NEWS

Anyone else have a problem with Infiltration?

• 88 Replies

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #75 on: <10-20-11/2035:37> »
I play both.  It's fun either way.
Living the Electronic Dream

Tagz

• Omae
« Reply #76 on: <10-21-11/2135:27> »
@ Fizzygoo

Oh, I do love a good discussion.  And yes, I did take it as polite.  I'm going to argue my point a bit more, and apologize for getting back to the topic 2 pages later.  I think it's more a matter of clarification then an actual difference of opinions, though there might still be some difference there.

Part of it is that I was tired when I posted and did not empathize that I was mostly concerned with NPCs and other things that actually make an opposed Perception vs Infultration against the character.  These things would be guards, spirits, cameras(well, the person/agent watching it), and less passive sensors.
They can "dodge" them.  But they have to know they are there.
I wouldn't quite say that.  That sets a precedence that the player must know about each and every possible thing that could percieve him/her in order to infiltrate successfully.  That makes stealth unreasonably difficult, as well as somewhat unrealistic.

I disagree, politely, with you here. It's what the whole legwork phase of a run is for. There can be the; "Did you get the security schematics from the contractors about that facility?" "Yeah, chummer, the room before our target is a laser sensor matrix, vertically and horizontally, with only a two millimeter gap between the lattice work." "Frag, we better get our hacker to take that out." Or the; "Hey, GM, this is the last room before our target, do I see anything?" (rolling perception) "Nope, looks all clear." "Okay, well to be safe, I'll use Infiltration." GM to him/herself, "well, he can't squeeze himself into a <2 mm spaghetti strand so the alarms go off."
Ok, completely agree with you there.  That's an impossible task.  No chance, shoulda done some legwork Chummer or at least noticed the beam.

Course, could it be possible to get by a single low laying beam that can be stepped over without notice?  Sure, do an Edge(x) test, maybe you got lucky because it isn't impossible, but don't expect to do it often.  I find it pretty fun to have a random element like that.  Like for instance a player might accidentally get by it on the way in and set it off on the way out and think "But! I did it the same way!  How did I set off the alarm?!"  Then I just smile.
Inflitration is the skill used when a character wants to sneak around undetected by either other characters or security sensors. (SR4A, 124)

Then
Technical security includes alarms, sensors, scanners, locks, and automated systems. (SR4A, 261, original emphasis)

Trip beams are...perimeter alarms. Noticing [them] requires a Perception + Intuition (2) Test for visible beams, or a threshold of 3 for infrared beams. ... Squeezing past a trip beam maze requires an Agility + Reaction Test against a gamemaster-determined threshold. (SR4A, 261)

If you look through the whole Technical Security section (SR4A, 261-264) it modifies, clarifies, and specifies how Infiltration is used under certain conditions. Like not at all for trip beams or, as for motion sensors;

Defeating a motion sensor requires that characters move very slowly through the field, one half-meter per Combat Turn, and succeeding in an Infiltration + Agility (3) Test. (SR4A, 261, my emphasis)

So if a player doesn't know that the motion sensors are there and says, "hey, I'm going to use Infiltration to move across this room" and then proceeds to move 5 meters in the first Combat Turn...no matter what they roll on their Infiltration test, even 50 hits...they're getting picked up by the sensors.

Knowing is half the run.
Yeah, this is my fault for not being clear.  I don't disagree with any of that.

You don't need to know where a camera is to know that there probably is one and you should keep to the shadows.  You don't need to know where each guard is to know to keep out of open areas and stay low to the ground, etc.  And you don't need to spot a laser trip beam to assume that there might be one.  Of course, knowing helps improve your task, but not knowing doesn't make the player worse at sneaking.  That would be applying a modifier incorrectly (a penalty to player when it should be bonus to observer).

But...the cameras could have night vision or thermographic sensors linked to motion detection software...not knowing gets you geeked. But there could be a guard leaning against the wall just around the corner and you'll both have to roll surprise and perceptions...not knowing where the guards are gets you geeked. And sure you can assume there's a beam, but where do you duck, step over, slide under, jump over it, is it a meter into the room and a meter off the ground, two and one, one and two, 2.72 and 3.14?...not knowing gets you geeked.
Well, with these situations it's more like "Not knowing almost always gets you geeked."  The rolls still get made and the perciever still needs to win the opposed test to notice the person.  Planning and forehand knowledge should give the infiltrater a few bonuses and let him/her make better decisions, but it is still possible to just outright beat them in opposed tests.  In fact, not even sneaking (just not being outstandingly obvious) still requires a single hit on a perception test.  It's possible to get past a guard without even sneaking if he botches the roll (would have to be a terrible guard, but terrible guards do exist especially with AR sports games to watch).

