NEWS

Qabbalist Mentor Spirit Help

• 6 Replies

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« on: <12-03-14/2144:02> »
So I've made a character (who is otherwise fully completed) who is a qabbalist and who's mentor spirit is Gevurah, the fifth sephirot.  My difficulty is that I'm having trouble deciding which (if any) of the existing mentor spirits fit Gevurah.  Mostly it's just the mechanics.  That is, the bonuses and drawbacks, since the fluff can be completely ignored in favor of the qabbalist-themed style.

From what I've gathered, Gevurah is the sephirot of might and severity, justice and law, and fire.  It's about inner strength and conviction, discipline and form.  While it represents a lot and is rather vague, it's relatively easy to grasp the general idea of it, I think.

One thing that stands out to me is that in the qabbalistic beliefs I've read, Gevurah is not an ideal as much as it's just an element of personality, and "too much" can result in negative things like cruelty or stubbornness (in the worst way).

So, in keeping with the idea of a character who is lead by the embodiment of this, and as a result is severe and occasionally cruel or quick to punish, but is strong, with powerful beliefs and a sense of justice, I considered a few as possible:

Thunderbird fits the downsides of the sephirot well enough.  Responding to insults in kind makes me think of someone who is quick to condemn people who belittle their beliefs.  The intimidation fits, if only because the image I get of the sephirot is one of presence, and intimidation would help with that.  However, the bonus to summoning spirits of air I'd probably want to change to spirits of fire.  Thunderbird doesn't really fit much of the good points of Gevurah though...

Dragonslayer could work.  The bonus to one social skill could be intimidation if I wanted it to, or it could be something else if I felt that fit better (like perhaps Leadership?).  The combat spells bonus I'm unsure about.  I don't know how in-line violence is with the meanings of the sephirot.  Perhaps though, in a world like Shadowrun, it would mean more.  The drawback of Dragonslayer I'm also unsure of.  I didn't see anything about honor specifically in what I've read.  I could have missed it though, so if anyone understands more and says it totally fits, that's cool.

Would one of these work?  Maybe with minor tweaks?  Or would it be best just to make a completely new mentor spirit for it?
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

8-bit

« Reply #1 on: <12-03-14/2147:23> »
Wise Warrior seems like it might also work as well. I could even see Wolf working; you don't back down once your in (of course, the tracking bonus is kind of, meh).

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <12-03-14/2157:31> »
Wise Warrior and Dragonslayer are oddly similar.  o.O  Almost exactly the same.  It's got the same "maybe?" Dragonslayer has for me.

I could add Wolf to the list of considerations too.  Though yeah, bonus to Tracking wouldn't make any sense at all and I'd have to change that to something else.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

8-bit

« Reply #3 on: <12-03-14/2207:15> »
I feel like it would be best to just create a new Mentor Spirit then. Take all the appropriate qualities you like from the other Mentor Spirits (Leadership or Intimidate; whatever power makes the most sense) with an appropriate drawback. Perhaps something like, "If the follower fails to remain disciplined and follow through to their course of action, they receive a -1 dice pool penalty to all tests until they atone or continue their course." Or, perhaps something like "A follower of Gevurah is disciplined and quick to judge, but hard to make them change their mind. If the follower must change from a plan or course of action they have set upon, they must succeed at a Charisma + Willpower [3] test. Failure to do so means the follower must continue on their course and attempt to persuade their companions to follow them. If their companions refuse, the follower must continue on his own, as he is dedicated to his plan."

Something like that, maybe?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <12-03-14/2213:42> »
That'd work, but I'm unsure what the Magician bonus for the mentor should be.  A bonus to summoning a spirit type might not make a lot of sense because I don't really know what the Qabbalist spirits are like in terms of "when it says Fire Spirit, how big on the Fire part is it?"  Though that may be easier than trying to pick a category of spells to receive the bonus instead.

Also, I am trying to avoid making a new one a bit since I made her using Chummer and don't know how to add things to it on my own. >.>
« Last Edit: <12-03-14/2217:23> by firebug »

8-bit

« Reply #5 on: <12-03-14/2255:21> »
Ah, yeah. I don't know then. I'm leaning towards Dragonslayer, to be honest. Even if the disadvantage isn't perfectly aligned, it seems to be a pretty good fit mechanically.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <12-03-14/2306:10> »
Mmkay.  I'll do that for now at least.  Thanks!