NEWS

[IC] Virtual Underworld 93

• 3498 Replies

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3465 on: <04-24-17/1123:42> »
>>>>>[I've been occupied with... certain things.

Anyway, is there any pattern to these assassinations? Having so many in a short period sounds like either someone's on a killing spree, or they're sending a message. If it is supposed to be a message, though, it isn't being done by a professional.]<<<<<

--Iceblade (11:23:34/04-24-79)
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #3466 on: <04-24-17/1158:43> »
>>>>>[Maybe not a professional like the kind we're used to talking about (Hi Smiley), but spirits know we could go into how many different layers of message an unsurpressed, news grabbing series of sniper killings could convey, from the fact they are happening, to the fact that if it IS a job who ever hired the killer specifically wanted them to show up on the news, to the targets chosen, et al. Seriously, the question boils down to 'is this a guy in a clocktower who has had enough of the world's shit' or 'is this professional in some sense of the word other than assassin', at least in my book.

Then again, I'm not an assassin, so let that influence your opinion]<<<<<

-- Card (08:57:30/4/24/79)
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - Tolkien

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3467 on: <04-24-17/1209:50> »
>>>>>[I assume you mean Seattle with 'downtown'.  If that's the case, I probably wouldn't know, as I'm in LA and here the newsfeeds are full with news about the latest Karl Combatmage, what the Azzies are up to in Diego and nothing else.  Stupid, I know, but that's tinseltown for you.]<<<<<

--Black Panther (18:10:15/04-24-79)
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3468 on: <04-24-17/1331:10> »
>>>>>[Here's my problem with using a spree of unsuppressed sniper shots as a message. The message is that you're an idiot who doesn't know how to properly convey a message.

If you want to show you can 'reach out and touch someone', then suppressed shots work best, and spaced further apart.

If you want to spread violence for a cause, bombings are much more effective.

If you want to put a gang or other group on notice, a drive-by with an assault rifle is something they are more likely to understand.

No, if this is supposed to be a message, then it is a stupid message, sent by an idiot. This is either someone on a killing spree for whatever nutjob reason, or someone is pushing what amounts to a false flag operation.]<<<<<

--Iceblade (13:30:22/04-24-79)
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #3469 on: <04-24-17/1353:23> »
>>>>> [From what I've been able to piece together, a Brackhaven Investments big(ish) noise got one, and his Stoddard Security bodyguard was capped by a suppressed sniper shot at almost the same moment. One of the others was a Thunderstruck shot near the ACHE. It's just, y'know, not even Chimera does this kind of blatant "I'm so badass" action.

I've also heard whispers of a 'Seattle for Aztlan' group . . .] <<<<<

-- Longshot (13:45:28/04-24-79)

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #3470 on: <04-24-17/1420:42> »
>>>>>[Never said the guy doing it was smart. Neither would be the guy behind the trigger, all things considered. I would definitely look more into it being a very poorly designed distraction that seems to be working on some half assed list of targets, or the ever popular and more likely 'going postal' idea.]<<<<<

-- Card (11:20:30/4-24-79)
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - Tolkien

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3471 on: <04-24-17/1651:26> »
>>>>>[Is there a big event going on or about to begin in the coming weeks or months?  If so, it could be to either scare people of or to allow some security corp to get an extra contract for said event.  They get more money to put extra security in order to guard against 'terrorists'.  I read that in an old book somewhere.]<<<<<

-- Black Panther (22:51:17/4-24-79)
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #3472 on: <04-25-17/0026:21> »
>>>>>[ I'm not often called an idiot, but it happens.  The two questions you really need to answer for yourself are 'do I understand what the message is', and 'am I one of those who needs to understand what the message is?'
          If the second is 'no', then the answer to the first is merely philosophical.  Both SigInt and HumInt strongly suggest that the message is being received properly. ]<<<<<
          -- Shugyōsha (00:26:58/04-25-79)
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #3473 on: <04-25-17/0618:56> »
>>>>> [Someone's - several someones, maybe - idea of a purge, then. Hmm - Human Nation, perhaps?] <<<<<

-- Longshot (06:16:52/04-25-79)

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3474 on: <04-25-17/0643:12> »
>>>>>[ No.  My most recent target (admittedly made after your post) on the 520's New Rosellini Bridge was the local Human Nation head.  (Who was not Brackhaven, as much as he'd like to think he is.)  I used the Thunderstruck again to penetrate the limosine's armor, so should be making the news at any moment. ]<<<<<
          -- Shugyōsha (06:43:38/04-25-2079)
Pananagutan & End/Line

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3475 on: <04-25-17/0742:24> »
>>>>>[ Ah, the wonders of civilization.  Here in Lagos they simply walk up to their target and shoot him/her in the face.  In broad daylight.  Nobody gives a damn (except on Victoria Island).
Yep, I'm back as Panther said, from a mission in the jungles around Lagos (hunting telesma).  I turned out to be the only one who had thought to bring a satlink and that one broke down, hence my being incommunicado for a while.  Some people really have no idea what you might need on a jungle expedition. ]<<<<<
          -- Kitten (13:43:14/04-25-2079)

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #3476 on: <04-26-17/0225:29> »
>>>>>[Shugyōsha, I'd ask what your entire job is, but I know the answer will be 'none of my fragging business', or similar, possibly nicer forms of it.

Just, if you can, try to avoid causing traffic in the northern areas of town? I have business up there and gridlock would kinda screw me. If nothing else, wait a day or two?]<<<<<

-- Card (23:24:30/4-25-79)

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3477 on: <04-26-17/0629:28> »
>>>>>[ No.  There are six more in the Metroplex that must be taken care of.  Where-ever they try to run, there will I find them; now is the time, for their electronic chains will only last out the month, and the longer I wait, the more troublesome they will make it.  Afterwards there are several others to finalize elsewhere; then I can return to business as usual.
          It may prove meritorious to review the dossiers on each ... individual ... which have been donated to and revealed by the several local news outlets.  While all of them are frequent users of the shadow community in Seattle, none of them are within comet-probe range of either a valuable member of that community or someone who should be respected by us.  Thus do I slay not only their bodies, but that which could have lived after them.  Thus it shall be as Antony initially says about Caesar: "The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interrèd with their bones."
          What others thought their good to be is thus exposed as a facile mask; they are to be known for the evil they did in their lives. This, in exchange for seeking to destroy all that I have done. ]<<<<<
          -- Shugyōsha (06:29:12/04-26-2079)
Pananagutan & End/Line

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #3478 on: <04-29-17/0636:20> »
>>>>> [Huh. I'm thinking this is part of the Megacorporate Audit now. And thanking Ghost that there aren't - or haven't been - laser weapons used, 'cause that would bring way too much sec crackdown in.] <<<<<

-- Longshot (06:32:51/04-29-79)

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3479 on: <04-29-17/0855:35> »
>>>>> [Whatever it is, it's quite serious.  Rumour back here is that Horizon has dispatched a Dawkins team to Seattle.] <<<<<

-- Black Panther (14:56:42/04-29-79)