It is entirely within possibility that you might fail a perception test to notice a guard while tip toeing past some crates.  The player is taking reasonable actions and precautions to remain stealthy, they should be able to roll Infiltration as not knowing the guard is there is not preventing them from attempting the task.  The guard (unless you've ruled this is some sort of obvious bottleneck situation, I would think not around crates but regardless we're assuming "no" for this situation) still needs to win with their perception test to notice the player and their success is not a guarantee, especially when you throw in modifiers like chameleon coat, cover modifiers, Concealment Power, or whatever else may be in play.  It could very well turn out that the Infiltrate gets past the guard with neither being the wiser the other was there.

Cameras are similar.  It's the person or agent watching the camera you need to beat, not the camera itself.  If you have one and say you've got a program that tells you if anything moves on it, well then you made it into a motion sensor and should be using the rules for that and calling it that.

If the runners didn't check the security out and find out where these things are then they're walking right into it. Of course the GM should, through varying levels of difficulty, make this information available to the characters with proper legwork on their part.
Again, totally agree.  But not all things are automatic failures for not knowing about it.  Some are, but some are not.  I just don't want newchummers to assume that they ALL are and become lazy GMs when it comes to stealth.

This becomes an extremely important point when you consider astral observers.  If you have the mentality that you must be aware of something to sneak by it, then any mundane automatically fails against an astral observer.  That's somewhat absurd if you ask me, as it renders an entire character concept ineffectual and useless.  The Astral observer should of course receive a good bonus for aura on shadow contrast, and possibly negative background count (low life area such as a city would have a -1 Background Count that becomes a +1 Astral Visibility modifier, check SM for the chart), likely around +3 to +5 dice on average but is very situational.

This is why A ) mages are rare and B ) kill mages first...before they get to work. A mundane trying to sneak down a sterilized hallway where an astrally projecting mage is hanging out at the other end...game over. It would be like not noticing a dancing Christmas tree coming down the hall way. But a facility that can have mages hanging out 24/7 at the end of hallways is, well, not realistic (unless we're talking big big budget for funding, like Lofwyr's deltaclinic for his drop bear army). It's then left up to watchers and other spirits which are either very unreliable or expensive to maintain.
Yeah, I think we're on the same page here too.  Just pointing out that if that same mage was in a forest (where everything has an aura like our Infiltrater) and a person tried to sneak by darting between trees because he's avoiding mundane threats, it doesn't mean the mage on the astral gets an automatic victory on him because the Infiltrater didn't know he was there

Actually, having recently run Ghost Cartels and doing some observing in the astral while in a jungle, it can be harder to notice things then in the meat due to the modifiers found in SM p 114.  I think it was something like a -5 before even reaching the areas with the really good BC.
I think it's this last situation that ARC was speaking about, I just don't want anyone coming away from this discussion thinking that a infiltrator must know where each and every opposed observer (NPC, sensor, or otherwise) is in order to infiltrate successfully.

And I, politely (at least my intent has to come across as polite), disagree for the reasons above. And I would go so far as to say that a player must designate who or what they are trying to sneak past before they roll Infiltration. You have to perceive where the eyes are, and aren't, in order to know how to effectively avoid them, meat-body or otherwise. As a completely absurd and, hopefully, funny example...ever watch a movie with a guy sneaking around. Despite all his best efforts, even if the actor studied with ninjas for a decade on how to be sneaky, why does the audience always see him? :)
This part I disagree with a bit.  If you have ever walked into a room or place and after a minute notice that you DIDN'T notice another person already there, and they are surprised when you say hi to them, to me that shows the ability to sneak by something while unaware of it's presence.  Obviously not all things are like that, just the things that require that good old human element, where someone might be distracted or just plain oblivious.

