NEWS

SR6 Cyberlimbs capped at 6 str and 6 Agi RAW?

• 28 Replies

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #15 on: <07-16-20/1557:51> »
Bureaucracy.
To remove one word?! Aren’t there, like, ten people working at Catalyst? How much red tape can there be?!

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #16 on: <07-16-20/1927:48> »
Bureaucracy.
To remove one word?! Aren’t there, like, ten people working at Catalyst? How much red tape can there be?!

Less about red tape and more about care/competence I think. It's too bad they don't have the gusto of their volunteers man. SSDR for president!
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <07-17-20/2137:12> »
I don't know why cyberlimb stats just don't start at that persons base stats and then you can enhance them by up to +4, or if you must because you don't think it makes sense have 2, one is custom limbs that cost what cyberlimbs cost now , and then also have basic replacement limbs that start at straight 2s that can't take mods and cost about as much as a pack of cigarettes. They made it more complex than needed for a worse game mechanic.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <07-18-20/0831:32> »
I don't know why cyberlimb stats just don't start at that persons base stats and then you can enhance them by up to +4, or if you must because you don't think it makes sense have 2, one is custom limbs that cost what cyberlimbs cost now , and then also have basic replacement limbs that start at straight 2s that can't take mods and cost about as much as a pack of cigarettes. They made it more complex than needed for a worse game mechanic.

Cyberlimbs should have a cosmetic option that is low to no cost that simply use the characters stats.  Then there should be the "Combat Limb" options where things get expensive and have several pages of useful mechanical options.

6th edition limbs are a mechanical trap, which is unfortunate.   

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #19 on: <07-18-20/0900:21> »

Cyberlimbs should have a cosmetic option that is low to no cost that simply use the characters stats.  Then there should be the "Combat Limb" options where things get expensive and have several pages of useful mechanical options.

6th edition limbs are a mechanical trap, which is unfortunate.   

I agree for the most part, but there are some corner cases that are solid. Say a ranged combat character who only cares about agility and the bonus health boxes.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

penllawen

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <07-18-20/0954:16> »
Soooo, just like 5e then?

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <07-18-20/1527:58> »

Seems similar, except 5e had a solid full borg option since you could then ignore your normal stats.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <07-18-20/1536:40> »

Seems similar, except 5e had a solid full borg option since you could then ignore your normal stats.

Can't QUITE ignore the physical stats with a full cyborg body, because hilariously cyberlimb stats don't contribute to Physical Limit.  At least you don't have that problem in 6e!
« Last Edit: <07-18-20/1603:50> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <07-18-20/2011:05> »

5e didn't have a cheap cosmetic option.  It had an expensive cosmetic option, and an even more expensive mechanically good options.

When I say cheap, I mean, .1 Essence, 1,000 Nuyen, 2 capacity  kind of range.  Pretty much an aesthetic choice. 

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <07-19-20/1008:17> »

5e didn't have a cheap cosmetic option.  It had an expensive cosmetic option, and an even more expensive mechanically good options.

When I say cheap, I mean, .1 Essence, 1,000 Nuyen, 2 capacity  kind of range.  Pretty much an aesthetic choice.

Basically, something that would allow for, "Hey, that guy has a basic arm replacement. My character can deduce that he lost it in something bad, but made a conscious choice to simply replace it like a normal citizen or lacked the resources to go for a heftier model that had all the bells and whistles to do real damage." Kind of what you're getting at?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <07-19-20/1136:01> »
They start at Strength 2 and Agility 2 but you can raise them how much you want (as long as you have the resources and capacity for it).

But no point in getting too carried away because no matter what Strength and Agility you have in your cyberlilmb you can only UTILIZE your current Strength and Agility+ 4.

SR6 p. 288 Cyberlimb Accessories - Attribute Increase
The maximum augmented increase of 4 is in place here, so don’t buy an attribute increase that would increase one of your attributes higher than 4, as it would be a waste.
« Last Edit: <07-22-20/1034:21> by Xenon »

penllawen

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <07-19-20/1405:07> »

Oh I see, yeah, I agree.

Kreistor

• Newb
« Reply #27 on: <07-24-20/2138:35> »
The language in that section is clunky and unnecessary if the intent is to limit to cyberlimb to a single stat increase. There are many far more efficient ways to word this.

Nowhere does it say that each cyberlimb can have only one of each type of accessory. I think the intent was probably something more along the lines of "You cannot use a single Attribute Increase accessory to increase more than one Attribute." And "Only one Attribute can be raised above racial maximums in each Cyberlimb." But trying to get these all into condensed language wound up with something that "Each cyberlimb can have a single Attribute Increase accessory which affects only one of Strength, Agility, or Armor" could have said more directly.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <07-25-20/0322:13> »
The wording is terrible. Yes.

But it seems clear that the intent is that each time you buy the Attribute Increase accessory it is taken for either Agility, Armor, or Strength. When you buy one rank of Attribute Increase it only increase either Agility, Armor, or Strength. That one rank of Attribute Increase does not increase all three attributes at once. The Attribute Increase accessory itself can only add either Agility, Armor, or Strength.

Each cyberlimb can have multiple cyberlimb accessories. The attribute increase accessory can be taken for each of the three attributes, independent of each other.

The only limiting factor here is capacity (and resources).

You can install an obvious cyberarm with for example 7 ranks of the Increase Agility accessory (for a total Agility of 9) and 8 ranks of the Increase Strength accessory (for a total Strength of 10). If you like.

....even if you only have a natural Agility and Strength of say, 3.

Now, since the maximum augmented increase of 4 is in place here you would only be allowed to utilize an Agility rating of 3+4=7 and Strength rating of 3+4=7 (which mean the last 2 ranks of your Increased Agility accessory and the last 3 ranks of Increased Strength accessory would currently be 'wasted').

Having said that, if you later, during game play, raise your natural Agility from 3 to 5 and your natural Strength from 3 to 6 you would actually be allowed to utilize the full scope of your obvious cyberarm (since Agility 5+4=9 and Strength 6+4=10).