NEWS

Miami as a setting?

• 13 Replies

Cthulhutech

• Newb
« on: <07-28-11/0026:57> »
So I didn't know where to put this, but this seemed the likely forum to try.  I've run Shadowrun off and on since high school, and I've currently been running with the same group for the last few years.  I'm looking at possibly moving the game from Seattle to a new city (if they want to of course), and I'm thinking Miami would be a good one to run in.  What I'm wondering is whether or not there's any material out there for Miami as it is in the Sixth World.  The only thing I've ever seen was that little blurb about the Republic of South Florida in the old Cyberpirates! book.  Anyone know if any of the newer stuff has any info on the city, or have an idea of where I could start looking for info?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <07-28-11/1213:06> »
Great, now I want to make Sam Axe, with a fake SIN of Charles "Chuck" Finley.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

StarManta

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <07-28-11/1532:08> »
Contacts:
Michael Westin (Ex-Spy) Loy 4 Con 5
Fiona Glen-ann (Demolitions Expert) Loy 3 Con 4
Barry (Money Launderer) Loy 1 Con 6

Skills:
Con 5
(Seduction) +2

Qualities:
Hung Out to Dry
Addiction (Alcohol, Mild)
« Last Edit: <07-28-11/1545:25> by StarManta »

StarManta

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <07-28-11/1539:20> »
Though in seriousness, there isn't a lot to go on. Sixth World Almanac has a paragraph on it, and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else. That said, as long as you're willing to make up a LOT of stuff whole cloth, that one paragraph contains seeds for at least a couple of adventures. Basically it's full of a bunch of warring A-level corps ("corporate battleground" is the phrase the book uses), the dominant crime syndicate is something called the House of Jah, and the Ghost Cartels are making inroads. If those sound like something your group would be interested in, go for it.

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #4 on: <07-28-11/2058:53> »
I can't be the only one morbidly wondering what Shadowrun's Disney World looks like.
« Last Edit: <07-29-11/0000:24> by Red Canti »
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #5 on: <07-28-11/2141:57> »
I can't be the only one morbidly wondering what Shadowrun's Disney World looks like.
I ran a game in DisneyLand.

My group hates LA now.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Cthulhutech

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <07-28-11/2240:35> »
Though in seriousness, there isn't a lot to go on. Sixth World Almanac has a paragraph on it, and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else. That said, as long as you're willing to make up a LOT of stuff whole cloth, that one paragraph contains seeds for at least a couple of adventures. Basically it's full of a bunch of warring A-level corps ("corporate battleground" is the phrase the book uses), the dominant crime syndicate is something called the House of Jah, and the Ghost Cartels are making inroads. If those sound like something your group would be interested in, go for it.

I figured the Ghost Cartels would be fairly big in Miami, especially since the city's had such a drug problem in the real world.  House of Jah sounds familiar, I think I remember seeing it in another supplement.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #7 on: <07-28-11/2245:23> »
You know, I could pull out my old GTA:  Vice City map and...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crash_00

« Reply #8 on: <07-28-11/2249:02> »
And of course player's who gain too much notoriety get visited by a certain expert blood analyst.  8) Damnit now I have to go stat out Dexter in SR terms.

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #9 on: <07-28-11/2354:56> »
Miami is going to be the Seattle of the South by the end of this discussion, isn't it?
Now that I think of it, isn't Miami one of 3 points of the Bermuda Triangle?

CanRay: Just imagine the Small World ride with Adorable little Ork and Troll Gangers. And Dragons and dancing Insect Spirits. Mother of god it'd be demented.
« Last Edit: <07-29-11/0000:56> by Red Canti »
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

Crash_00

« Reply #10 on: <07-29-11/0020:55> »
Shadowrunning in Disney Land makes me want to watch Beverly Hills Cop III.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #11 on: <07-29-11/0732:32> »
Shadowrunning in Disney Land makes me want to watch Beverly Hills Cop III.
NOTHING makes me want to watch that movie again.

Remember though, Disney (& Universal) are waaaay north of Miami (4 hours by car). So, while the adventure parks and cyber-puppet presidents* are running around up there, Miami is where the smuggling and shadow action is.

*Great, now I'm thinking of a Westworld scenario for Shadowrun.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #12 on: <07-29-11/0828:30> »
Thank you, Fastjack...though it is only about half that if you drive like you are from Miami.  :P

Miami is the Third World, not the Sixth.  :o But in all seriousness, it would probably be a great setting...

...especially if you want to run a low-armor campaign.

Trust me. Kevlar in Miami = The Suck. 

Also, anything heavier than a Cubavera shirt would draw a LOT of suspicion.

Plus, you have to force every character to take the Uncouth and Incompetent (Pilot Ground Vehicle) Negative Qualities for free.   ;)  Civility and driving are akin to black magic in The 305.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate
« Last Edit: <07-29-11/0834:38> by JoeNapalm »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #13 on: <07-29-11/1306:00> »
"They ARE armor, Brah!"  Cybernetic/Biowear installed armour styles would be really, really advisable in some place like Miami!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11