Additionally, noticing something is the responsibility of the person doing the noticing.  The perception check needs to be done in order to observe, though situationally this can be drastically modified.  If you're not ruling that the person attempting to sneak is "Immediately Noticeable" (I think that's the term the book uses to negate the test), the observer needs to succeed the test, even if the Infiltrater is unaware of the observer.

Anyhow, that's it.  I think we agree on most points.  And again, I think the perception that I thought you could just waltz in past sensors was because I wasn't clear enough in my original post.

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #77 on: <10-22-11/0335:16> »
Discussions are good :) I like pinning ideas down but I'm always concerned I'll be taken as confrontational.

Part of it is that I was tired when I posted and did not empathize that I was mostly concerned with NPCs and other things that actually make an opposed Perception vs Infultration against the character.

That's it, right there :) That was the core missing element to your first post and I just wasn't quite sure which way you were actually leaning. And with that everything else falls into agreement except...(hehe, always an except)...

I think it's this last situation that ARC was speaking about, I just don't want anyone coming away from this discussion thinking that a infiltrator must know where each and every opposed observer (NPC, sensor, or otherwise) is in order to infiltrate successfully.

And I, politely (at least my intent has to come across as polite), disagree for the reasons above. And I would go so far as to say that a player must designate who or what they are trying to sneak past before they roll Infiltration. You have to perceive where the eyes are, and aren't, in order to know how to effectively avoid them, meat-body or otherwise. As a completely absurd and, hopefully, funny example...ever watch a movie with a guy sneaking around. Despite all his best efforts, even if the actor studied with ninjas for a decade on how to be sneaky, why does the audience always see him? :)
This part I disagree with a bit.  If you have ever walked into a room or place and after a minute notice that you DIDN'T notice another person already there, and they are surprised when you say hi to them, to me that shows the ability to sneak by something while unaware of it's presence.  Obviously not all things are like that, just the things that require that good old human element, where someone might be distracted or just plain oblivious.

Additionally, noticing something is the responsibility of the person doing the noticing.  The perception check needs to be done in order to observe, though situationally this can be drastically modified.  If you're not ruling that the person attempting to sneak is "Immediately Noticeable" (I think that's the term the book uses to negate the test), the observer needs to succeed the test, even if the Infiltrater is unaware of the observer.

Anyhow, that's it.  I think we agree on most points.  And again, I think the perception that I thought you could just waltz in past sensors was because I wasn't clear enough in my original post.

A character rolling a Perception check does not force those in his perception range to roll Infiltration. A character can walk into a room, roll Perception, and notice some or all details. Walking into the room, if the character is intent of finding a particular individual (who isn't trying to hide) then GM would set an arbitrary threshold based on how crowded the room is, other distractions, etc. Where if the target is the only individual in the room, the GM says, "no need to roll, he's there." If there's a dozen or more maybe a threshold of 1 or 2, in a house party 3 or 4, at a Concrete Dreams revival concert 5 or 6 or more. But the sought out individual is passive in this, he's part of the normal scene.

A character trying to sneak around, well, that's a roll that is Opposed. There's a target (or targets) and once designated they are allowed an opposition roll.  Take the individual alone in the room. He hears noises from outside the door and so he wants to hide. The GM can say, okay, behind the couch or behind the left curtain at the window which is drawn closed are the two best places to hide immediately (without leaving the room). So the character choose, rolls Infiltration. Now what if someone walks by the window (or a jumped-in drone drops down from the air to peak in, or a sniper across the way looks through his scope, etc.) after the character has hid but before the person(s) on the other side of the door come into the room.

If the character chose to hide behind the curtain, well, his back is against the window in plain view. If the character chose to hide behind the couch, the angle of the couch may be such that he's in plain sight to someone at the window, or half-blocked, etc.

As a GM I would have to say that the hiding character's Infiltration does not apply to the person walking by the window. All that matters is the passerby's Perception against a threshold of 1 if hiding behind the curtain, and 2 or 3 if behind the couch (depending on how much of the couch is blocking the hiding character, maybe higher or just impossible if the character is completely blocked from view). All normal Perception test modifiers still apply to the passerby, of course.

Anyone coming in the room, however, automatically must make a perception test opposed by the character's Infiltration +/- Perception modifiers as normal. The character is trying to hide from them and I would assume that the character is slowly moving around the couch to keep it between him and the target if he chose the couch.

