« on: <07-24-20/1631:18> »
To start a grapple in 6th edition (crb pg 111):
 “make an unarmed Close
Combat + Agility test. Instead of making the net
hits into damage, the attacker rolls Strength + net
hits vs. opponent’s Strength. If they succeed in this
test, they have wrapped up and restrained the opponent.”

The way I understand this is:
1)   “Combat + Agility test” presumably implies resisted by the opponent’s normal defense roll (with luck you may have a few net hits)
2)   But then the second roll, what is not clear to me is whether it is rolling versus a threshold of the opponent’s strength, or if the opponent is rolling just their strength.  The former makes grappling anyone of modest strength very unlikely, so the latter makes more sense – but that is far from clear to me in the reading.

And my second question: so far as I can see in Firing Squad, no more interrupt throw actions?  In 5th both throw and sacrifice throw, IIRC, could be done as interrupt actions when you were attacked, which makes sense for the soft martial arts that are all about re-directing an attackers momentum. 
  • The trip action only works as an add on when you are attacking with a weapon
  • sacrifice throw is (weirdly) something you do when someone is knocking you down (as opposed to them attacking you in general)
  • there is the ‘tackle’ option on grappling which you do as a follow up to a successful grapple, so very much not in response to being attacked
did I miss an option in there somewhere?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-24-20/1923:42> »
If a threshold is invoked, the threshold is always given in parenthesis (see pg 35.)

So:

"Strength + net hits vs. opponent’s Strength" means you roll a number of dice equal to your Strength + number of net hits vs number of dice equal to their Strength.

If it were a threshold, it'd have been annotated thusly:

"Strength + net hits (opponent's Strength) test".
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #2 on: <07-24-20/2304:16> »
Thank you!  My reading of sixth has been pretty scattershot and I obviously missed picking up on that convention.