NEWS

unarmed and shock gloves or shock frills

• 17 Replies

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <07-22-12/0214:44> »
SR4 limits stacking attacks, not always logically, in the name of game balance.  Maybe they go a bit far - in SR3, you did normal damage in addition to shock damage, with a slight reduction to the power of the former from wearing the gloves.  So it's certainly something that can be house-ruled.  Be aware that you will be powering up certain builds, though.  If you go that route, I would suggest the shock glove damage as a flat damage value, with the "normal" punch being increased in power by the net hits, and with the opponent getting to soak the two sets of damage separately, rather than having to soak a massive combined amount of damage.

This seems like a very reasonable way to go about things.  Using this idea, I'd also allow stun batons to do damage as a club and flat stun damage as well, because... well... duh.
~~~~~
"Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide." - Xykon
~~~~~

Mournclaw

• Chummer
  • The trees have eyes... And so do I!
« Reply #16 on: <08-13-12/1547:18> »
Technically the shockpad should be in the palm area of the glove or else the chances are too high to accidentally use it on yourself. To combine the damage with a normal melee attack, you then have to hit them with the palm, which is too much a restriction for efficient brawling. It could imply a -x damage penalty to your unarmed attack that its damage will be insignificant compared to the shock damage.

Uh... Palm attacks not powerful? Now you got me rattled up there :D I have used palm attacks half of my 10-year martial arts career and have come to the conclusion they're in some ways *more* powerful than fist attacks...

Anyways, I can see it this way: you hit with full force, be my quest and do both damages, but you can say bye to those gloves/baton... Unless you have bought melee hardening for them.  ;) I just think it should cost at least twice as much, given the weakness of structure on most electric devices. And even then you could, for example, roll a d6 and get them destroyed on a roll of 1.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #17 on: <08-13-12/1640:00> »
Anyways, I can see it this way: you hit with full force, be my quest and do both damages, but you can say bye to those gloves/baton... Unless you have bought melee hardening for them.  ;) I just think it should cost at least twice as much, given the weakness of structure on most electric devices. And even then you could, for example, roll a d6 and get them destroyed on a roll of 1.

Given the low price tag, I'm sure most Melee Adepts would say "Thank you, sir!" and carry around several spare pairs at all times.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me