For the crowded party example, in the opposite light. There's a character at the party, it's crowded, and standing near the middle of the room. If the player were to say to me, I want to use Infiltration. I'd have to ask, "against whom?" Certainly not everyone at the party, not the person he's having (or pretending to have) a conversation with. Even with a "slip out unnoticed" kind of attempt, then the modifiers are going to be huge...if he wants to slip out without anyone noticing him. Now, if the character mingles his way towards an exit and then says, "I'm sneaking out," that's different. 1st, he was noticed by some people to have actually been at the party as he mingled his way across the room (they may even remember in what direction he headed). 2nd, anyone facing in his direction (just cause that's the way their standing while talking at the party) would get a bonus to their Perceptions (and anyone standing with their backs to him would have negatives). But ultimately the character is still intent on using Infiltration against someone or something's Perception.

Now I can see how my original post could be taken as an extreme "player must designate each individual entity they are trying to sneak past" but that was not my intent (or maybe it was and I hadn't thought it all the way through, hehe). In certain situations it's fairly clear; "I'm sneaking across the corporate grounds to the back door." A Perception check on the part of the character will let the GM know whether he notices any or all of the cameras, guards, etc. Then the Infiltration check to set the thresholds for anyone watching those cameras or guards on the grounds. Now if joe-average wageslave comes out the back door, and walks across the grounds over to the parking lot, well, the character would still be using Infiltration against the wageslave so long as the character makes a Perception test to notice the wageslave (which would be pretty easy as the wageslave is keeping to the lighted walkway, opens/closes the door normally, etc.).

But if the character didn't notice a guard on one side of the grounds, then that guard is just going to roll a perception check (with modifiers as appropriate) against a standard threshold because the infiltrating character is using bushes, planters, obstacles, etc.  to keep LOS at a minimum between the known threats...which may just put him in plain view to the unknown threats. This works both ways, were a group of ninjas sneaking up on the PCs would get Infiltration vs Perception against all the PCs except the ones they were unaware of. Those unknown-to-the-ninja PCs would get a regular Perception check (with the appropriate modifiers) to notice the ninjas.

To end, all characters are considered to be normally aware and perceiving their surroundings. For characters to notice the obvious it is the responsibility of the GM. At the next level it's the responsibility for players to have their characters to take a moment to actively perceive if they feel there may be something hidden from being obvious. At the final level Players who are actively having their characters sneak around are responsible to designate who or what (even if it's a general whose or whats) in order to let the GM know who he/she's rolling Perception for in the Opposed Test. I haven't come across anything RAW to counter this line of thought. If you have the page numbers or some other examples that would counter this way of thinking, throw'em at me as better here than at the game table and be caught by surprise :)
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #78 on: <10-22-11/1335:30> »
That'll work, thanks. I can finally make sure the infiltration expert doesn't slip into the corporate building, calmly walk to the top, kill the boss, and calmly leave. With his insane disguise and etiquette and infiltrate rolls, only the most insane modifiers could check him, or pure GM fiat, which i despise but will use if necessary.

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #79 on: <10-22-11/1407:11> »
On the disguise part, don't forget that generic is easier than specific, and sometime pulling off specific is darn near impossible.

I can look like a generic security guard. With care and planning I can look like Joe who works the midnight shift. It'll take luck to convince Joe's shiftmates, who've known him for a couple of years, that I'm Joe. If Joe's got a regular partner, I might as well plan to get rid of that partner as soon as possible unless I've got help (influence or alter memory). And if I didn't do the research to know that Jim coming off-shift is Joe's source for his Betel, I'm going to bite it hard from an unexpected direction.

Tagz

• Omae
« Reply #80 on: <10-26-11/1636:45> »
Sorry again about not posting a response sooner, I had a couple of stressful days at work and didn't want to post while angry or annoyed at something else.  Didn't want it to bleed over.

Anyhow, I think I see why we're doing things differently.  First, I think we're both using different valid RAW interpretations.  I haven't seen anything in your posts that appears that it breaks RAW, and I know nothing in mine does either.  The second is I'm willing to bet you handle infiltration a little more abstract then I do (I usually pull out the grid and markers when it comes up).

