NEWS

How do I kill this NPC?

• 72 Replies

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #30 on: <09-24-11/0714:55> »
The GM Fillibuster definitely works better than plain old "GM Fiat" (Nope, he's dead, bugger off, no you can't heal him, nope, nope, nope). And it works better than using the game mechanics to forcefully frustrate any / all efforts by the players. The only drawback it poses is if the group really doesn't like suspending the rules system to allow for better drama, and if they feel this way, you might want to have a talk with your group about everyone's expectations at the table.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #31 on: <09-25-11/0843:32> »
The other thing to remember is that healing or a medkit take time to work. If someone is mortally wounded (ie 1 box from death) on average they have taken about 11 boxes of damage.

For healing the time that the spell needs to be sustained to make it permanent is twice the Drain Value. So in the above stated instance it would take 18 combat turns for the healing to occur. During that time the victim would ltake two more boxes of damage. Ooops he dies while you are healing.

First Aid is a bit more doable(depending on GM ruling), but only if they think ahead . It takes a number of combat turns equal to the number of boxes attempted to be healed. If the ruling is that you always attempt to heal all boxes of damage then it would take 11 combat turns to heal and like above the victim bleeds out during the process. If you rule that it is possible to try and treat a lower number of boxes you could go after 3 boxes to take the victim out of the woods, and would accomplish this before bleedout, but the NPC will be in no shape to do anything being 1 box from unconscious and unable to be healed short of a hospital at this point..

Now a mage could stabilize then heal the victim, but the heal would probably leave him hurting himself.

The other thing is that as people have said many times including in this thread I believe is that players will always surprise you. If you go the gunshot route they might well spend the couple of rounds circling the wagons, listening to the dying message, and trying to get the sniper rather than healing the victim. I recently ran a game where when the team met with the Johnson to get paid and drop off the goods the meet was ambushed by a third party. The Johnson took a sniper round to start the combat. My plan was that Johnson realizing he needs more backup will hire the team to go with him to his buyer for an additional fee. The meet was on the street in the Barrens between the teams van and the Johnson's car. Johnson gets shot and the character meeting with him jumps into the van and as Johnson makes his plea the character left him in the open (they hadn't been paid for the run yet either) as the only target visible and Mr. Johnson takes three more rounds in the combat turn. Things got ugly from there and they ended up not getting paid for the run they did even as they drove off and left Johnson behind.
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #32 on: <09-25-11/1240:48> »
There is rule for stabilization of wounde character, successfull test stops further bleeding and character can be taken care of- first aid etc...

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <09-26-11/1237:24> »
The other thing to remember is that healing or a medkit take time to work. If someone is mortally wounded (ie 1 box from death) on average they have taken about 11 boxes of damage.

For healing the time that the spell needs to be sustained to make it permanent is twice the Drain Value. So in the above stated instance it would take 18 combat turns for the healing to occur. During that time the victim would ltake two more boxes of damage. Ooops he dies while you are healing.

First Aid is a bit more doable(depending on GM ruling), but only if they think ahead . It takes a number of combat turns equal to the number of boxes attempted to be healed. If the ruling is that you always attempt to heal all boxes of damage then it would take 11 combat turns to heal and like above the victim bleeds out during the process. If you rule that it is possible to try and treat a lower number of boxes you could go after 3 boxes to take the victim out of the woods, and would accomplish this before bleedout, but the NPC will be in no shape to do anything being 1 box from unconscious and unable to be healed short of a hospital at this point..

Now a mage could stabilize then heal the victim, but the heal would probably leave him hurting himself.

The other thing is that as people have said many times including in this thread I believe is that players will always surprise you. If you go the gunshot route they might well spend the couple of rounds circling the wagons, listening to the dying message, and trying to get the sniper rather than healing the victim. I recently ran a game where when the team met with the Johnson to get paid and drop off the goods the meet was ambushed by a third party. The Johnson took a sniper round to start the combat. My plan was that Johnson realizing he needs more backup will hire the team to go with him to his buyer for an additional fee. The meet was on the street in the Barrens between the teams van and the Johnson's car. Johnson gets shot and the character meeting with him jumps into the van and as Johnson makes his plea the character left him in the open (they hadn't been paid for the run yet either) as the only target visible and Mr. Johnson takes three more rounds in the combat turn. Things got ugly from there and they ended up not getting paid for the run they did even as they drove off and left Johnson behind.

wow that's cold... xD
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #34 on: <09-27-11/0736:37> »

wow that's cold... xD

No, it aint. Underlned text is appliable only if stabilizing wasnt done yet, and it is not too difficult to stabilize victim...or at least it should be done very quickly. AFB now, Ill send a reference later.
Without this first aid would be completely useles...I dont understand what it means: ...think ahead...in this situation...like applying first aid before character even gets hurt?

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <09-27-11/1153:45> »

wow that's cold... xD

No, it aint. Underlned text is appliable only if stabilizing wasnt done yet, and it is not too difficult to stabilize victim...or at least it should be done very quickly. AFB now, Ill send a reference later.
Without this first aid would be completely useles...I dont understand what it means: ...think ahead...in this situation...like applying first aid before character even gets hurt?

I meant the getting the hell out of dodge and leaving the johnson behind was cold. (to me) Sorry I wasn't more specific, I knew there might be some confusion but I left it short anyways. I appologize.
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #36 on: <09-27-11/1204:14> »
Bah, the Johnson was just going to screw them in the end anyhow...
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Elizara Dane

• Newb
  • Discreet negotiations and arbitrations by request
« Reply #37 on: <09-27-11/1234:46> »
What about having him get shot in the heart and then invoking the dead man's trigger rule? 164 SR4A
My goal? Dear, my one goal is only the most noble goal of all...

A life of luxury, of course.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #38 on: <09-27-11/1238:59> »
Shot through the heart...  But who's to blame?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #39 on: <09-27-11/1259:17> »
Sorry, man. Bon Jovi is going to get a Smite.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #40 on: <09-27-11/1305:24> »

You give love a bad name. :P

What you don't like Bon Jovi, FastJack?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #41 on: <09-27-11/1307:17> »
Pop culture references age badly.  I'm sure most of the kids on the forums are wondering what the hell I'm quoting and who the hell this Jon Bovi guy is.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #42 on: <09-27-11/1321:55> »

He just has a very smite-able nature.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #43 on: <09-27-11/1324:31> »

He just has a very smite-able nature.

Are you his -16 smites then? lol!

Anyways >.> I'm 20 almost 21 and consider myself towards the younger and I still got that... <.<

*shrugs* aw well.

:D

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #44 on: <09-27-11/1434:42> »
I don't get it. Bon Jovi?