NEWS

Internal commlinks

• 10 Replies

Nightmare

• Chummer
  • Freelance merc, runner, and assassin
« on: <02-26-14/1015:12> »
I'm looking at upgrading from a normal commlink to an implanted comm but I'm wondering if I need to also go and add subvocal mics as well?  I mean, can I talk through the headware comm without actually talking out in public or does that need to be taken into account?

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #1 on: <02-26-14/1016:55> »
An internal commlink gives you a DNI. Since all commlinks come with basic text-to-speech/speech-to-text functions, I don't think the subvocal mic is necessary.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-26-14/1209:42> »
internal commlinks also come with sim-module per default, so you can send and receive more senses than just audio and video (this is what the book call "super AR"; you don't need VR gloves etc)

You can also use full VR without any additional equipment.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #3 on: <02-26-14/2028:36> »
An internal commlink gives you a DNI. Since all commlinks come with basic text-to-speech/speech-to-text functions, I don't think the subvocal mic is necessary.
BTW:  This is one of the reasons that illiteracy is probably going to be getting worse in Shadowrun.   :'(
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #4 on: <02-27-14/0017:08> »
I seem to remember some 4th edition fluff that talks about how the written word is disappearing in favor of universal iconography and speech.  Kind of sad, but also it's completely believable.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-27-14/0038:31> »
internal commlinks also come with sim-module per default, so you can send and receive more senses than just audio and video (this is what the book call "super AR"; you don't need VR gloves etc)

You can also use full VR without any additional equipment.
Receive, yes. I thought sending required you to be able to record your senses - ie; a simrig. No?

Insaniac99

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <02-27-14/1444:16> »
I seem to remember some 4th edition fluff that talks about how the written word is disappearing in favor of universal iconography and speech.  Kind of sad, but also it's completely believable.

Actually it dates to even before that, It is mentioned in Changeling (printed in 1992)  which came out during 2nd edition.
Check out my all purpose Shadowrun Die roller and Probability generator: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=13241.0

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-27-14/1539:26> »
Receive, yes. I thought sending required you to be able to record your senses - ie; a simrig. No?

Yes and no.  The simrig allows you to record more than just what your camera (or cybereye's camera) sees.  A simrig lets you capture the race of your heart when your eyes meet with someone you love, the adrenaline of running from Knight Errant, etc.  It's more than just raw video and audio data.

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #8 on: <03-20-14/2017:57> »

Yes and no.  The simrig allows you to record more than just what your camera (or cybereye's camera) sees.  A simrig lets you capture the race of your heart when your eyes meet with someone you love, the adrenaline of running from Knight Errant, etc.  It's more than just raw video and audio data.

And that is just the tame stuff...Want an example?

Watch Strange Days with Ralph Fiennes, Juliette Lewis and Angela Basset.(1995)... The central plot device of that entire show is essentially a Simrig/simsense player
« Last Edit: <03-20-14/2021:20> by Reaver »
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <03-20-14/2053:06> »
Watch Strange Days with Ralph Fiennes, Juliette Lewis and Angela Basset.(1995)... The central plot device of that entire show is essentially a Simrig/simsense player

Right?  Holy cow that movie tripped me out when I first saw it.  I was like: hey, that's a trode net.  HEY!  That's a simrig!

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <03-21-14/0310:06> »

If you do not have cybereyes, and are not wearing some sort of camera, however, you cannot send what you see without a simrig.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites