NEWS

Wirless bonus

• 76 Replies

orcmeat

• Newb
« on: <02-13-14/0928:32> »
So I GMed for a two years using the 4e rules and took a break before 5e came out. Now I am gearing up for another small campaign. I dont wish to beat a dead horse but I what are the running ideas about all the wireless bonuses? I feel that a few are a little silly and prolly wont include them (hydrolic jacks im looking at you). I am curious what other GM's have done or plan to do with them?
Just because it has stats, Doesn't mean you can kill it

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <02-13-14/0933:49> »
My plan is to erase nearly every dicepool bonus, since I liked the idea of balancing things out by removing those. Probably the only one that gets to stay will be medkits.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

orcmeat

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-13-14/1031:04> »
So would the items then not have any sort of wireless at all, or make the unwired benefit the wireless benefit?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <02-13-14/1034:10> »
Smartguns still got wireless benefits, though frankly I also kinda disagree with those (so you can't give a command over a wire as Free Action but you can over wireless? huh?), but no, I wasn't intending on making wired benefits wireless benefits.

Anyway, some things would still require communication, which means hacking either the gun or the commlink, such as Advanced Safety from Arsenal and perhaps Run&Gun. There's still a few wireless things after all, and you need a connection to begin with for smartgun benefits, wired or wireless. But I'd rather the players take the risk for something other than dice.

orcmeat

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <02-13-14/1042:37> »
As a side thought the medkit would get the benefit of the dice pool if its wireless, what would bricking the med kit do?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <02-13-14/1046:07> »
While it's curing someone? Ooof... Tough call. Probably simply cancel the healing, and take away the ability to use it until repaired. Hacking it and getting it to do nasty things, on the other hand...

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #6 on: <02-13-14/1046:33> »
Bricking breaks it entirely, from what I can tell, but I would allow someone to make a straight first aid check (seeing as there aren't any vanilla first aid kits in the BBB). Now, jamming it might be a different thing entirely, although this starts to get close to a sore spot with one of Aaron's clarifications. ;)
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <02-13-14/1047:43> »
*grumblemuttermutter*

orcmeat

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <02-13-14/1108:00> »
I could see if it was being automated bricking it or hacking it would be bad, but if a trained person is using it wireless, and it goes down would that mean the components of the med-kit are broken meaning that he would get the -3 modifier for not having supplies?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #9 on: <02-13-14/1111:00> »
Nah, he'd still have the supplies, he simply wouldn't get a dicepool bonus from it.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #10 on: <02-13-14/1117:37> »
Agreed.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

orcmeat

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <02-13-14/1126:46> »
another one that I am curious about with the medical ones is the trauma patch. that seems pretty big and i cant wrap my head around.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #12 on: <02-13-14/1130:57> »
Yeah, that one is rather silly. I guess it's using a database to look up what the injuries are and how to stop the bleeding and such for now?

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <02-13-14/1259:59> »
So I GMed for a two years using the 4e rules and took a break before 5e came out. Now I am gearing up for another small campaign. I dont wish to beat a dead horse but I what are the running ideas about all the wireless bonuses? I feel that a few are a little silly and prolly wont include them (hydrolic jacks im looking at you). I am curious what other GM's have done or plan to do with them?

They're all extremely silly. Your best bet is to utterly ignore the entire "wireless bonus" section of the system and treat all the gear just like you would its SR4A counterpart.

In short, possibly an interesting idea that fell way short.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

orcmeat

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <02-13-14/1312:49> »
I plan on using at least some of them at the start at least. If my players dont like the idea it will get nixed or altered. I like the idea but am curious about the execution.