.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-05-15/0943:56> »
Yeah. I'm looking forward to the rigger book simply for a sensible rewrite of the rules... they're a complete fucking mess in core and scatted around EVERY-fucking-where.
Amen to that.
Playability > verisimilitude.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <08-05-15/1002:45> »
Thanks everyone for the replies!  The new player at our table and I appreciate it!

The Bald Man

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <08-05-15/1607:46> »
this one is up to interpretation, i personally when my rigger is Hot Simming and jumped into a drone use Logic+Gunnery+CR rating+ Smartlink+hot sim bonus, the argument here is, should it be logic or should it be agility... my $$$ is on Logic.... but YMMV As far as AR goes I could be wrong about this next statement but whenever i AR a drone, im basically commanding it what to shoot, and instead of my die pools it is using its die pools EX: Pilot + autosoft rating + smartlink+aim actions (if applicable)

Wow, that is a lot of dice.  5 [log] + 8 [6 gunnery +2 spec] + 3 [VCR] + 1 [smartlink] + 2 [VR-hot Sim] = 19 dice before any penalties -> 6 average hits.  Is that correct?

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <08-05-15/1651:05> »
How is the VCR adding dice to this test?  Smartlinks are one of those edge cases (it's not really clear either way), but I allow it.  In any event, that should be giving +2 dice (you're ragdoll, so any smartlink in your glasses is going to be useless).
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <08-05-15/1743:00> »
Also, shooting is not a matrix action, so no +2 for hot-sim.
"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #13 on: <08-05-15/1749:10> »
Smartlink is in your sensor suite which the control rig effectively wires into your visual cortex. That's where you get the +2 from. Having it in your glasses is only going to help when piloting drone in AR.
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <08-05-15/1818:39> »
Also, shooting is not a matrix action, so no +2 for hot-sim.

While you are jumped in all actions are Matrix actions.
Quote from: CRB p. 266 "VR AND RIGGING"
When you’re jumped into a vehicle or other device, you’re in Virtual Reality mode. The control rig allows you to treat Vehicle actions the same way you treat Matrix actions, so any bonus you get to Matrix actions also apply to Vehicle actions when you’re jumped in; this includes Vehicle Control Tests, Gunnery Tests, and Sensor Tests.
(bold mine)

How is the VCR adding dice to this test?  Smartlinks are one of those edge cases (it's not really clear either way), but I allow it.  In any event, that should be giving +2 dice (you're ragdoll, so any smartlink in your glasses is going to be useless).
My mistake.  CR 's only add to Vehicle Tests, not Vehicle actions.  I misread it.  Though to be honest, IMHO the CR should apply to all actions as you are running everything through it.  It's not like you drive with the CR but do all other actions through some magical other connection (unless you do?)