NEWS

Casting Touch Combat Spells

• 1 Replies

Mordoyh

• Newb
« on: <10-26-10/1921:03> »
Had a question on the process for casting a combat touch spell.  The description simply says that it is cast as part of an unarmed combat attack where only a touch is required, i.e. a single net success, receiving +2 dice since it only requires a touch.  My question is how this is done in conjunction with casting the spell?

Are they two separate actions and take place on separate action passes?  Are they combined, and if so do you roll for both the spell and the unarmed attack, and what modifiers are they (positive and/or negative)?  Just having a little difficulty wrapping my head around the process.

Thanks

PS... This question is unrelated to the thread regarding indirect touch spells.  I'm asking about spells like Death Touch, I haven't even contemplated spells like "Fiery Touch.". If I am having problems with the direct damage ones, you can imagine how I am feeling looking at an indirect damage spell.
« Last Edit: <10-26-10/1933:24> by Mordoyh »

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <10-26-10/1933:38> »
The touch happens during "Step 3: Choose the Target(s)" in the spellcasting procedure (SR4A, p. 183). The touch attack does not take an extra action, and you don't need any net hits. A tie (graze) is sufficient to touch your target and establish the magical link. Then you continue with the spellcasting procedure as normal.

Note that you can also use touch for LOS spells, for example if you're in the dark. At the GM's discretion, you can also use other senses to establish a magical targeting link. In that case, you would roll an appropriate Perception test instead of a touch attack. Regardless of how you target, it's part of the one complex action.