NEWS

Player Incentive/Development (GM perspective)

• 69 Replies

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #30 on: <11-12-11/1402:38> »
Slow levelling has been one of the biggest problems I've had with SR as a player (I like roleplaying, but seeing my character gain power and knowing it's getting somewhere is important too) and for a long time I thought the SR system was to blame for this. But then after some different GMs I found that this doesn't have to be the case.
* Increasing the rewards, in pay but most importantly in karma rewards did a lot to give a sense of improving. (We started playing with Missions 2 and all got the feeling there just wasn't any character progression, we were gaining maybe 3-5 karma every month of playtime; at that rate just increasing a stat from 5 to 6 would take at least a year. So after some testing, we set to receiving the same amount of karma after every play session depending on how much progress we made, what/how we did etc.
* Karma for Nuyen (and vice versa) have been used successfully. (I never got the feeling this let the mage get too far away from the non-magic-users in the group. Also allowed the 0.1 essence sammy to get some better-grade 'ware because he was "stuck" and the gun nut/rigger to actually be able to one day buy that ridiculously expensive weapon/bot of his dreams (damned that ceramic components price!))
* But the most rewarding improvement in character progression ended up being roleplaying, not charbuilding, rewards. (Playing as part of a gang and saving up money to improve your neighborhood and upgrade your gang's gear from leather coats and knives to Armored Jackets with a gang logo and Predators or Uzi's, great fun! Gaining a new contact that looks like it could actually become a very valuable friend/asset if you work it right, awesome! Just being called to a meeting in a exclusive place where you get to skip the 2 hour line and just walk in the VIP entrance gave a great "look at us, we're in the big leagues now" ego boost.)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #31 on: <11-13-11/1516:54> »
Here's an idea.  It's a Role playing game.  Make it about something for the role.  Make it a pride issue for the character.  Someone messes with his home turf, his family, have his bank account hacked, embarrass the character so he or she has to act or loose face or more.  Karma is worth it, but having 3.2 mil swiped from their account and have to do a run to get it back can be worth it.
Pride and Respect.  It's two things that are both easy and hard to find in people at times.  Sometimes they have them in spades, somethings they have anything but that.

If the character is well-built storyline wise (Or the right Qualities), you'll be able to figure out what theirs is (or isn't, as the case may be), and play off those two things.

Sometimes, it can be as simple as stealing an retired soldier's armoured jacket with his denied unit patch on it.  Hell, Highwater, and all the Devil's Shadowrunners won't stop that soldier from getting it back.  And Heaven better stay the hell out of the way as well, as that'll be crushed as well.

Sometimes it can be as complex as actually rebuilding an entire life from scratch.  SIN, house, spouse, geneformed puppydog with the waggily tail and a 80-year lifespan...  And then show the price of it all.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <11-13-11/1527:49> »
Gear and Money.

Allows the players to go under the knife and cyber up. For the Karma players (Mages, Adepts and Technomancers [oh, my!]), you can put the optional Karma for Nuyen house-rule into place.

Wasn't aware that SR4 had that optional rule anywhere. Kinda curious where it is, because I likes it :)
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #33 on: <11-14-11/0531:44> »
Gear and Money.

Allows the players to go under the knife and cyber up. For the Karma players (Mages, Adepts and Technomancers [oh, my!]), you can put the optional Karma for Nuyen house-rule into place.

Wasn't aware that SR4 had that optional rule anywhere. Kinda curious where it is, because I likes it :)

Answer was posted earlier: It's an optional rule from earlier editions they stick to.
Gear and Money.

What rule is that?

An optional rule from SR2 and SR3 where you could cash in Nuyen for Karma or Karma for Nuyen, depending on the character's need(s).
It's stuck around as a house rule in many games as a way to balance out Razorboys/girls and Mages advancement.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <11-14-11/1123:03> »
Oh, all right then. May just end up bringing it back myself at some point. Just need to figure up a good exchange rate. I've done something completely broken with the 1000 nuyen for 1 karma default...

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #35 on: <11-14-11/1414:02> »
Oh, all right then. May just end up bringing it back myself at some point. Just need to figure up a good exchange rate. I've done something completely broken with the 1000 nuyen for 1 karma default...

Wasn't it 2,500¥ = 1 Karma?
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #36 on: <11-14-11/1436:40> »
Yeah
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <11-14-11/1437:02> »
Shadowrun Companion for SR3 gave two figures for getting Karma for nuyen. One was 100 nuyen for 1 karma and the other was 1000 nuyen for 1 karma. Personally, I have seen what 1000/1 can do if a character has accumulated 12 mill, so that might be a bit low...then again who is gonna be able to accumulate that much cash in most cases. (The GM was kinda foolish in handing out pay.)

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #38 on: <11-14-11/1451:15> »
that's one of those things that you need to make sure you don't set it as a hard fast rule but allow as a trial basis.

adjust the game as needed constantly
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #39 on: <11-14-11/1459:37> »
that's one of those things that you need to make sure you don't set it as a hard fast rule but allow as a trial basis.

adjust the game as needed constantly

Yeah, definitely one of those things that you try out and adjust as needed. Depending on how much money you give to your players per run, I'd say start at the 1000/1 ratio and if that seems to be too little for your game increase gradually until you get to a good "sweet spot". Now if you're really stingy with giving good pay, the 100/1 might work.

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
« Reply #40 on: <11-14-11/1507:11> »
i'd prolly stick with the 2,500¥ per 1 karma to begin with, as i don't think karma should be easy to gain

though i might pull an exchange bank buy and sell rates concept
buy karma (2,500¥ each)
buy ¥ (1 karma gets you 1000¥)

fair? maybe
usable? if they choose to

remember folks: SR is definitely an "all things go against the player" / "round to the detriment of the player" sort of world
« Last Edit: <11-14-11/1617:08> by beowulf_of_wa »
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #41 on: <11-14-11/1614:19> »
I just viewed it as an economy, buy low, sell high.

I also had a free spirit in mind to do it with, but I should stop showing him as anyone I play with is scared to use the rule.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <11-14-11/1620:35> »
remember folks: SR is definitely an "all things go against the player" / "round to the detriment of the player" sort of world

Actually, SR says to round to the player's benefit.  ;D
― Albert Einstein

― Me

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
« Reply #43 on: <11-14-11/1632:29> »
which edition?

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <11-14-11/1645:00> »
which edition?

SR4. The text always says "round up" when it's to the player's benefit to be higher, and "round down" when it's to the player's benefit to be lower. That's just what I've gathered from reading the books, though.
― Albert Einstein

― Me