NEWS

[SR5] Addiction Tests

• 21 Replies

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <08-22-13/0708:39> »
Way I understand it at this moment is;
- Use Kamikaze, this is moment A
- Check 1 week later; have used than threshold resets/ haven't used threshold goes down -1
- Check 2 weeks later; have used threshold resets/ haven't used threshold -1. Either way it's Addiction Check time with a threshold varying between 1 and 3.
Actually, I'm reasonably sure moment A is part of week 1.

BlueTroll

• Newb
  • Still alive..
« Reply #16 on: <08-22-13/1637:44> »
- Check 1 week later; have used than threshold resets/ haven't used threshold goes down -1
- Check 2 weeks later; have used threshold resets/ haven't used threshold -1. Either way it's Addiction Check time with a threshold varying between 1 and 3.

Well, I guess you could do it that way. I don't think the text is clear enough, but since that first instance of drug use is the whole reason the Addiction tests cycle begins in the first place, I wouldn't count it as using the drugs 'another time' in that first week.
It would make drugs just that little bit harsher.. for those who want to play it that way.  ;)
And I will say then
Every tale is gift
And the scars borne by us both
Are easily missed
In the distance between us

(part of) Bard's Curse
Fisher kel Tath

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <08-22-13/1713:54> »
Well, I guess you could do it that way. I don't think the text is clear enough, but since that first instance of drug use is the whole reason the Addiction tests cycle begins in the first place, I wouldn't count it as using the drugs 'another time' in that first week.
It would make drugs just that little bit harsher.. for those who want to play it that way.  ;)
To the contrary: not putting moment A in week 1 seem incredibly odd, since you did use the drugs during a week, and not putting it in week 1 would essentially make it part of a "week 0".

Unahim

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <08-22-13/1827:01> »
I'm with ZeConster on this one.

NightRain

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <08-23-13/0006:50> »
How do you guys deal with mentioned but unstatted addictions like smoking, alcohol, gambling etc?

Well, for the most part you don't need dice, as there are no real penalties attached (perhaps with the exception of gambling) to addiction or withdrawal, at least not that are meaningful in a rule sense.

But if you wanted to, soykaf would probably be a good starting point for comparison.

Gambling though might be interesting to have as an addiction, and I'd probably let a player explore that one if they wanted.  The financial impact on severe cases would offset the reduced dice penalty type impacts...

BlueTroll

• Newb
  • Still alive..
« Reply #20 on: <08-23-13/0653:30> »
To the contrary: not putting moment A in week 1 seem incredibly odd, since you did use the drugs during a week, and not putting it in week 1 would essentially make it part of a "week 0".

The way I see it the first use of drugs isn't part of any week - it is one instance of druguse that initiates the whole Addiction Test clock.

Let's look at it another way. If what you say is true a character who has used drugs on day 1 of that week could use the same drug for every other day that week, without any penalty or effect on the Addiction Threshold. He would still count as 'having used in week 1'.
In my example, if the guy used Kamikaze once but then stayed clean the rest of the week, he would still risk the Addiction check at the end of the two weeks, but at least his chances have improved slightly for not using again after that first time.

By the way, I really like the idea of just using minor addicitons like smoking and soykaf just for roleplay purposes without involving the Addicition quality.
And I too would love to see some characters play out something like the gambling addiction, have to think about how to do that some more..
And I will say then
Every tale is gift
And the scars borne by us both
Are easily missed
In the distance between us

(part of) Bard's Curse
Fisher kel Tath

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <08-23-13/0838:12> »
The way I see it the first use of drugs isn't part of any week - it is one instance of druguse that initiates the whole Addiction Test clock.

Let's look at it another way. If what you say is true a character who has used drugs on day 1 of that week could use the same drug for every other day that week, without any penalty or effect on the Addiction Threshold. He would still count as 'having used in week 1'.
In my example, if the guy used Kamikaze once but then stayed clean the rest of the week, he would still risk the Addiction check at the end of the two weeks, but at least his chances have improved slightly for not using again after that first time.
But in your example, if the character uses the drug a second time, namely during your "week 1", they can also use the drug plenty of times during that week without further penalty - the only difference is your interpretation basically gives you a 'free' extra Threshold reduction if you only use the drug once, making the 8/3 drugs safe to use, and giving the 9/3 drugs a Threshold of 1 if you only use them once, instead of 2.