Catalyst Game Labs > Errata

AI Quality "Errata"

<< < (2/3) > >>

Luciferos:

--- Quote from: adzling on ---A.I.s need a complete rewrite.

They were not functional at the time of publishing and as you have noted have only gotten worse since.

--- End quote ---

I mean you can make a working AI decker, they're just not as good as a metahuman decker or techno, which sucks and is counter-intuitive. They're buildable in karmagen even with the silly 180 point tax, but AI hackers just stay lagging on meat hackers. They have some neat unique features, though.

Ironically, the best AI use is for the rigging/sam role.

Either way, they're definitely nerfed, but the main issue is that they just don't have access to Qualities to build the character they want, because this was never kept up on after Data Trails. I can definitely see, like, a modest bump to a couple of Priorities (ATTS PLZ) or reduction in Karmagen metatype cost, but I think the idea that they're "not functional" is a bit extreme based on playing with a variety of AI characters.

Ajax:
It doesn’t help that they’re barred from Shadowrun Missions. I know that’s only a small minority of players, but it’s a very active and very loyal minority of players, who are in a unique position to be able to provide (pseudo)empirical feedback.

Marcus:
Like a list several other character types, AIs would be too disruptive in the missions play format. Most GMs are not going to be up enough on decking to be able to really handle an AI PC. Odds are they end up sitting on their hands most or all of the run. Something can happen with TM PCs. Decking just isn't universally applicable within most missions

Ajax:

--- Quote from: Marcus on ---Like a list several other character types, AIs would be too disruptive in the missions play format.
--- End quote ---

I think this has more to do with their lousy mechanical design, rather than AI's being an inherently disruptive concept. But, I can accept this as a point... Unlike when you said:

--- Quote from: Marcus on ---Decking just isn't universally applicable within most missions.
--- End quote ---

That's just piss-poor module writing and/or piss-poor GMing that is. Given that decking and the Matrix is a core component of the Shadowrun game and has been since it's debut, it strikes me as just plain silly to leave it out.

In the current SR5 Core Rulebook, "The Matrix" chapter alone takes up a bit more than 10% of the page count and the Matrix and/or Matrix-related stuff crops up in every other section of the rulebook. Having a worldwide Shadowrun shared campaign without the Matrix a being universal part of the mission design would be like trying to run a worldwide Dungeons & Dragons shared campaign without Wizards.

Marcus:
I'm reporting facts not debating them, or assigning a value judgement. I have personally made suggestions on how to increase matrix use and relevance in missions modules, when the question was asked. But the reality is what it is. I haven't played the NT modes, so I can't speak to them, but what I said is largely true for Chicago, New York, and Denver.  I still very much enjoyed playing and running them however.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version