NEWS

State of the Art: 2073 PDF-only product now available!

• 17 Replies

JM_Hardy

• Administrator
  • Omae
« on: <12-20-11/1658:08> »
Just in time for your last-minute holiday shopping, we've released a new PDF-only product, State of the Art: 2073 (Battleshop, DrivethruRPG). Here's the rundown:

THE EDGE OF NOW

Some people think that being state-of-the-art means being on the bleeding-edge of technology. That’s part of it, but only a small part. If you really want to be current, if you want to know what’s going on in the world and how it might affect you, you need to know about a lot more than new tech. You need to know about current events—like the speech Hestaby gave to the United Nations that put the dragons of the Sixth World into an uproar. You need to know what you’ll see on the roads, from new vehicles to re-purposed classics. You need to know about the latest research on Awakened plants and the exceedingly creative uses scientists are putting them to.

Take those elements and stir in up-to-date information on important people and places—like cagey intelligence ace Samantha Roth and the tumultuous nation of Thailand—and you have a dossier that can help runners stay current and make sure they know what’s happening now in the Sixth World. Because the runner caught up in yesterday is a runner that’s been left behind.

State of the Art: 2073 is for use with Shadowrun,Twentieth Anniversary Edition.
Jason M. Hardy
Shadowrun Line Developer

"The thing is, I’m serious about what I do, and the people with whom I associate are serious about what they do. We’re all serious people. Look, I can even make a serious face. See?" --Quinn Bailey

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1 on: <12-20-11/1706:52> »
Xmas present for me? YAY!
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <12-20-11/1746:36> »
Heh, the preview actually makes me more exited about the fact that Eurowar Antiques is still incoming, thought it might have been crapped, as there's been no mention since the intro page of Unfriendly Skies 8)
"An it harm none, do what you will"

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #3 on: <12-20-11/1928:41> »
*Looks at empty budget and cries manly tears*   :'(
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #4 on: <12-20-11/2207:48> »
For those interested, here's a run down on what's in the book:

1)  Hestaby's Speech to the UN, Atzlan's official response, and Jackpoint discussing it.

2)  Ares Arms Catalog December 2073 Supplement

• Vodianoi Assault Hovercraft
  • Nizhinyi BMV-2 Vectored Thrust Armored Personnel Carrier
  • Ruhrmetall Falkner Heavy Air Defense Vehicle
  • Ruhrmetall KM 4 Keiller A5 Assault Tank
  • Ares PLD Light Machine Gun

3)  Character Corner featuring Col. Samantha Roth

4)  Aetherpedia -- Thailand

5) 2073 Street Legal (Vehicle Write-Ups)

• Nassan Coda (Food Truck)
  • Dodge Ram Industrial (Construction/Service Vehicle with varients for Garbage truck, Ladder & Bucket Ultity Service, Sewage Pumper, or Water Tanker)
  • Evo DSV-Mariana (Mini-Sub)
  • Galactic Knight (Orbital/Suborbital Plane)
  • Krupp-Icarus (High Altitude Plane)
  • Nissan EZ Eco (Forklift)
  • Espirit Le Four (Tugboat)
  • Krupp-Thyssen Airdox (Mining Vehicle)
  • Mercury Oort (Station Wagon!)
  • Leyland-Rovert Transport (Taxi)

6) 2073 Awakened Flora -- Chicago Flora

• Caldwell Lily
  • Chicago grey
  • Ghoul Caps
  • Glammergold
  • Helhounds Tongue
  • Magnus Kudzu
  • Prairie Smite

A nice mix of stuff.  I've been really excited by the "Street Legal" stuff since I saw an early draft of the material about a year ago.  I've been wanting to see stuff like dump trucks and the like for a while, so these "every day" vehicles are a nice touch.

Bull

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #5 on: <12-20-11/2312:34> »
Why do I want to make like Saints Row 2 with the sewage truck?

*Looks over at Saints Row The Third case*  Oh, right.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <12-21-11/0403:00> »
I agree with Bull that the 'Street Legal' section is the one I liked the most (though the writeup on Roth was a fun read). While they might not be as flashy as a Nightsky or as rugged as a Bulldog, these kinds of everyday vehicles provide good options, and can be customized into something runners can use. And, as expected, most of these are available to starting characters, and the only one with an R next to the availability is the food truck (blame the health department). The taxi, sedan, and dump truck are the ones I can see really being of use to a runner team. All are basically urban camouflage. And all of them are relatively inexpensive.

The dumptruck makes for an ideal rigger launch platform. In addition to having a lot of room for drone racks and weapon mounts, you can give it some of the most effective protection any vehicle working in an urban area can have. Hazmat markings.

The sedan is the ideal for residential neighborhoods, suburbs, and going on 'vacation' across a border at a checkpoint instead of trying to run it and risk, say, the Tir border patrol catching you smuggling, or, if they don't like you, spying.

The taxi is pretty much the ultimate in urban camouflage. There are thousands of them going every which way, all the time. Any time of day or night, a taxi is not out of place. And being troll-sized means you can roll up in full armor if you want, especially with the enhanced image screens mod.

My Characters

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #7 on: <12-21-11/0825:22> »
Payday is Friday and DriveThruRPG is down. That's the only reasons this is not in my zip drive RIGHT NOW.

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <12-21-11/0831:57> »
I liked Hestaby's speech - although some parts made me wince a bit* - and the Street Legal stuff was very cool indeed.  I am just trying to work out how to include Sam in my home campaign ;-)

*: I've stood in elections and written and delivered political speeches, and some bits seemed a bit off.  Repeated words where it didn't quite scan right and so on; writing speeches is different to writing prose.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #9 on: <12-21-11/1235:18> »
I've stood in elections and written and delivered political speeches, and some bits seemed a bit off.  Repeated words where it didn't quite scan right and so on; writing speeches is different to writing prose.
Maybe she doesn't have a script writer?  I mean, this is what, her first given political speech?

She's usually up on that mountain surrounded by Technomancers and Shamans and stuff...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <12-21-11/1248:12> »
Just goes to show that you can be one of the most powerful creatures on the planet, but that doesn't make you perfect.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #11 on: <12-21-11/1254:53> »
Just goes to show that you can be one of the most powerful creatures on the planet, but that doesn't make you perfect.
Noone's perfect.

Even if Harley will disagree with you on that topic.  With a sword.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <12-21-11/1310:26> »
Maybe she doesn't have a script writer?  I mean, this is what, her first given political speech?

Aside from the draconic talky business in Survival of the Fittest, and the fact that she's a Prince of Tir Tairngire and must occasionally therefore do a spot of public speaking ;)

Plus her Influence skill group of 6 (President/CEO level) and Charisma of 20...

She's usually up on that mountain surrounded by Technomancers and Shamans and stuff...

Yeah, I guess she might've thought that putting on shoes would be enough to emphasise how serious she was  ;D
« Last Edit: <12-21-11/1311:57> by raggedhalo »
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <12-21-11/1317:37> »
She might have thought (rightly so) that not eating the Azzies when they walked out on her was proof enough.

Even if Harley will disagree with you on that topic.  With a sword.  :P

Heh. We really need more products with Harley in them. He's a fun character.

My Characters

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <12-21-11/1337:34> »
I liked Hestaby's speech - although some parts made me wince a bit* - and the Street Legal stuff was very cool indeed.  I am just trying to work out how to include Sam in my home campaign ;-)

*: I've stood in elections and written and delivered political speeches, and some bits seemed a bit off.  Repeated words where it didn't quite scan right and so on; writing speeches is different to writing prose.

Oh Rule of Three, how you haunt me.