NEWS

Battling the ultimate PC

• 83 Replies

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #15 on: <12-22-12/0240:02> »
Arcane Arrester or not, it seems like an Edge-boosted Stunbolt or two and he's down for the count.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <12-22-12/0317:04> »
He using any cyberware or tech in general?  How good is his security?  Someone he's crossed might just hire a hacker or technomancer to mess up his gear - if an enemy engineers his death in a fight against someone/something else, it would be hard to trace back the them.  Shut-off cyber-eyes, for example, would be inconvenient.  Cyber-eyes getting their video altered to cause you to dodge INTO attacks would be fatal.

There's also the chunky or (if you have War) the pureed salsa rule.  For that matter, it should be pretty easy to find about fifty ways to get it done using War or even just Arsenal's modding rules - I'm partial to the High Velocity weapons if you need some truly fantastic destructive power.  +11 DV or -11 defence can be pretty potent.  Combine with AV/APDS rounds, EX-Ex,  or if you're using an HMG to do this Anti-Tank rounds (in War, -6 AP)...  Or add High Velocity to one of the rapid-fire grenade launchers in War and fire Gecko Grenades at him in a confined space...

Let's say the attacker gets the drop on him with a modded Ultimax HMG-2 (7P, -3 AP, FA modded to HV, RC 10 [Let's assume an enemy mage conceals him from view for the setup], 100 round belt).  Give it the Gyro Stabilizer, smartgun system, Electronic Firing, Underbarrel Weight,  and use a couple of extra mod slots because the weapon is so massive for a heavy barrel.  This puts it up to 19 points recoil comp, more than enough for the full auto burst.  Anti-tank rounds puts this at -9 AP, and a narrow full burst (as that concealment grants surprise) puts the DV up to 18.  Give the guy Heavy Weapons 6 with a Machine Gun specialization and he gets to take 3 Take Aim actions first, netting an extra +3.  Let's say 7 Agility, so with the bonuses added up we're at 20 dice to hit him with - and due to surprise, he gets no defence.  Should generate around 6-7 net hits without any Edge, so that's up to ~25 damage.  He gets to soak with 31 dice, generating an expected 10 hits.  Even if he has the Augmented max for his Body, that will just about kill him in one IP - depending on how the dice actually go, it might make him a greasy smear.  If it doesn't, you've got next round.

That said, that much done just to kill him implies either that he has done monumentally stupid things to piss the wrong people off in character, or you're being vindictive.  If the character's causing you issues, talk to him about it.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #17 on: <12-22-12/0626:00> »
Throw them out the window (or blow the entire floor up...)  Falling damage is really... quiet bad.

Or talk to him and make sure he hasnt built a boring one trick pony.

Levitate is great, that way.

I use it for a 'Pinball' effect, where I keep smashing them into things, dealing (Movement Speed / IPs) per hit.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

oxford

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <12-22-12/1611:44> »
i just thought about using a ares screech rifle, it bypasses armor and attacks will, sounds like the weak link to me.....were were u guys on that one

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #19 on: <12-22-12/1619:51> »
^ Good catch.

Tagz

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <12-22-12/1626:10> »
I'd say use the noticeably decked out for war look against him. 

Just my guess is he's not using public transportation or walking in this, but who knows.  If he is this idea can be easily adapted.  Anyhow, have him get pulled over for a regular old DWT (Driving While Troll).  If he's not wearing the armor at this time make sure the cop searches the vehicle under some pretense (not sure of the real laws in 2070s, could be real, could be tromped up).  This will present a couple of likely scenarios:

1) He'll try to fight his way out.
Not the smartest move but totally possible.  Course, the problem with LEOs aren't that each officer is super tough, it's that there's so many of them.  Because this is a possibility I'd say be sure there are two officers, one approaching and another in the police vehicle.  This makes it so that attacking and killing both in one move is harder and it's easier for one of the officers to call it in.  Once called in, turn it into a major big deal.  Cops chasing through the city for half the day, multiple hiding places, etc.  Keep them on him until he gives up on the run, maybe even then some.  This ought to give him and his armor a good old bit of notoriety.  This whole scenario is a totally realistic response to attacking the police and reasonable in my opinion.

2) When in doubt, bribe your way out.
Much smarter, much more likely to work get him to his job.  But will depend on just how much contraband he's got and how much he's willing to pay.  The cop ought to look at this like a total payday.  Either the player pays a bunch, or he brings in a troll with a ton of expensive contraband, and anyone with this much gear is likely a runner who's got a record somewhere and a rep... this is the arrest that could get him promoted to detective, so the bribe would have to be heafty to give that up.  He can come out and even say all this even to our troll.
Best part is, if the player successfully bribes, you can have the cop show up again the next time, looking like he expects our troll.  Why wouldn't he try to milk this?