So here's how it is at my table:

An infiltrating player makes a perception test to notice potential problems.  Any that he/she sees I mark on the grid.  Then the player decides what path to take that will give them the best chance.  If they miss a guard that was tough to spot, then it doesn't show up on the grid and the player doesn't know about them.  But the player still gets to choose the route they take, and that route may or may not take them into the visual path of the hidden guard.

Now the part that makes me apply stealth use when the Infiltrator is unaware of the perceiver:
Another thing is that I don't just use the visual sense in detecting a ninja on the premiss.  Sound, scent (one of my player's has this as their best sense), touch, all can apply.  So when a player chooses a path that keeps makes use of visual cover, they still need to be quiet, etc, also handled by Infiltration.  So when a character knows a perciever is there, even if they keep full cover they still need to roll infiltration so the guard doesn't hear them and come looking.

Now lets say for example that the character chose to go down a row of large stacked crates in a warehouse.  There is a guard on the other side for both sides, placed so that when the character is directly opposite on the are opposite the other at the same time, but the character is only aware of one of them.  The route will never let the character be seen by those two.  The guards cannot see the character but can possibly hear him/her, obviously.  How would this roll be performed?  One opposed roll and one threshold?  The character in question didn't know to... what, redirect the reverberations in a different direction?  Seems to me like both guards would be trying to pick up the same amount of sound intensity, so should have the same hit requirement.

But ok, lets roll with the idea of different kinds of tests for this.
Looking at the chart on SR4A p136, it looks like a 3 or 5 would be the threshold to notice the character.  We'll pick 3 for this example, "muffled" sounds about right for careful footsteps.
But our ninja is damn good at sneaking, she gets 5 hits.
It's harder for the guard she's aware of to notice her but easier for the guard she didn't know about, but there's no reason for that advantage.  They were equidistant and got the same amount of noise at the same time.  Any advantage one gets over the other should come from a bonus to their situation, a modifier to their test.

Why should visual be different?  Not knowing the guard is there should effect modifiers, not remove the ability to reduce your presence.  Staying low to the ground and quiet would reduce the chance your noticed, even if you didn't know the person was there.  Maybe not knowing they were there you crossed their field of vision, sure, they'll see you, but it's because they have an advantage to see that area.  Not knowing they were there didn't make you go there.  It also doesn't mean that staying low wouldn't make you harder to see in many circumstances.

I'm going to tell a short story of something that actually happened when I was a kid, playing a game of manhunt at night.  I was being hunted and needed to get away from my hiding place, but the only route to me was past my friend who hadn't spotted me yet.  No cover except that of night.  So what I did was I got on my belly and crawled, slowly and quietly past him on the wet grass.  It worked, I got past him and kept crawling for a while before getting up and running.  Only thing was, I got past TWO of my friends.  One was wearing all black and I didn't see him, I only found out later when they said they were together the entire time.  Now, I daresay that if I didn't crawl and stay so quiet I would have been noticed, and my actions applied to both of them despite my lack of awareness of one of them.  It was my skill test that avoided breaking a twig or crushing leaves, my performance determined how difficult it was for BOTH of them, not just one.

So, going back to your examples:  The window where the drone pops up, well, the character's stealth still applies, but the drone gets a positive modifier for "Object stands out in some way" +2 and a "Superior Position" modifier determined by how dead on it's vision is pointed at the window.  If it was dead on enough that it's impossible (certainly would be in this situation) I'd add +∞.

But my point remains on two things:
1) The test is still in opposition, it's just in some cases it's extremely one-sided to the point that you don't bother rolling.  And not knowing it's in opposition is not what makes it an opposed test, it's when the two actions are in conflict, one making the other more difficult.  If the character is trying to remain unseen and is taking appropriate action, then they should be harder to see based on their roll.  And if they pick a bad path and run smack into a guard's vision, well, it's not for lack of trying to reduce their presence they're seen, it's because the guard has an advantage to see that space.
2) That the Perception roll itself is not what creates this situation, it's the information received from it and the player's decisions based on that info.  A failure to notice a guard doesn't mean the player HAS to encounter that guard.  I'd only do that if the player glitched or critically glitched on their perception roll.  Instead the player makes a choice and that choice may or may not change the situation, and with a changed situation come modifiers to the test.  For instance, not knowing the guard was there might take away all cover modifiers and give the guard a "superior positioning" bonus for where the player tries to sneak.

