NEWS

About Spoofing Commands

• 15 Replies

Zukkel

• Newb
« on: <05-07-15/0124:45> »
for example, you have a mark on a sams kommlink.
he has the whole package, cybereyes, smartgun, reflexbooster, reflexenhancer, all wireless

can you use spoof command, to say "format c: in 3 seconds" to any of the cyberware he got?
if you got 3 initiative phases, you can send this command 3 times before he notices.

if this doesnt work, what if you only say "format c:" without the 3 sec specifier?

is this correct, they way I interpret it? can you simply shut off a Street Sam with this method?

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-07-15/0155:23> »
You mean "format c:" in the form of deleting the software to run the appropriate hardware?
Doesn't work. Why do you even think that "format c:" could be easier to do than a reboot, that requires 3 marks?

And there's also no time intervals to be set, you either do it now or don't, as far as I understand it.

Zukkel

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <05-07-15/0224:22> »
ok, then with reboot as an example:

if you use spoof command, you simulate, that you are the owner of the device. I presume you can reboot the device you are the owner of?

so, 1 mark on the kommlink, spoof command to reboot the cyberware, which should work cause the command seems to be of the owner?

Edit: And yes, the action I was talking about earlier was the "format device" matrix action.....
« Last Edit: <05-07-15/0227:30> by Zukkel »

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <05-07-15/0357:05> »
Format Device is a sleaze action, it's not a legitimate command you can spoof. (Compare Reboot Device, which specifically says the owner doesn't need to make a test).

I think you can do a Reboot Device - I don't see why you couldn't, anyway (though I feel needing only 1 mark makes it a bit easy compared to the 3 you need normally).

You can't set a delay on the shutdown for Reboot device. You can, however, set a delay on the time it takes to boot up again. That can be overruled by the target's physical owner (via the power button), but setting a delay for, say, a year means the target has to take manual action to reboot the device, taking up some of his time.

Zukkel

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <05-07-15/0533:09> »
ok, the format device via spoofing is off the table with that and reboot via spoof needs a houserule I think.

still, instead of attacking and trying to brick the cyberware (using 3 marks and hammer and mugger) wouldnt it always be easier to format the device? you cant use this on persones etc. i know, but for disabling a sams cyberware....

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <05-07-15/0612:21> »
Data Spike doesn't need marks. They help, of course, but those turns you spend on getting marks can also be spend on Data Spiking directly, if that's your intent.

Plus, assuming you have the 3 marks you need for Format, plus Hammer and Mugger, you do what, 18 Matrix damage minimum? The roll for both is practically the same (willpower or intuition for the defense, not usually a massive difference). Also, Format Device doesn't take out the device - you need to reboot it first for it to kick in, which takes at least one more action.

Zukkel

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <05-07-15/0628:16> »
Well the general smart move as a sam when you realize you are under attack is to disable wireless (at least the reaction of my npc sams). so the hacker only got a short timeframe to do something. so yes, to be sure you want 3 marks and 1 attack to finish the device off.

but if it needs 2 actions to effectivly shut down a device with format, then traditional bricking is definitely better.

except for a Technomancer maybe....

thx for the help :)

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <05-07-15/0652:30> »
Well the general smart move as a sam when you realize you are under attack is to disable wireless (at least the reaction of my npc sams). so the hacker only got a short timeframe to do something. so yes, to be sure you want 3 marks and 1 attack to finish the device off.
Point, I guess. Although it depends on the situation. Two zero-mark attacks take down the average street sam's device on average. If meanwhile he turns of all his wireless instead, that's a pretty decent result for one action.

If you're hacking someone who doesn't realize you're there, one big hit is best; in combat (where he might not even have the free action to disable his wireless), doing straight up damage might be better.

Darzil

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <05-07-15/0703:53> »
One trouble with spoof command is you don't need a mark on the Sam's commlink, you need a mark on the Sam's Persona, which means they need to be using the commlink at the time!

anchoress

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <05-07-15/0753:35> »
One trouble with spoof command is you don't need a mark on the Sam's commlink, you need a mark on the Sam's Persona, which means they need to be using the commlink at the time!
Shouldn't be that big of a problem. If they don't use a commlink, their wireless devices are without an external firewall (except there is an enemy decker which has everything in his PAN). Then hacking their stuff is easy as hell. So, if they want to protect the gear with a decent firewall, they will have to let their commlink run!

Darzil

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <05-07-15/0815:51> »
The commlink remains a firewall even when they aren't using it. But if they are not in AR or VR, the commlink isn't part of a Persona, and therefore you can't have a mark on it and can't use spoof command.

Zukkel

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <05-07-15/0819:49> »
ok, that explains a lot.

you need to have a mark on a persona, cause an icon can never be owner of a device?

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <05-07-15/0821:11> »
Well the sam is likely going to be in communication with their team, possibly even sharing feeds so that means they're using their comlink.

If they're not, then they're :A On their own in which case just clusterfuck them and not even bother with Matrix. Or B: Running an infiltration and thus probably have all their stuff wireless off anyway.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

anchoress

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <05-07-15/0829:08> »
Just a question to that topic: If a Sam has a smartgun in his PAN with the Commlink as the Master, wouldn't the smartgun be useless without having the Comm connected to the Matrix, for that the smartlink gatheres data from sensors and gives the Sam feedback due to data out of the matrix?

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <05-07-15/0840:05> »
Smartlink and such needs AR as well, right? I can't imagine any streetsam not being in AR all the time in a mission, unless he's some sort of luddite (and then you don't have to worry about hacking him).

Just a question to that topic: If a Sam has a smartgun in his PAN with the Commlink as the Master, wouldn't the smartgun be useless without having the Comm connected to the Matrix, for that the smartlink gatheres data from sensors and gives the Sam feedback due to data out of the matrix?
You don't need a smartgun or smartlink to be wireless to work, you just need to have the two connected (directly or via wifi). The smartgun/smartlink combo itself has sensors and such to do stuff. Being in a PAN doesn't affect this at all.
Being wireless is only needed for the wireless bonus (hence the name), which is the +1/+2 dice pool. But that only needs the smartlink and/or smartgun (not sure which) to be online. I'm not sure what happens if you turn off the wireless on your commlink while the smartgun and smartlink are in a PAN, but I think that just drops the PAN and it's benefits, without directly affecting the rest.