3) He lets himself get brought in.
Very unlikely.  Not so much because the consequences are the worst, but because players usually percieve it to be the worst and will do just anything to not get caught even when they weren't doing anything that serious.
Anyhow, if this happens then anything that there isn't the proper licensing for gets taken, he gets fines or worse depending on the item, and perhaps an item or two that he does have all the legal papers for "Gets lost in processing.  So sorry.  If you'd like to file a complaint please fill out form ....." yeah.  The whole process should take him hours (Story time, not playtime.  Who wants to roleplay that for 4 hours?).

And there are a ton of other things you can do too.  You don't need to challenge him in a fight, sometimes you just need to remove or control him during a fight.  I've had a sword wielding tank with Arcane Arrestor defeated by a mage casting levitate on him, and just holding him in place while the mage walked away dismissively.  That sort of thing works too.

Anyhow, the goal being to annoy(character, not player) and show that being a walking tank just doesn't work so great in the real world, while still giving the player some freedom to choose how they react and what happens.

Course, this is only after you've talked to your player about being reasonable.  That should be step one.

Inconnu

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <12-22-12/1741:22> »
Team of skilled snipers is the key to taking down any horribly unbalanced character. Make them aim for a minute or 12 combat rounds, and call a shot to bypass armor.
Alternatively, what's his helm like? That's right. BOOM HEADSHOT.
Barett has 9P -4AP, ADPS that and it's -8AP.  Even with the mystic armor, some of that is going to get through. Oh, and headshots are plus 4P, so we're talking 13P -8AP. If you really want to frag him up, get them "prototype" rifles that have better stats.

Kat9

« Reply #22 on: <12-22-12/1751:12> »
Zippo lighter works just fine, but in a pinch a bic will do.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <12-22-12/2016:43> »
Team of skilled snipers is the key to taking down any horribly unbalanced character. Make them aim for a minute or 12 combat rounds, and call a shot to bypass armor.
Alternatively, what's his helm like? That's right. BOOM HEADSHOT.
Barett has 9P -4AP, ADPS that and it's -8AP.  Even with the mystic armor, some of that is going to get through. Oh, and headshots are plus 4P, so we're talking 13P -8AP. If you really want to frag him up, get them "prototype" rifles that have better stats.

Incorrect. You can call a shot to bypass armor OR add DV not both. If you could do both, it would specifically state that you can. (One other issue with this is that THERE ARE NO HIT LOCATIONS)
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <12-22-12/2056:19> »
I think he is alluding to the conceit that the bonus damage is targetting vitals (head, heart, stuff like that).  And he's not talking about called shots to bypass armor in the same action as the called shot for damage.  Look again, the weapon is doing the -8 AP for the shot for bonus damage.  The armor bypassing hit is in regards to a different circumstance.

However, one can't aim for 12 rounds and get the benefit.  A character can only benefit from 1/2 of his skill in the weapon (rounded down) of Take Aim simple actions (SR4A pg 148).  While not entirely accurate, I get the gist of what Inconnu is saying.  No big.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Inconnu

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <12-23-12/1620:01> »
Read:Team of SKILLED snipers. We're talking longarms(sniper) 6(8).
And yes, i was assuming that called shots to raise DV were to vulnerable areas. Helms generally aren't very good impact or ballistic, so the mystic armor loses some of the physical armor backing it up.
Course, it's a bit of a houserule, but at least it's one with a good basing.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <12-23-12/1629:02> »
With longarms 6, that's still only 3 simple actions for aiming, for a +3 die bonus.
There is no overkill.

Inconnu

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <12-23-12/1638:22> »
Unless you count the specialization.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <12-23-12/1701:32> »
Which gives one extra die, maybe?

That's still not significant compared to the negative modifiers (we are talking -12 and worse, probably -20).  Just call for damage, spend the Edge (or Team Rating) and pop the guy.  Remember, if the die pool drops to 0 or less, Edge expenditure treats it as starting from 0.  So the shooter will always have some dice to roll.
There is no overkill.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #29 on: <12-23-12/1917:16> »
Have a few mooks unload on him first with submachine guns.  This will reduce his defensive dicepool and give the snipers an even better edge.  Throw in the APDS rounds...

And maybe a mage with a break armour speel or something.

And an Toxic Acid Elemental... ohhh....
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P