Also, it didn't take long for me to find a way to exploit not using this as an opposed test.
Lets take Mr.Fumbles, a hacker who defaults on Infiltration with 3 Agility.  He gets himself chameleon suit with thermo damping, a F2 spirit from the mage to use Concealment on him, and intentionally does not check for guards.  Ok, clearly metagaming shamelessly, but he actually has about the same chance of avoiding detection if the test is not opposed given his low pool, relying on the negatives to the opposition.  Doesn't seem so bad, but he's taken away the possibility of glitching or critical glitching with his 2 dicepool.  And since he can only get 2 hits max, a threshold of 1 to 5+ without chance of glitch seems pretty good, unless of course, you say that he HAS to go through a path of an observer because he didn't see them, which would still be railroading even if the metagamer did deserve some comeupons.  Anyhow, not a power-game exploit, and can easily just bash your metagamer with the corebook for trying it, but a low level one nonetheless that technically would work using your method.

Anyway, been really enjoying this and am eagerly awaiting your reply.

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #81 on: <10-27-11/0557:28> »
Sorry again about not posting a response sooner, I had a couple of stressful days at work and didn't want to post while angry or annoyed at something else.  Didn't want it to bleed over.

"Could it be, that once again, you are angry at something else and are looking to take it out on me?" hehe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTUmczVdik
You've come across as quite civilized, Tagz, and I too have been enjoying the discussion. :)

Anyhow, I think I see why we're doing things differently.  First, I think we're both using different valid RAW interpretations.  I haven't seen anything in your posts that appears that it breaks RAW, and I know nothing in mine does either.  The second is I'm willing to bet you handle infiltration a little more abstract then I do (I usually pull out the grid and markers when it comes up).

Abstract! Abstract! hehe, who you callin' abstract?! Got me all geared up to argue (with a smile and enjoymental funz) with that one...

So here's how it is at my table:

An infiltrating player makes a perception test to notice potential problems.  Any that he/she sees I mark on the grid.  Then the player decides what path to take that will give them the best chance.  If they miss a guard that was tough to spot, then it doesn't show up on the grid and the player doesn't know about them.  But the player still gets to choose the route they take, and that route may or may not take them into the visual path of the hidden guard.

Sounds like my table so far...

Now the part that makes me apply stealth use when the Infiltrator is unaware of the perceiver:
Another thing is that I don't just use the visual sense in detecting a ninja on the premiss.  Sound, scent (one of my player's has this as their best sense), touch, all can apply.  So when a player chooses a path that keeps makes use of visual cover, they still need to be quiet, etc, also handled by Infiltration.  So when a character knows a perciever is there, even if they keep full cover they still need to roll infiltration so the guard doesn't hear them and come looking.

Now lets say for example that the character chose to go down a row of large stacked crates in a warehouse.  There is a guard on the other side for both sides, placed so that when the character is directly opposite on the are opposite the other at the same time, but the character is only aware of one of them.  The route will never let the character be seen by those two.  The guards cannot see the character but can possibly hear him/her, obviously.  How would this roll be performed?  One opposed roll and one threshold?  The character in question didn't know to... what, redirect the reverberations in a different direction?  Seems to me like both guards would be trying to pick up the same amount of sound intensity, so should have the same hit requirement.

Fizzygoo kneels at the table, presents his bound pinky upon the cutting board, and with one deft movement severs it at the first knuckle. Wrapping it in the ceremonial cloth, Fizzygoo then presents it to Tagz.

That would be an example where I totally agree. Doesn't matter if the character knows the person is there or not. I guess to fit it to my point of view, I would say that the character's intent is to sneak past the guard(s) below by moving quietly along the tops of the crates.

Why should visual be different?  Not knowing the guard is there should effect modifiers, not remove the ability to reduce your presence.  Staying low to the ground and quiet would reduce the chance your noticed, even if you didn't know the person was there.  Maybe not knowing they were there you crossed their field of vision, sure, they'll see you, but it's because they have an advantage to see that area.  Not knowing they were there didn't make you go there.  It also doesn't mean that staying low wouldn't make you harder to see in many circumstances.

