NEWS

Smartlink through the ages

• 38 Replies

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <09-27-19/1353:56> »
Not in the Action descriptions, in the Matrix section nearish the running silent rules.  Don't have a page reference on me. 

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #31 on: <09-27-19/1408:28> »
6e Wireless vulnerability to hacking is unarguably less than 5e.  Matrix Perception Action is a one minute base time in 6e unless you have Resonance or a Cyberdeck.  So unless they've got someone with a 30K Nuyen cyberdeck watching the door, you can walk right on in with your Smartlink on in 6E.  That was not a given in 5e.

And if you use the RAI for PAN protection, your team's Decker has a much easier time taking care of the team's Matrix crap in 6e.

Personally I think being able to ignore/hand off all the Matrix vulnerabilities to the decker is worth the 1 dice.   YMMV though.

Hobbes if your looking to brick stuff and have the common sense of a beagle, you're going to have ether resonance or a deck. So I don't see the point of that argument. 5e had protections too, so nothing has really changed there as I have read it, sure you have to build to do, but if you do then you can do it. As to RIA, as it stands RAI is currently less meaningful in 6e then it was 5e, as the pretty much whole sections of the CRB is basically just a RAI argument at the moment. When all the typos and contradictions are settled out then RAW might have some meaning.

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <09-27-19/1422:38> »
Not looking to brick stuff, just looking.  5E samurai Logic plus Sleaze is what 3 Dice or so probably?  Any Mall Cop just taking three seconds to check out the array of Icons on the scary looking cyber dude walking their way is going to have a decent chance to spot the silent running Icons.  6E, less so. 

Drawing attention bad.  6E, much less likely to draw that initial scrutiny.

And if the actual writer of the Maxtrix rules  clearly and repeatedly stating what the intention was isn't good enough for you, nothing I have to say will change your mind.  Which is fine.  I understand wanting the RAW to be clear.

CigarSmoker

• Chummer
« Reply #33 on: <09-27-19/1432:02> »
It gets interesting when the Player Groups Hacker has a Sleaze+Willpower Dicepool of 14 (Cyberjack VI and Willpower 6).
The Professional Rating 6 Example Technomancer "Mook" has an Opposed Dicepool against that of Intuition 5 + Electronics 6

14 vs 11 so a fair chance to succeed staying hidden. And if the Hacker wants to squeeze everything out of the Rules he can get well over 20 Dice .

And after beeing spotted there is the "Hide" Matrix Action as well.

But Marcus has still a valid point. Depending on the GM the Smartlink will be a liability. You have to carry a second smaller Weapon at least if your main Weapon gets bricked and so on...

But if the Opposition has reasonable Dicepools the Smartlink can work fine imo.

« Last Edit: <09-27-19/1434:24> by CigarSmoker »

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <09-27-19/1506:36> »
And if the actual writer of the Maxtrix rules  clearly and repeatedly stating what the intention was isn't good enough for you, nothing I have to say will change your mind.

It may not be so simple, Hobbes.

That very same author has hinted (and perhaps I am reading too much into some posts) that some one(s) above his pay grade do not want all of the authors RAI to make it to RAW.

At this point, RAI might not mean much compared to RAW.

EDITed to add:
Not in the Action descriptions, in the Matrix section nearish the running silent rules.  Don't have a page reference on me.

If you are referring to Matrix Perception, and Running Silent on page 178 then here is the relevant text:

Quote from: Sixth World Core Book, page 178, "Matrix Perception," paragraph 2
The other way to use Matrix Perception would be to analyze one particular icon or search for a hidden icon. This is also an Electronics + Intuition test and is opposed by the Willpower + Sleaze of the target.

(Note, not extended)

Quote from: Sixth World Core Book, page 178, "Running Silent," bottom of paragraph
Making a Matrix Perception test to find someone running silent is a typically a Major Action, but if performed by a runner with a cyberdeck, cyberjack, or a Resonance attribute, it is a Minor Action.
« Last Edit: <09-27-19/1514:21> by Iron Serpent Prince »

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <09-27-19/2058:30> »
Not looking to brick stuff, just looking.  5E samurai Logic plus Sleaze is what 3 Dice or so probably?  Any Mall Cop just taking three seconds to check out the array of Icons on the scary looking cyber dude walking their way is going to have a decent chance to spot the silent running Icons.  6E, less so. 

Drawing attention bad.  6E, much less likely to draw that initial scrutiny.

And if the actual writer of the Maxtrix rules  clearly and repeatedly stating what the intention was isn't good enough for you, nothing I have to say will change your mind.  Which is fine.  I understand wanting the RAW to be clear.

The mall guard waking past you probably won’t but the dude at their hub does. Guard calls in hey bob can you check out the scary dude I’m sending you a pic of now.

Takes 2-3 combat turns and I assume happens routinely any time the guard is looking at you enough for him to check in 5e.

Not sure how it will work out overall. But I’m not seeing a significant increase in utility of wireless in 6e.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #36 on: <09-27-19/2114:00> »
You're seriously telling me we are now worried about mall cops detecting runners?
How far the mighty have fallen. smh.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <09-27-19/2136:45> »
I assumed it was a ritzy mall in a aaa neighborhood.  Maybe part of a Corp facility otherwise there really isn’t security for runners to worry about.

Noble Drake

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <09-27-19/2147:09> »
Isn't that the typical course of Shadowrun discussion, though? The rules put in some particular idea like gear being spotted by one kind of fancy tech or another and don't explicitly lay out the when, where, and how that fancy tech gets used, so the assumption mill starts running and before you know it every location that isn't crime friendly or explicitly decrepit has MAD scanners and on-sight security teams with all the latest tech and with dice pools to use it that push characters to max out their "you don't know I'm a criminal" dice pools just to feel like maybe they might occasionally actually get away with the kind of crime that is happening constantly according to the setting description.

And yeah, it's really difficult to see the increase in utility of wireless in 6e when you are actively discounting and/or undoing the changes made to the rules that affect things. It's also a little blurry of a subject, for me at least, because the ability to screw with someone's wireless gear seems a lot more straight-forward now than it was - but the ability to foil that and/or recover it also being straight-forward and relatively low cost wins out, I believe.

Still waiting to see how my players feel on the matter, since they have historically skipped out on all wireless bonuses because the risk didn't feel worth it and we've only got a few sessions under our belts so far with SR6 because schedules have gone janky lately.