NEWS

[6e] Firing Squad - Barrel Extension Mod

• 10 Replies

evileeyore

• Newb
  • ... because I only had one radiation suit.
« on: <07-10-21/2219:36> »
I'm just sanity checking here, because with the way these rules... I'm sometimes not sure I firmly grok what the writers were aiming for.

Firing Squad pg 57:
"The barrel extension mod moves the concealability threshold of a weapon down one, adds an available AR range category that starts at 0, and modifies the AR as follows: –2/—/+1/+2/+2. If a weapon has no Attack Rating in a given range category before this modification is applied, that category is not affected.."

For sits and goggles let's pretend I'm slappin this on a Remington Room Sweeper (no reason other than I have the AR memorized):  9/8/4/-/-

So does this "add a 0" at Far range?  Thus making the new AR:  7/8/5/2/-.
Or to both Far and Extreme, making it 7/8/5/2/2?
Or does the last line supersede and thus because the Roomsweeper has no Far or Extreme range this does not affect them?

I mean, sure this is really meant for to turn a mediumish ranged rifle into a long ranged rifle, or a sniper rifle into a better sniper rifle... but will this juice up a shotty or pistol?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-10-21/2228:01> »
The rule is attempting to say that any AR that was a - to begin with remains a -.

So the roomsweeper with a barrel extension would be 7/8/5/-/-.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Sir Ludwig

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <07-10-21/2231:35> »
Evil, 

What SSDR stated is the way I interpreted the rule as well. 

Regards,
SL 
Si vis pacem, para bellum

evileeyore

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <07-11-21/0001:15> »
The rule is attempting to say that any AR that was a - to begin with remains a -.

So the roomsweeper with a barrel extension would be 7/8/5/-/-.
Then what does "adds an available AR range category that starts at 0" mean?

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-11-21/0027:31> »
It means the value is something other than -.  - does not equal 0.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

evileeyore

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <07-11-21/0253:03> »
It means the value is something other than -.  - does not equal 0.
That doesn't make any sense.  The word "adds" should be doing something.  If they don't mean to "add another AR range that starts at 0" the sentence serves no purpose and the mod would make more sense without it.

Like where are we adding an AR range that starts at 0?
« Last Edit: <07-11-21/0255:45> by evileeyore »

autXautY

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <07-11-21/0827:11> »
My reading is it will end up at 7/8/5/2 - that it adds 1 range band where it's capable of firing (at AR 0), then adjusts AR, and any range bands that are '-' after the adding aren't adjusted.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <07-11-21/1347:32> »
My reading is it will end up at 7/8/5/2 - that it adds 1 range band where it's capable of firing (at AR 0), then adjusts AR, and any range bands that are '-' after the adding aren't adjusted.

I can see where you're coming from.  But ultimately, I stand by my answer.  The final sentence reads "If a weapon has no Attack Rating in a given range category before this modification is applied, that category is not affected" so the final word, as I read it, is every "-" in the AR array remains a "-" after you add this modification to your gun.  Yes, this does appear to mean that the clause "adds an available AR range category that starts at 0" appears to be deadwood language that is doing nothing but causing confusion and a rules conflict.  Absolutely worthy of errata imo.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <07-11-21/1619:16> »
It gives an extra range band then modifies it ... so 7/8/5/2/- is the correct interpretation

I.e. it changes the first - range band to 0 then apply the modifiers to all remaining non-zero range bands
« Last Edit: <07-11-21/1620:52> by Banshee »
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

autXautY

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <07-11-21/1741:37> »

I can see where you're coming from.  But ultimately, I stand by my answer.  The final sentence reads "If a weapon has no Attack Rating in a given range category before this modification is applied, that category is not affected" so the final word, as I read it, is every "-" in the AR array remains a "-" after you add this modification to your gun.  Yes, this does appear to mean that the clause "adds an available AR range category that starts at 0" appears to be deadwood language that is doing nothing but causing confusion and a rules conflict.  Absolutely worthy of errata imo.

I think that the question is whether "this modification" refers to the barrel extension as a whole, or to just the bit that alters attack ratings. The first seems like the more natural reading of that line - "modification" is a system term referring to the kind of thing barrel extension is, but the second means that the early line does in fact mean what it says. I'm inclined to value "read rules such that they don't contradict each other" highly, but I think both are reasonable readings. I'm also inclined to think that without extending the actual range barrel extension is a somewhat weak modification, and the range extension reading is more balanced (a long-barrel SMG is probably lower damage and definitely lower range than an assault rifle even with the boost, at the same concealability)
It also gives it more similarity to a negative short barrel modification - a gun with both would have -/+1/-1/+2/+2 and something weird happening to the longest range band without any change to max range or concealability. Not that people should apply both to the same weapon, but it makes sense that they'd cancel out.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <07-14-21/1933:08> »
Original Array: 9/8/4/-/-

With Long Barrel you add one category band: 9/8/4/0/-
Then you add this to your existing array: –2/—/+1/+2/+2

However! Only for categories that have a value (separate from '-').
'0' means it does have an attack rating, so you add +2 for Far.
The extreme range category still have '-' in this scenario so you will not add +2 for Extreme.

Final result end up being: 7/8/5/2/-

A Walter Palm Pistol have an array of: 12/7/—/—/—
With Long Barrel you add one category band: 12/7/0/—/—

Which mean you will end up with with: 10/7/1/—/—

A Ranger Arms SM5 have an array of: 3/6/9/11/12
You can't really add a range category on top of this: 3/6/9/11/12

Which mean you will end up with with: 1/6/10/13/14

« Last Edit: <07-14-21/1939:19> by Xenon »