NEWS

[SR6] Adept Powers, level max and raising magic at chargen

• 2 Replies

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« on: <11-15-20/1515:44> »
What is the level cap of adept powers?

Aside from Improved reflexes, which has a max level of 4. No other adept power has notes of what the max level an adept power can be at. In SR5 it was the adept's magic rating. While I don't see that spelled out anywhere, I'm going to assume that's still the case, because infinite level seems...broken...

Can adepts get more power points at chargen?

SR6 p66
Adepts have a pool of points equal to their Magic (as listed in the Priority table, before any adjustments) that they use to purchase adept powers.

This implies that you can only have at most 4 PP at chargen. This seems wrong, because

SR6 p156
Whenever adept characters gain a point of Magic, they also gain a power point.

Says if we raise the magic, we get power points. However, the example on the same page does not clarify this point.

Anyway, my two questions are.

• Does raising magic with adjustment points give an adept more point points?
  • And What is the level cap of adept powers?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-15-20/1551:25> »
Does raising magic with adjustment points give an adept more point points?
It does now. But only for [physical/social] Adept. Not for Mystical Adept.

And What is the level cap of adept powers?
For [physical/social] Adept:

At chargen the cap is equal to whatever current magic is when you exit chargen (typically the max here is 6).

Beyond this you also have Qi focus.

And each initiate grant a metamagic.
Instead of metamagic Adept can pick power point.

Initiate also increase max magic, which mean they can spend karma to increase current magic up to the new maximum magic rating. Each time magic rating is increased they get a power point.

For Mystic Adept:

At chargen the cap from magic depend on magic and resonance priority and also how many spells or rituals they start with (at priority A with no spells the max is 4).

The intent might or might not be that also Mystic adepts may bind Qi focus.
(this edition is actually really good at listing both Adept and Mystic Adept when they talk about both, but for Qi foci they actually only list Adept...)

Mystic Adept can also pick power point instead of Metamagic during initiation (but they don't gain one for free when raising magic rating).

(Max initiation grade is equal to current Magic rating, so there is really no stop on how many times you can initiate, and by extension there is also no limit on the amount of power points you can get, even for Mystic Adepts - but it will take quite a lot of Karma and Time to get there.... More so for Mystic Adept than Adept).

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #2 on: <11-17-20/1047:43> »
The contradiction between p66 and p156 got errataed. Adepts gain/lose with magic gain/loss, but Mystics do not gain, only lose.

I do not know what the intended max is for adept powers, unfortunately. I'd go with Magic max myself.

Adepts focus all of their magic inward, fueling
their talents with their innate ability to pull mana
in rather than channel it outward. Due to this physical
connection to their magic, they cannot astrally
project and only gain the ability to astrally perceive
through training. Adepts have a pool of points equal
to their Magic that they use to purchase adept powers.
For more information on adepts, see p. 156.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!