NEWS

Cyberadepts and their implications on the nature of Resonance

• 16 Replies

Eddren

• Newb
« on: <02-16-19/2142:10> »
Thus far, there's been no way to completely recover from Cybernetic implants, and certainly not while they're still part of a person. Then comes along Kill Code and these new-fangled Cyberadepts, and suddenly with a single immersion you can get a full essence point back. Now, I don't care much about the balance, but the implications of what this means about Resonance.
Now, we know that Resonance is tied to Essence, like Magic is. But now we know that Resonance can restore Essence, in a way that Magic can't.
My question is, why do you guys think that is? I'd also like to point out that the Null seem to be of the belief that Resonance is meatspace-based, which implies that it's not actually a byproduct of technology, but a byproduct of living things. My theory is that Resonance is actually the aura produced when a living thing reforms nature to its own devices, and it's for that reason that it's only recently starting to show up--Not because more of the world is being reformed, but because that which was already once refined to meet the standards of humans underwent another layer of refinement and reformation(The Crash causing the Matrix to go wireless) and as a byproduct, almost doubled the presence of Resonance, until it met the minimum threshold for touching humanity, much the same as the Earth only recently had enough life on it to Awaken again.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #1 on: <02-16-19/2152:16> »
Submerging as a Cyberadept only restores Resonance. It has nothing to do with restoring Essence.
The first two submersions allows you to ignore 1 essence lost due to cyberware implantation when calculating resonance lose.
The third and fourth allows you to ignore one point more etc.

You are still burning your soul, which can only be restored through gene therapy over the course of month(s)
« Last Edit: <02-16-19/2156:14> by PiXeL01 »
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Eddren

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-16-19/2203:18> »
Aaah, you know, somehow I'd missed that minor point. It is, however, still interesting that Resonance can become independent of Essence. Does that mean that a being that never had Essence, should it ever gain an inkling of Resonance, could become a Technomancer?

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-16-19/2206:51> »
Theoretically yes, but only if all the Essence lost is due to cybernetic implants.
The only problem is without Essence you are dead.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <02-17-19/0326:45> »
Theoretically yes, but only if all the Essence lost is due to cybernetic implants.
ZOMBIEMANCER, ZOMBIEMANCER, ZOMBIEMANCER, ZOMBIEMANCER!!!

Now THAT would be a neat way for a Cyberzombie to break out of the restraints placed on it, TM-hack them and sing "I've got no strings on me..." Good luck returning that piece of stolen equipment!
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Eddren

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <02-17-19/0353:13> »
ZOMBIEMANCER, ZOMBIEMANCER, ZOMBIEMANCER, ZOMBIEMANCER!!!

Now THAT would be a neat way for a Cyberzombie to break out of the restraints placed on it, TM-hack them and sing "I've got no strings on me..." Good luck returning that piece of stolen equipment!

Now this, this would be a fun thing to see as a campaign hook.

fseperent

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <02-17-19/0416:27> »
The only corp that I can think of that could /  would do that are the Azzies.
It's not hard to imagine a dozen or so restraints on a normal cyberzombie.
Probably double that on a cyberadept going through the cybermantic process.

Have they managed to fix the mental degradation of cybermancy?
If not, oh god.
The possibility of the technomancer going dissonant.

Without a doubt, the Blood Panthers would be involved with any retrieval operations.

Undoubtedly a veterans only adventure with a HUGE payday.

Eddren

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <02-17-19/0432:23> »
The only corp that I can think of that could /  would do that are the Azzies.
It's not hard to imagine a dozen or so restraints on a normal cyberzombie.
Probably double that on a cyberadept going through the cybermantic process.

Have they managed to fix the mental degradation of cybermancy?
If not, oh god.
The possibility of the technomancer going dissonant.

Without a doubt, the Blood Panthers would be involved with any retrieval operations.

Undoubtedly a veterans only adventure with a HUGE payday.

--And odds of HUGE attention, too. From all the wrong places. A Dissonant Cyberzombie with full Resonance and an utter lack of human empathy? It probably won't directly fight the Shadowrunners, no no--Shadowrunners are dangerous! But that group of citizens there is only a hacked security system away from being the red mist it could disappear into...

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-17-19/0436:33> »
Maybe this is why PAX was looking into the project in Boston...

Eddren

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <02-17-19/0448:44> »
Maybe this is why PAX was looking into the project in Boston...
I'm not super familiar with everything going on with the Boston Lockdown, but PAX was behind that, right? Wouldn't the CFD be more her domain? On a slightly unrelated note, can a CFD victim still be a technomancer?

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <02-17-19/0637:06> »
Being Infected with CFD wouldnt have any negative effect on your magic or resonance abilities.

Ruleswise cyberzombies lost all resonance abilities, and most og their magical abilities as well. ( Even though CZ have a negative essence score they still have\gain a magic score of 1).

Of course if the story calls for a dissonance CZ, There might be a prototype out there just waiting to meet the players. :)
« Last Edit: <02-17-19/0722:31> by DigitalZombie »

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <02-17-19/0639:42> »
Iirc the Boston cfd strain had Technomancer like abilities.
PAX used to be an otaku working for Deus the AI. Why she revived it only the authors can tell.
However PAX has always been obsessed about fading. She would be powerless should she lose her access to the matrix so she would do anything to stop that from happening, so a combination of cybermancy and cyberadeptism might be a possible end for her

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #12 on: <02-17-19/1316:47> »
Iirc the Boston cfd strain had Technomancer like abilities.
PAX used to be an otaku working for Deus the AI. Why she revived it only the authors can tell.
Oh that one was actually made quite clear in the source material: She wanted Deus trapped in a physical body, so she could kill Deus as revenge. All she did was set out bait to lure Deus in, and the means to eliminate the result.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <02-17-19/1839:02> »
That’s her obvious motive. However, she being a reoccurring baddie, there’s always more than meets the eye so I wouldn’t be surprised if she’d be testing this at some point

It’s only 308 karma to reach submersion rank 11 which’s all you need to ignore 6 Essence worth of cyberware.
« Last Edit: <02-17-19/1842:08> by PiXeL01 »

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #14 on: <03-07-19/1259:05> »
So really when look at it long and hard, cyber adept is the pinnacle cybetlimb build. Internal implants are a trap for CA. But a beefy arm or a pair of legs let's you go to another level. 

They have some direct limits but so long as your prepared to address those, it's a build with extreme tech potential.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking