NEWS

active skillsofts

• 41 Replies

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #15 on: <09-08-10/0105:42> »
Is that true for the expert Skillwires system??

The prophecy says, the ESS only allows you to use Edge in tests done with skillwired skills.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <09-08-10/0141:55> »
Not really even a low karma GM would probally give 4 karma a run. You at least get 1 for surviveing and 1 for doing the run 2 more in a run isn't not that much. My players average 6 to 8 a run, Missions pay at least 4 as much as 6 a run if done well.
Considering that a point of karma is worth 2500¥ so if GM is interested on balance the run should IMHO pay atleast that much per point of karma it gives, so 8karma run pays 20k¥.
Oh look at that one run to get the skillsoft too.
Or you could just pirate the skillsoft at 1000¥ per rating.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #17 on: <09-08-10/0210:50> »
I am still not convinced that Skillsofts are even piratable, since they are never mentioned in any of the software tables. Sure, they would degrade, but even that can be circumvented...
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

MJBurrage

• Newb
  • Running shadows since 2050
« Reply #18 on: <09-08-10/0224:57> »
As noted by others, the cost increase was a game balance fix.  In general I agree that it was needed, but wish they had used a non-linear fix (SR4 seems afraid of math).

A cost of 2500 × Rating2 would give:
Rating   Cost
  1  2500
I know that Rating 5 & 6 are not allowed officially, but make them expensive enough, and they become more balanced.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <09-08-10/0237:02> »
I am still not convinced that Skillsofts are even piratable, since they are never mentioned in any of the software tables. Sure, they would degrade, but even that can be circumvented...
Why wouldn't they be, skillsoft is a software just like anything else.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Jonny Reload

• Newb
  • The guns go PEW PEW PEW!
« Reply #20 on: <09-08-10/0318:51> »
FastJack: 8 Karma for a few Missions?!?!?  :o You have the cheapest GM to ever to crack open a book of Shadowrun

CyberT2000: I've been playing Shadowrun since Microsoft owned it... Well, they still got the video games but you know what I mean. This was definitely needed in terms of balance issues since 2nd Edition. You gotta learn to think outside of the box. Hackers and Mages alone can make TONS of Nuyen on the side to easily afford this stuff for themselves or other members of their group. Hell, a Mage with the Catalog and Fix spells could walk into a Junkyard, bribe the guys there to let you take some junk, find broken but really expensive stuff, insta-fix it, re-sell it on the black market. A Hacker could forge counterfeit Nuyen (It's risky.... BUT YOUR MAKING MONEY FROM NOTHING!  :D) Hell, even a starting hacker could start out as a Car Thief and even marked down at 30% from the street value, your still making 1,000's of nuyen!!! There is no way you can complain about prices of anything in this game!  ;D
« Last Edit: <09-08-10/0320:26> by Jonny Reload »
"Do you hear that Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability... That is the sound of your death."
-Agent Smith from The Matrix

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <09-08-10/0610:51> »
Now see I have no interest in inrolling in the Dollhouse (loved that series) nor in being a Cyberzombie all magic things want to kill me character. Partail borg maybe but debateable and if I did I still want the skills screw hopeing i know it on chip.
La la la laaaa
La la la la laaa laaaa

Super creepy theme song.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #22 on: <09-08-10/0927:26> »
FastJack: 8 Karma for a few Missions?!?!?  :o You have the cheapest GM to ever to crack open a book of Shadowrun
Nah, just the group I played with usually don't generate much on the Individidual karma awards... :P

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #23 on: <09-08-10/1647:00> »
CyberT2000: I've been playing Shadowrun since Microsoft owned it... Well, they still got the video games but you know what I mean.

Point of interest to the best of my knowledge Micro$oft ONLY EVER owned the elecronic rights thats it the rest was owned by the Wiesman's in some form or another till I think they sold it to TOPS.
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

Jonny Reload

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: <09-08-10/2023:04> »

Point of interest to the best of my knowledge Micro$oft ONLY EVER owned the elecronic rights thats it the rest was owned by the Wiesman's in some form or another till I think they sold it to TOPS.
Hate to burst your bubble, but who do you think bought out FASA back in the day?  :) (Google it)
"Do you hear that Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability... That is the sound of your death."

Wayfinder

• Newb
  • fraggin fragged frag
« Reply #25 on: <09-08-10/2345:15> »
Having been a rabid fan of Shadowrun during the demise of Fasa. I can say that all the official announcements had Microsoft buying ONLY the Fasa Interactive portion of the company. Thus leaving the future of the print lines in Limbo for several months until finally being licensed out. It was a very scary time because there was a very real threat that the line would die with the implosion of Fasa.

Jonny Reload

• Newb
« Reply #26 on: <09-09-10/0016:39> »
Either way, I know Microsoft only had the rights to publish games  ;D Let's get this topic back on track since we've hi-jacked it enough.

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #27 on: <09-09-10/0044:45> »

Hate to burst your bubble, but who do you think bought out FASA back in the day?  :) (Google it)

M$ bought the electroinc rights the company FASA Ownership involved the elder Wiseman who then sold the BT SR and i think ED licences to his Son who started Wizkids then he merged ?? with tops then sold out right to tops and started another company which I think now owns the electronic rights.

NO I can't say for certin but that is the basics as I understand them.

During this time SR BT and ED were licenced to various companies to produce.
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

Caine Hazen

• Global Moderator
  • Omae
  • Dumpshocker Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: <09-09-10/0947:14> »
MS founded and continued FASA Interactive (FASA Studio), which is how they ended up with all of the electronic rights and full rights on Crimson Skies (the only game line fully sold to MS). Wizkids (licensed to FanPro) and then TOPPS ended up with the publishing rights for the other aspects of Shadowrun and Battletech.  MS at not time ever ended up with all the publishing rights to Shadowrun...
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat~DNA
SRGC 0.3: SR1 SR2 SR3 SR4++ h b+++ B--- D++ UB++ IE+ RN-- fnord DSF++++ W++++ hk+ ri++ m gm++ M--(+) P FP+

Jonny Reload

• Newb
« Reply #29 on: <09-09-10/0951:31> »
I guess the history behind Shadowrun was more confusing then I thought...  ???