I'm going to tell a short story of something that actually happened when I was a kid, playing a game of manhunt at night.  I was being hunted and needed to get away from my hiding place, but the only route to me was past my friend who hadn't spotted me yet.  No cover except that of night.  So what I did was I got on my belly and crawled, slowly and quietly past him on the wet grass.  It worked, I got past him and kept crawling for a while before getting up and running.  Only thing was, I got past TWO of my friends.  One was wearing all black and I didn't see him, I only found out later when they said they were together the entire time.  Now, I daresay that if I didn't crawl and stay so quiet I would have been noticed, and my actions applied to both of them despite my lack of awareness of one of them.  It was my skill test that avoided breaking a twig or crushing leaves, my performance determined how difficult it was for BOTH of them, not just one.

I want to argue, "visual is different because it works in a different medium. Visual is contingent on LOS and it is (meta)humanities primary sensing tool (often surpassing touch once the childhood exploration phase is over). Smell, sound, are all, to put it Shadowrunly, area effects, the sound of your steps, the smell emanating from you, all expand three dimensionally. But vision, straight lines (yes yes, casting shadows, reflections, etc, but all are line effects from the sneaker to the observer). " But in doing so I'm only revealing my own bias towards the visual, relegating sound and smell to afterthoughts.

So, going back to your examples:  The window where the drone pops up, well, the character's stealth still applies, but the drone gets a positive modifier for "Object stands out in some way" +2 and a "Superior Position" modifier determined by how dead on it's vision is pointed at the window.  If it was dead on enough that it's impossible (certainly would be in this situation) I'd add +∞.

Eek, an infinity. But otherwise all I've got is "I don't like this." Heh. I think this is why; The character rolls Infiltration (with bonuses for having the curtain) against the person in the room's Perception. Then, a turn or two later, the drone drops down. Are we still using the net hits from the initial Infiltration roll, even though the character wouldn't get a bonus for the curtain? Or let's say no curtain bonus but a smoke grenade had gone off in the room...never mind, that's a modifier to Perception, not Infiltration. There are no situational bonuses to Infiltration...hmmm. The deeper I dig, the worse it gets for me.

I like the "Object stands out in some way" use and would even add the "Character actively looking for it" +3 bonus. So with a +5 bonus it almost makes me think there should be a reciprocal to the blind fire modifier, an obvious fire (for Perception only, natch) for just a flat out +6. With those modifiers I'm far more comfortable to your way of thinking, Tagz.

But my point remains on two things:
1) The test is still in opposition, it's just in some cases it's extremely one-sided to the point that you don't bother rolling.  And not knowing it's in opposition is not what makes it an opposed test, it's when the two actions are in conflict, one making the other more difficult.  If the character is trying to remain unseen and is taking appropriate action, then they should be harder to see based on their roll.  And if they pick a bad path and run smack into a guard's vision, well, it's not for lack of trying to reduce their presence they're seen, it's because the guard has an advantage to see that space.
2) That the Perception roll itself is not what creates this situation, it's the information received from it and the player's decisions based on that info.  A failure to notice a guard doesn't mean the player HAS to encounter that guard.  I'd only do that if the player glitched or critically glitched on their perception roll.  Instead the player makes a choice and that choice may or may not change the situation, and with a changed situation come modifiers to the test.  For instance, not knowing the guard was there might take away all cover modifiers and give the guard a "superior positioning" bonus for where the player tries to sneak.

Yeah, now that I realize that all situational modifiers are applied to the Perception side of the roll and the Infiltrator has to rely on skill and attribute alone it totally makes sense. I had the misconception that there was, somewhere, a table of modifiers to Infiltration. But it so works to have the player roll once for their infiltration trip/journey/trek and then have the various "perceivers" make their modified rolls along the way until something happens that would require a new roll by the infiltrator.

Also, it didn't take long for me to find a way to exploit not using this as an opposed test.
Lets take Mr.Fumbles, a hacker who defaults on Infiltration with 3 Agility.  He gets himself chameleon suit with thermo damping, a F2 spirit from the mage to use Concealment on him, and intentionally does not check for guards.  Ok, clearly metagaming shamelessly, but he actually has about the same chance of avoiding detection if the test is not opposed given his low pool, relying on the negatives to the opposition.  Doesn't seem so bad, but he's taken away the possibility of glitching or critical glitching with his 2 dicepool.  And since he can only get 2 hits max, a threshold of 1 to 5+ without chance of glitch seems pretty good, unless of course, you say that he HAS to go through a path of an observer because he didn't see them, which would still be railroading even if the metagamer did deserve some comeupons.  Anyhow, not a power-game exploit, and can easily just bash your metagamer with the corebook for trying it, but a low level one nonetheless that technically would work using your method.

