NEWS

(SR6) Cyberjacks can......?

• 11 Replies

Darksithmstr

• Newb
  • Fraggin' A
« on: <11-15-20/0237:22> »
if you aren't a Decker, no cyberdeck, using a commlink for most PAN, can you get a low level cyberjack to link your commlink with to make security tougher?  Is a cyberjack hardwired only?
See u in the Matrix!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-15-20/0326:16> »
Yes, you can also combine a cyberjack in your PAN if you are accessing the matrix via a Commlink (or a RCC). Since datajack provide you with DNI you can skip trodes/datajack (but Riggers typically still want a control rig since RCC does not come with a Sim module and they still need the control rig to make the jump anyway).

By doing this you will get access to Matrix specific Edge Actions (which you would normally not have in this scenario) and you also get increased Initiative Dice during VR (which is nice if you are a wheelman rigger or a drone rigger that often jump into your drones, for example).

And yes, when picking your Firewall and your Data Processing you now have two arrays to pick values from (pick the two highest values of the four listed values) - potentially making your security stronger.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #2 on: <11-15-20/1123:09> »
Wait Cyberjacks stack with jumping in? We really need some proper FAQ and errata for that at some point.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-15-20/1136:28> »
It is at minimum the writer's intent that the "Matrix Init Bonus" granted by Cyberjacks counts towards dice.

In addition to this being clear in Banshee's unofficial Matrix FAQ, you can also see it represented in the NPC stats in the Wild Life chapter... everyone with a cyberjack has annotation in parenthesis following the augmentation to remind you it gives them bonus I, ID, and IS.  I have no idea what IS is (probably a precursor to AC prior to AC evolving into its published form) but I is initiative and ID is initiative dice.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-15-20/1214:59> »
Wait Cyberjacks stack with jumping in? We really need some proper FAQ and errata for that at some point.

Just curious but what do you see that would make it confusing and/or not allowed?

I didn't put any restrictions on when or how you use a cyberjack so it should just be a decision of whether you want or need the benefits enough to make the investment
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <11-15-20/1325:06> »
Asides from the fact that obviously the rules don't state it's matrix bonus initiative dice, which needs some proper errata/faq, it feels weird that Cyberjacks would combine with a Control Rig, they feel like two different matrix-sources to me so combining them into max 5d6 Rigging Initiative is rather weird.

Darksithmstr

• Newb
  • Fraggin' A
« Reply #6 on: <11-15-20/1759:08> »
Thank you guys, yeah I just know using official rules that commlinks have such low security values, and paying extra for deltaware, you can get a low essence cost cyberjack, so even a magic user could spend 1 essence and have decent tech security.  Just dabbling with ideas.
See u in the Matrix!

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <11-15-20/1813:23> »
Asides from the fact that obviously the rules don't state it's matrix bonus initiative dice, which needs some proper errata/faq, it feels weird that Cyberjacks would combine with a Control Rig, they feel like two different matrix-sources to me so combining them into max 5d6 Rigging Initiative is rather weird.

The bonus dice i will give you, I have submitted that for errata multiple time now.

As for combining a control rig is much different from a cyberjack and can combine just as easily as a deck, RCC, or commlink. I don't see the conflict or confusion there. A cyberjack is just a datajack with a hyped up super processor that allows you to process matrix information faster.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <11-15-20/1849:50> »
Thank you guys, yeah I just know using official rules that commlinks have such low security values, and paying extra for deltaware, you can get a low essence cost cyberjack, so even a magic user could spend 1 essence and have decent tech security.  Just dabbling with ideas.

Well, be aware that a datajack doesn't do what you seem to think it does.

A datajack can't be the master of a PAN, and even if it could, it still has a D/F of 0/0. No matter what grade it is... used, standard, OR delta!  Only difference the grade makes is how big its matrix condition monitor is...

What you're thinking of is a CYBERjack, which is by design essence-costly, and therefore pretty unattractive to awakened characters...

Reading comprehension fail.  You DID say cyberjack, mea culpa o.0  Tho I'm still dubious that any magician would willingly take one... even the least invasive one is still pretty pricey in essence.
« Last Edit: <11-15-20/1857:09> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <11-16-20/0550:45> »
Using a lower level RCC (instead of a commlink and a lower level cyberjack) could also be an alternative if you wish to get a higher firewall rating.

The drawback here is that the RCC is pretty big (compared to commlink and an implanted cyberjack). And you don't get access to matrix specific edge actions nor does it overclock your connection during VR the same as a cyberjack would give you. RCC also don't come with a sim module (you typically use the control rig for this, without a control rig VR might become an issue actually...)

On the plus side it let you slave a lot more devices, it have very good noise reduction, it can even share autosofts in case you have some drones and it doesn't cost any essence.

A Hermetic Magician with Simsense Vertigo that owns a bunch of drones that she commands through her RCC? Why not ;-)

Sir Ludwig

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <11-16-20/2057:47> »
MC,

I'm finding that the new players are helping me make the transition to 6th edition.   Things I assumed based on prior editions don't hold true.  Actually did have a mage do something like this because the group (at the time) didn't have a rigger/hacker. 

Best,
SL

(Forgive Spelling/Grammar, currently traveling)
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #11 on: <11-17-20/1044:08> »
Fair enough. I just figured that since you can't for example do Deck+RCC, Cyberjack+RCC also wouldn't work, but I guess it's not horrible if it combines.