NEWS

SR6 FAQ

• 55 Replies

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <08-05-20/1645:10> »
The pool is assembled by A+B+C+D+E.  A is your raw attribute.  B is your bonuses to A, and has a cap of +4. C is your raw skill.  D is your expertise/specialization, if you have it.  E is everything else, and (under this interpretation/clarification) is capped at +4.

It doesn't seem sloppy to me... it seems the opposite really.  Simple and streamlined.

I suspect we just won't agree here, so I won't try to convince you. Just to clarify my point of what I meant by sloppy though, I meant the fact that one of the primary selling points on the new edge system was to eradicate shifting modifiers math. Yet we still have quite a few of them, and this rule interpretation (which I overall support) just further plays into what the edge system was meant to do away with, or make easier.
Reduction is not eradication.

and putting an arbitrary cap on how big the modifications can get is also going in line with minimizing (but as MC said, not eradicating) the impact of dice modifications. 

Well.. positive dice pool modifications anyway.  again we don't know if BGCs are coming back and if so in what form... but I would bet (not that I KNOW) that it'll be similar to 5e because the Matrix Noise mechanic is still -dice.

Lormyr you're right in that there's some inherent schizophrenia in the system with regards to dice pool mods vs edge mods... but that's not something SRM or even errata can address.
« Last Edit: <08-05-20/1646:45> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #16 on: <08-06-20/1308:36> »
I just noticed (well, someone just pointed out to me) that there's no guidance for GMs on what rolls Analytical Mind can be applied to. That surprises me.

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <08-06-20/1412:17> »
I just noticed (well, someone just pointed out to me) that there's no guidance for GMs on what rolls Analytical Mind can be applied to. That surprises me.

Any that use Logic

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #18 on: <08-06-20/1737:06> »
and putting an arbitrary cap on how big the modifications can get is also going in line with minimizing (but as MC said, not eradicating) the impact of dice modifications. 

Well.. positive dice pool modifications anyway.  again we don't know if BGCs are coming back and if so in what form... but I would bet (not that I KNOW) that it'll be similar to 5e because the Matrix Noise mechanic is still -dice.

I suspect that BGC will also still inflict dice penalties, but I also can't be sure since they are going to have to change how they otherwise worked, for example lowering the force of spells, which no longer exists.

Lormyr you're right in that there's some inherent schizophrenia in the system with regards to dice pool mods vs edge mods... but that's not something SRM or even errata can address.

I'd just like to see superior consistency and balance man. Some of the new supplements have helped, but the core system is still too disjointed for my liking or to respect. I wish you guys that worked on the FAQ had a more direct hand on the actual rules, because even if I disagreed with your specific design goals, your work demonstrates they would at least be consistent and clearly written.

Setting aside my nitpick about training options being a bit too premium, dislike for making used cultured bioware completely unavailable, and opinion that the chosen interpretation for Anticipation is just flat incorrect compared to what is written (but fuck that edge action, it would ludicrous to begin with), the FAQ is overall good, you guys did a good job.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <08-07-20/1449:21> »

That's because Analytical Mind is an Errata issue and the FAQ is not meant to cover errata ... only Missions campaign clarifications
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #20 on: <08-07-20/1527:24> »

That's because Analytical Mind is an Errata issue and the FAQ is not meant to cover errata ... only Missions campaign clarifications
Was it covered off in errata? I might have missed it.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <08-07-20/1547:18> »

Errata has left Analytical Mind unchanged.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <08-07-20/1910:54> »

Errata has left Analytical Mind unchanged.

So far ..  i still hold out hope
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #23 on: <08-13-20/1035:39> »
Some further thoughts:

Is using professional services to buy Quickened spells intended to work with NPCs, PCs, or both? Additionally, in the case of NPCs, you may want to add a note for determining their dice pool, otherwise there is no standard for how many hits they can buy.

Also, is this intended to function only after chargen? As currently written I see no reason why a PC couldn't buy a suite of quickened spells with starting cash if they wished.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <08-13-20/1207:22> »
IIRC it's classified as a downtime activity*, and you can't do any downtime activities until after your first SRM.

*EDIT:  I mean buying professional services outside a session.  But obviously you can't be simultaneously in chargen and mid-session...
« Last Edit: <08-13-20/1212:07> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #25 on: <08-13-20/1228:36> »
It is listed under "Questions about Playing in Missions", and makes no mention of downtime.

What about ‘professional services’? Can I pay the decker to find gear for or pay a mage to quicken a spell on my character?
Yes, however the service must be paid for in full before the benefit can be applied. A decker must be reimbursed for the gear AND paid any commission before the gear can be turned over, a mage must be paid the full agreed upon price before expending karma to quicken a spell, etc. As stated previously, the difference in value cannot be more than 5,000¥. (Additionally, see section 8 for notes on Quickening)

Also, even if it was, this does nothing to address how many hits the NPC mage can buy. It really needs a hard formula, like 5,000Y per hit up to 4 hits.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <08-13-20/1238:52> »
Well chargen is a solo activity.  there is no NPC or PC mage to sell you quickened spells.  That can only happen during play, or in between play.   Chargen is not in between play.

Edit:  In the case of NPC dice pools... they roll Connectionx2 for all dice rolls.  If it's not a contact... well obviously you need a GM and it should be equally obvious that you can only use those sorts of NPCs mid-mission when you have the GM.
« Last Edit: <08-13-20/1241:05> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #27 on: <08-13-20/1251:58> »
Well chargen is a solo activity.  there is no NPC or PC mage to sell you quickened spells.  That can only happen during play, or in between play.   Chargen is not in between play.

To be clear I am also against allowing this at chargen, but I do think the section would benefit from an added line stating so. It would not be illogical for one to assume all manner of interactions happen with NPCs leading up to start of play, not the least of which is who sold you all that gear?

Edit:  In the case of NPC dice pools... they roll Connectionx2 for all dice rolls.  If it's not a contact... well obviously you need a GM and it should be equally obvious that you can only use those sorts of NPCs mid-mission when you have the GM.

I think this is a mistake regarding the non-contact portion. One GM's "wtf 3 hits is way too generous" is another's "only 3? go ahead and buy up to 7". Table consistency is one of the most important aspects of living campaigns imo.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <08-13-20/1322:56> »
I think this is a mistake regarding the non-contact portion. One GM's "wtf 3 hits is way too generous" is another's "only 3? go ahead and buy up to 7". Table consistency is one of the most important aspects of living campaigns imo.

Hence the requirement for all quickened spells to use the buying successes rule.  Even mid-session.

Heck, ALL downtime rolls must buy hits, for that matter.  Quickened spells are special only in that you must buy hits during play, too.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <08-13-20/1332:05> »
I know Lormyr disagrees but I wish they had got rid of all the permanent sustaining methods for mages. You want +4 agility at all times, buy ware.