Well, Concealment subtracts dice from the Perception test, so there still would be opposed tests, yes?

Anyway, been really enjoying this and am eagerly awaiting your reply.

So, to 'splain, no there is to much. Let me sum up...I concede. The infiltrator does not have to know who or what he/she is sneaking against, but those he/she is not aware of may get situational modifiers to their Perception tests. Characters do need to know about passive alarms (in most cases) in order to get past them if they enter the area in which the passive alarm is active and many passive alarms do not rely on Infiltration to bypass. Characters sneaking past sensors use Infiltration but in some cases they must be known (such as sound/vibration detectors "Characters attempting to sneak by a known sound detector must succeed at an Infiltration + Agility (3) Test [Silence or Stealth spells can also be used)." SR4A 262, my emphasis).

"I love it when a plan rational discussion comes together." :)
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #82 on: <10-27-11/0847:10> »
An interesting consequence of this discussion (particularly Fizzygoo's last walkthrough) is that it works to explain infiltration against the astral.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #83 on: <10-27-11/1806:08> »
Interesting... indeed. xD
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #84 on: <10-27-11/1822:37> »
Interesting... indeed. xD
sigh - yeah, that came off as pompous. Take it as given that I meant "YAY, I now have basis for infiltrating against astral spirits."

Especially since the normal other-side argument is "You can't infiltrate against astral unless you can perceive astrally."

Tagz

• Omae
« Reply #85 on: <10-27-11/2245:44> »
I've had an excellent time debating this with you Fizzygoo, and I think we both came away from this with some new info perspective, and hopefully newcomers to the game who read up on these posts take something from it as well.  I've been in many Infiltration discussions here and on DS and this was definitely the one with the best thought out arguments, which really made me have to think hard how to present my case, and I'm glad I was convincing.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #86 on: <11-08-11/0243:08> »
  Or have a security checkpoint in one direction, and a bunch of half-drunk 'Joe's Birthday Party' wageslaves come the other way, completely filling the hall. 

Had a similar scenario happen at a game I was playing in, only with the slight variation that this was an axe-wielding Sam having to sneak because our "sneaky bastard" was a metahuman and the target was inside a Yakuza-run club that wouldn't let anyone but humans in the door.

Axe Sam got past the security at the "private" area by the expedient of two others in the group creating a distraction (w/ Face Elf getting tazed unconscious in the process) and got upstairs to the hall outside where the target was. Just as the Sam was about to go in she heard someone about to come out, and the hallway had nowhere to hide. Her solution?  Use gymnastics! She Jackie Chaned up to the top of the walls just past the door and braced herself until the person had gone downstairs.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #87 on: <11-08-11/1127:41> »
  Or have a security checkpoint in one direction, and a bunch of half-drunk 'Joe's Birthday Party' wageslaves come the other way, completely filling the hall. 

Had a similar scenario happen at a game I was playing in, only with the slight variation that this was an axe-wielding Sam having to sneak because our "sneaky bastard" was a metahuman and the target was inside a Yakuza-run club that wouldn't let anyone but humans in the door.

Axe Sam got past the security at the "private" area by the expedient of two others in the group creating a distraction (w/ Face Elf getting tazed unconscious in the process) and got upstairs to the hall outside where the target was. Just as the Sam was about to go in she heard someone about to come out, and the hallway had nowhere to hide. Her solution?  Use gymnastics! She Jackie Chaned up to the top of the walls just past the door and braced herself until the person had gone downstairs.

Wow, I must say. Bravo to that quick thinking. xD
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #88 on: <11-12-11/0954:31> »
Maybe use an auto roller? My buddy has this power, he jut can't seem to roll badly on dice. It's made me flip more than game of monopoly .

(Fuck this game)
           V
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

What are these people doing playing Shadowrun when they could be getting rich playing in Vegas?!