NEWS

Tron: Legacy

• 32 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« on: <11-05-10/0017:38> »
So, I didn't get a chance to talk about it (mainly because I seem to be super busy right now...), but I got a chance to go see the 23-minute sneak preview of Tron: Legacy in IMAX 3D last Thursday. Here's what I came away with:

• The sneak preview's 23 minutes was all from the first half of the movie. And, from what I can tell, every trailer, commercial and teaser that's been released/shown is all from the first half of the movie. This means they're doing a terrific job of keeping the second half quiet.
  • The beginning of the movie is not 3D. Let me repeat that: The beginning of the movie is not 3D. Much like Wizard of Oz, when they are showing the real world, the movie is plain old 2D. Then, when he crosses over to the Grid, the 3D comes out. And boy, does it come out.
  • It was filmed the same way as Avatar. So, instead of them running around a stage and some guy's holding a green pole with a green sign saying "Look Here!", the actors were in the VR suits that projected a wireframe/graphics-light AR Display on HUD screens on helmets so they could actually interact with the environment. And, like Avatar, these helmets had mini-cameras in them to catch the actors reactions to that interaction for times when they needed to CGI their faces (e.g. Clu was played by Jeff Bridges in T:L, but they de-aged him 20 years).
  • Daft Punk did the entire score of the movie and have cameos in the Grid
  • These aren't your father's Grid games. Disc and the Bike game have been seriously and awesomely upgraded

Overall, I cannot WAIT for this to come out. I'll be home in PA for Christmas when it does, but we are making a trip to a wrap-around IMAX theater go go see this. (For those of you in MN, go to the IMAX at the zoo... they have the wrap-around as well and the screen is MUCH larger than in the AMC theatres).

Now, for you kiddies too young to remember the original Tron, this is the movie that defined the idea of cyberspace/the Matrix for a lot of people. Without Tron, I don't know if the idea of VR would have caught hold like it has. For sure the Wachowski Brothers wouldn't have made The Matrix (don't care about the sequels) and I don't know if William Gibson & Friends would have gotten far with Cyberpunk. So it's an imperative that you young 'uns go see this movie at Christmas (heck, we might even be able to topple that rip-off Avatar from the king of box-offices).

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-05-10/0506:56> »
I'm sooooo looking forward to the Release (been a Tron Fan too)
@Fastjack
So you advice watching it in 3D ?

with a TwoDimensional Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <11-05-10/0844:11> »
Well, I'm going to go see it in IMAX 3D, just so I'm completely absorbed into the movie. But, I do have to say, the 3D effects were good, but not jaw-dropping spectacular--although, I don't know of any 3D movie that is.

Overall, I never can really recommend 3D over normal 2D since it's a gimmick; plain and simple. However, I don't think any of the IMAX showings will be in 2D anyway.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #3 on: <11-05-10/1231:58> »
I was around for the first Tron and avioded it like the plague. I thought it was the dumbest looking thing I had ever seen! Fast forward several decades & I am impatiently waiting for the sequal! I still think the original is a waste of film (understand not the concept but the delivery), but then again FX were not up to what the story needed at the time.
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-08-10/0057:34> »
Tron is definitely on the to do list, saw the original in theaters and I loved it, when I heard about the new one I got the same thrill I had when I heard about the second Star Wars Trilogy, though obviously on a smaller scale.  The tech is there to do it right now, so I hope they do it justice with a good story.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #5 on: <11-08-10/0144:19> »
Yes, the movie looks like it will rock hard. I even have some of the songs Daft Punk did for the movie in my favorites on my YouTube account. If I was still a DJ, I would sooooo use some of this stuff.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #6 on: <11-10-10/2117:52> »
I remember when I was a young elf, back in the 'Nam. . .ok, maybe not that long ago. But yeah, the original was amzaing in its day. What amuses me is that the CG has come so far that the original Tron looks more "computer generated" than the new one. I'm looking forward to it while simultaneously being afraid that it can't possibly live up to expectations, kind of like when I was waiting for the prequel trilogy to a certain childhood favorite.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #7 on: <11-10-10/2255:01> »
Mmm... tasty.

The thing you have to REALLY look at is Jeff Bridges' Clu. They de-aged him using CGI. No make-up.

And here's the original young Jeff:

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #8 on: <11-11-10/0829:50> »
Ok, all the hype aside,  I am wondering of we will see TRON himself in the movie or is this just a Kevin and Sam Flynn flick?

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #9 on: <11-11-10/0926:52> »
It *looks* like it's just a Kevin and Sam flick. Bruce is there as Alan, outside the grid.

Now, the key thing I learned from the Sneak Preview I went to, is that 95% of all the clips and trailers that are out there are from the first half of the movie. Who knows what may happen in the second half?

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #10 on: <11-12-10/0913:56> »
Looking at some of the toys at he local corporate-megastore, we will see:

A) a "new-retro" Light Cycle used/designed by the elder Flynn circa 1989, which looks like the first generation light cycle with a rocket booter in the back!!!  :o, And is still "the fastest thing on the grid"

B) A "light racer", which looks like a "modern" lightcycle and a Indy Racer had a drunken tryst at a cheap motel that produced an offspring  :-[ ;)

C) Clu's hench-minions AND a command carrier.

oh yeah... 8)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #11 on: <11-12-10/0928:49> »
I said it before, I'll say it again. From what I saw of the sneak preview, the trailers aren't showing half of the cool stuff in this movie.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #12 on: <11-12-10/0930:22> »
True 'dat.   8)

Teknodragon

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <12-18-10/1113:34> »
Watched the original, then saw the new Tron after.  Wow.  Lot of stuff that can be applied to SR, Matrix-wise. Shoot, it's how I want the Matrix to feel, y'know?

The 3D was easy on me this time, too.  I've seen other movies where I swear I was suffering dumpshock when I walked out.
Life is short, the night is long, and we still have ammo.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <12-19-10/1000:06> »
Dumpshock:  Nature's way of reminding you to TURN THAT F!^#ING THING OFF AND PAY ATTENTION TO HER!!
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."