NEWS

Street Legends Supplemental now out--ten more characters to play with!

• 226 Replies

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« Reply #45 on: <01-04-12/1413:19> »
Holy crap! Hes seen it all!
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #46 on: <01-04-12/1415:45> »
Yes, yes he has.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #47 on: <01-04-12/1416:33> »
Ahh, you young 'uns...

Y'all forget Slamm-0!'s FIRST write up in Target: Matrix, set in 2061 when the lad was a wee decker of only 19 years.

2061-19 = 2042
2073-2042 = 31

Edit And FastJack was born in 1999.

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #48 on: <01-04-12/1421:21> »
hahaha that would mean in shadowrun I'm older than both of em! Never even thought of that! 8)ar glasses here I come
HACK THE PLANET
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #49 on: <01-04-12/1450:30> »
I agree. And I'd always thought of Slamm-O! as being a bit younger. Mid to late 20s or so.
He was just about twenty when he was first introduced, but the timeline's moved ahead over 10 years since then.  Some of us (and I know I certainly do it, myself) still post with him like he's a lot younger, or at least a lot less mature...but while it might have retarded his age in our mind's-eye a little, it's at least led to somewhat strong characterization, too.  He's just never really grown up.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #50 on: <01-04-12/1452:28> »
Oh no, Fastjack was born in the 1990s, that much is (and has been) shadowrun canon since first edition, I think. Fastjack lived through the Great Ghost Dance, both Crashes, the creation of the UCAS and CAS, and all the other drek that has hit the Sixth World, which gives him an interesting perspective on things.
He's 73.

For an example of what he lived through:  Read this.

As for Slamm-0!, he's like me.  He never really did learn when to shut his trap...  ...  Actually, we're about the same age...  Damn.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #51 on: <01-04-12/1501:00> »
Ahh, you young 'uns...

Y'all forget Slamm-0!'s FIRST write up in Target: Matrix, set in 2061 when the lad was a wee decker of only 19 years.

2061-19 = 2042
2073-2042 = 31

Edit And FastJack was born in 1999.

12 years later and father to a newborn? Yeah he is going to pudge out some.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #52 on: <01-04-12/1631:54> »
In the story, Slamm-0! is fitter.  that, or Netcat has a thing for doughy dudes.  Don't laugh, it happens. :)

Anyway, this was brought up on Dumpshock, and I'll paraphrase some of the replies from there...

1)  It's never stated exactly when Netcat took those pictures.  I believe the "pictures" in question may have turned up on JackPoint in '70, or maybe '71.  But they could have been taken a few years earlier.

2)  A lot's happened since then.  Many of us know from first hand experience, it doesn't take long for a body to fall apart if it's not that active.  And Slamm-0!'s gota  kid to watch now.  I imagine he takes a lot more "overwatch" jobs on the Matrix rather than physically going in with the team, and he's probably taking advantage of being a "Stay At Home Dad" to watch baseball and play video games.

3)  My personal excuse?  Netcat's maternal instincts kicked in, and she likes to bake cookies.  And muffins.  And brownies.  And Cake.  And Slamm-0! loves to eat them. :)

Slamm-0! was fit and beefy...  3+ years ago.  Now?  He's a couch-potato :)

Bull

Argent

• Chummer
  • Doh! Wrong ammo clip!
« Reply #53 on: <01-04-12/1709:55> »
Budget, book, budget, book, budget, book...

Ramen's cheap.

Thankfully the wife is a gamer.  I could justify the "expense" as a source of more ideas for our Shadowrun game.

You lucky, lucky duck.
Running the shadows since 1989.

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #54 on: <01-04-12/1718:18> »
So...sincerely.  What would've been a better way to handle it?
The same way I would have improved the stats: By not trying something which is bound to fail.

nakano

• Chummer
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #55 on: <01-04-12/1719:50> »
Yup, have never had to argue gaming books as an entertainment expense.  Though after 10 years of marriage I only found out SR was her fave rpg about 2 years ago...  I had been taking a break from the game, and was between games and asked her what she wanted to play.   LOL

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #56 on: <01-04-12/1751:11> »
2)  A lot's happened since then.  Many of us know from first hand experience, it doesn't take long for a body to fall apart if it's not that active.  And Slamm-0!'s gota  kid to watch now.  I imagine he takes a lot more "overwatch" jobs on the Matrix rather than physically going in with the team, and he's probably taking advantage of being a "Stay At Home Dad" to watch baseball and play video games.

3)  My personal excuse?  Netcat's maternal instincts kicked in, and she likes to bake cookies.  And muffins.  And brownies.  And Cake.  And Slamm-0! loves to eat them. :)

Bull
It took me to go from a slightly muscled underweight body to a Pillsbury doughboy.  I've slimmed since then, but still have a good paunch going.  Still working on it, but Mom moving to the city after Dad died...  Well, she loves to cook and bake too.  And cookies, muffins, brownies, and cake (Which is a lie) always calls out to be eaten.

And I don't think any of us can deny that Slamm-0! is a poster child for the "Man-Boy" image, so any excuse to stay at home and watch baseball with his son and play video games with his son is a good thing.  Gotta raise him up proper!

"This is a Cyberdeck.  Cy-Ber-Deck.  It's what Dinosaurs and Bull uses."  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #57 on: <01-04-12/1756:51> »
So...sincerely.  What would've been a better way to handle it?
The same way I would have improved the stats: By not trying something which is bound to fail.
Your definition of "bound to fail" seems a little weird to me, given the overall responses we've received to the Street Legend line of books so far.  If making fans happy is failure, I'll line up for thirds.

"Don't write it at all, because someone might not like it" is no way to run a game company.
« Last Edit: <01-04-12/2320:22> by Critias »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #58 on: <01-04-12/1829:16> »
I still say a "Ghetto Legends" version would be good for some NPCs that can be used in an average game rather than, "Oh drek, we pissed off WHO?" that Street Legends is.

I still bought both on PDF, but they're not books I'd get in DTF.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #59 on: <01-04-12/1832:13> »
My girlfriend never liked any rpgs until shadowrun!
HACK THE PLANET