NEWS

Magic and Resonance Issue

• 11 Replies

1sithlord

« on: <12-18-13/1816:48> »
Hello

So I had someone else point something strange out to me.  It is possible to have both magic and resonance on the same character?

I am having issues finding where it says that I can't actually do it...an example would be as follows.

I chose Magic/Resonance with A Priority and follow the Technomancer option.
I chose Metatype Human with C option...giving me Special Attribute points to spend.
I take these Special Attribute points and place them in Magic since I can't place them in Magic since it would be maxed and chose not to place them in Edge.
I would then spend Karma to purchase a few spells and such later.

My real issue is can you actually do it according to the rules and if not where is it located that says you can't?

Thanks for any help.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-18-13/1939:31> »
Page 52 states that unless you're a Mage or Adept, you do not have a Magic Attribute, and that non-technomancers do not have Resonance.

1sithlord

« Reply #2 on: <12-18-13/1951:05> »
Hello

That actually still does not solve my issue.  Because in the example from my previous post I would have stats in both magic and resonance.

This means I could both cast spells and use Technomancer Living Persona.

I can't find something that says I can't raise one of those attributes from 0 to start with.

Trollbait

• Newb
  • Soycaf. Now!
« Reply #3 on: <12-18-13/2014:27> »
Because you chose Technomancer from priority, you don't have a Magic attribute to spend the points on, they have to be spent on Edge. Your Magic is N/A not zero.
Stay calm and aim carefully

Capnris

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <12-18-13/2202:43> »
From my reading of it, you do not have a Magic or Resonance attribute of any value until you choose one from the Priority Table, just like you don't have a metatype until you choose one of those. Therefore, if you don't choose one, you don't have an attribute to increase; also, there are no attributes at 0. All Physical and Mental ones start at 1 or better depending on metatype, so it would follow that Special attributes would follow suit.

Magic and Technomancy are mutually exclusive; you can't have both. Pick a flavor of wizard and run with it.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <12-18-13/2209:33> »
There's a slight change compared to 4th edition: in 5th edition, if you're Awakened your Magic can drop to 0 without you burning out, as long as your maximum Magic is 1+. In 4th edition, both Technomancers and Awakened burned out irrevocably if their special attribute hit 0, so "Magic 0" meant "no raising allowed ever". It's possible this is why the language is a bit too vague in 5th (they say that if you don't have Magic, it's 0).

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <12-19-13/0041:25> »
Hello

That actually still does not solve my issue.  Because in the example from my previous post I would have stats in both magic and resonance.

This means I could both cast spells and use Technomancer Living Persona.

I can't find something that says I can't raise one of those attributes from 0 to start with.

Incorrect.  In your example, you illegally bought Magic.  You did not have Magic 0, rather, you did not have Magic period and could not allocate Special Attribute Points towards it.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

1sithlord

« Reply #7 on: <12-19-13/1222:20> »
Hello

Thanks to everyone for their replies.  You have given me much to think on.

On the note that you don't have a 0 Attribute unless you purchase a magic or resonance I point you at pg. 65.  It states that Everyone has a Magic and Resonace starting at 0.  Very last paragraph on the page.

I think ZeConster may have the right goal in mind.  Also found on pg. 250 under Resonance mention that Technomaner is a Quality.  This leads me to believe that you can only have the quality of Technomancer or Spellslinger (of all types) if you chose from the Priority listings.  Also both Resonance and Magic sections in the book say you have no access if Magic/Resonance is at 0.

Again thanks to everyone for there input you have given me different ways to look at this issue I am having.

PittsburghRPGA

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
  • Catalyst Demo Team Field Agent #524
« Reply #8 on: <12-19-13/1356:13> »
I point you to page 68, Step Three. Choose Magic or Resonance. 

There is no option to choose Magic and Resonance.

Further in the paragraph that follows under Step 3, it states again that you choose Magic or Resonance.  Or priority E on that column for neither.  Therefore, there are three choices.  Magic OR Resonance OR neither.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <12-19-13/1404:46> »
While that is true, the 5e rules do seem to lack the explicit disclaimer that 4e had, especially since page 52 says "if you don't have it, it's 0", which to people new to Shadowrun could seem to imply the possibility of being able to raise it anyway.

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <12-19-13/2009:03> »
4th edition was explicit in all of the Awakened/Technomancer qualities in the descriptions that if you picked Magic, you could not pick Resonance. 5E just didn't spend as many letters on saying "you get this quality and can't pick one of the others". Otherwise PittsburghRPGA has already pointed out what I would have.

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« Reply #11 on: <12-19-13/2251:47> »
Others have pointed out the spots in the book where it states the more rules oriented things, so I'll get more historical.  In Shadowrun, back in around 2nd to 3rd edition (I'm not sure the exact point) the first version of what would later evolve into the technomancers of today, the Otaku, or cybershamans as many where called (since that seemed to be the dominant type) appeared. One thing that was explicitly said was that the ability to walk to astral planes of magic, and the ability to walk in the world of the electron, where mutually exclusive. If you had one, you could never, under any circumstance, have the other. It was hinted (though not outright said that I remember) in both game and story books that both types of powers use many of the same parts of the brain, and were hardwired to run only as such.