NEWS

Shadowrun: Parazoology PDF...

• 52 Replies

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <03-13-11/1226:11> »
Art is subjective.
...which is why my typical take on arts is suum cuique.

But those weird legs on the lobster? The featureless gray-and-blue thing painted over the detailed claws? I know it sounds like "I consider my opinion objective", but I can't see how anybody thinks this holds up to the seamlessly composed images from PAoNA.

And then there's the technical things - a pixelated image is a pixelated image. Compression artifacts around small text are compression artifacts. Subjective? Well, if a a shop sends you an offer, written on half a page ripped from a notebook, in scrawly writing and with some remains of the writer's breakfast on it, is it subjective to consider that unprofessional?

(yes, I'm exaggerating ;))

Seeing as how this forum is set up pretty much the same as the BattleTech forum (a forum I set up more than ten years ago with another fellow) I fail to see how FastJack posting his opinion is a "misunderstanding" of his obligations.
What I was referring to is that sometimes some mods of some boards display sort of a "whose bread you eat" mentality...despite not being paid at all ;)
« Last Edit: <03-13-11/1235:37> by Sengir »

Wesley Street

• Newb
« Reply #31 on: <03-14-11/1257:18> »
...which is why my typical take on arts is suum cuique.

But those weird legs on the lobster? The featureless gray-and-blue thing painted over the detailed claws? I know it sounds like "I consider my opinion objective", but I can't see how anybody thinks this holds up to the seamlessly composed images from PAoNA.

And then there's the technical things - a pixelated image is a pixelated image. Compression artifacts around small text are compression artifacts. Subjective? Well, if a a shop sends you an offer, written on half a page ripped from a notebook, in scrawly writing and with some remains of the writer's breakfast on it, is it subjective to consider that unprofessional?
This.

It's fine to argue over who one feels is the superior artist, such as Laubenstein or Bradstreet. That's completely subjective. What can be agreed upon is that both artists turned in professional work which resulted in their going on to bigger and better commissions. I can objectively say that not all the artwork in Parazoology meets the criteria of professional presentation. That's not a matter of taste, it's a matter of consistent and accurate renderings. Some of the art is passable and I would even go so far to say "good". But a lot (I'd say too much) is not. The bulldog stoat and the cactus cat have both issues with anatomy as well as their renderings in watercolor (or whatever format Ms. Hardy used); heavy black outlines which make photo-realistic images look strangely cartoony, weird placement of musculature, bizarre subject matter placement. Many of the faults can also be placed on the eBook designer. Compression artifacts? Really? That's amateur hour.

If I had to take a guess, and judging by the inconsistency of the art I don't think I'm wrong, Kat had a certain number of paintings completed and in order to make the due date had to whip out the rest without taking as much care or time. Paychecks and deadlines often result in rushed work. It happens. It's not an excuse but it's a (possible) explanation.

As for the lack of shadowjabber, that's disappointing but it isn't a deal-breaker. This is a game supplement (no offense intended, Pathica). Is Winterhawk's treatise on the bunyip going to affect my game or provide material I can really use? Probably not. The writing does the job even though I don't think Michael quite has his SR legs under him yet. He's almost there. Unfortunately there's also quite a bit that's going to need to be added in as errata. Water critters should probably have the Gills quality.

Quote from: FastJack
It's not as great as This Old Drone or 10 Jackpointers, but still a decent product that fits as an addendum to Running Wild.
I'm honestly a little surprised by that statement. I wrote half of 10 Jackpointers and I think Parazoology is the better buy.  :D 10JP was a bloody nightmare to write and didn't deliver what I was told it was going to.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #32 on: <03-14-11/1356:01> »
Quote from: FastJack
It's not as great as This Old Drone or 10 Jackpointers, but still a decent product that fits as an addendum to Running Wild.
I'm honestly a little surprised by that statement. I wrote half of 10 Jackpointers and I think Parazoology is the better buy.  :D 10JP was a bloody nightmare to write and didn't deliver what I was told it was going to.
Ah, I'm a bit prejudicial to anything that details the in-game runners. ;)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #33 on: <03-14-11/1737:00> »
I really liked 10 Jackpointers.  Gives the characters a bit more punch when they talk in the other books to my mind.  I don't feel bad buying that one.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Wesley Street

• Newb
« Reply #34 on: <03-15-11/0921:07> »
Well, gracias to you. I don't feel like such a tool for having worked on that project now.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #35 on: <03-15-11/2236:23> »
Well, gracias to you. I don't feel like such a tool for having worked on that project now.
*laughs*
definitely not :)  I like the book also :D
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #36 on: <03-22-11/1658:16> »
Well, I hoped that Ill get at least some info on critters mentioned in Feral cities (for  instance Ammit, Bahari, Mokele-Mbembe), some beasts to make Amazonia interesting or Madagascar jungle the hell described in Cyberpirates, and more usefull stuff. More urban critters, maybe, but I should work with what I got from RW on this.
In fact, after brief reading of this Parazoology I dont see why runners should be interrested in 50% of things listed in this source.
Cross References...in cactus cat description, there is Helspawn salamander mentioned. Where to find it? dont know, my browser remains silent.
Artwork..well. I may not be the right man to judge. It remainds me childhood and basic school creative lessons...
Srry...
3$ should be enought, next time I will read the preview more carefully.

Wesley Street

• Newb
« Reply #37 on: <03-27-11/1249:33> »
General question for everyone: how often do you find yourself actually using critters as obstacles or plot points in the SR adventures you run? Do you buy books like Running Wild and Parazoology because you like the fluff or because you actually plan on using an incubus or blood kite and need the stats?

I love the original Paranormal Animals of... books but I've always had a hard time figuring out a use for non-sentient critters in an urban setting.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #38 on: <03-27-11/1331:16> »
I do so quite oftenly, because my players do a lot of jobs in jungle and Feral cities and explorations of ancient ruins for Draco foundation. So i hoped for some awakened paracritters that will cause my players some pretty nightmares...
Running Wild was really good for me, even with enought examples and rules to create my own critters, althought I had to add some Danger rating and awakened powers to some of those beasts to make them really scarry...

DesVoeux

• Newb
  • Accipe Hoc
« Reply #39 on: <04-09-11/0114:57> »
I don't use critters (besides security critters) or stage shadowruns in the wilderness particularly often in my games, and bought both Running Wild and Parazoology more for the background. As such, I was very disappointed in Parazoology both for the lack of shadowtalk and the art. (No offense to the artist, who I'm sure was on a very tight deadline.) Even the opening JackPoint login screen was comically brief.

Drifting off subject... the PDF-only supplements are a real mixed bag. I buy them because I'm a completist and know Catalyst needs the money. But they, in general, seem very rushed and a tad overpriced given their brevity. (Although I liked The Rotten Apple and 10 JackPointers.)
"No one starts a war; or rather, no one in his senses ought to do so; without first being clear in his mind what he intends to achieve by that war and how he intends to conduct it." - Carl Philipp Gottfried von Clausewitz

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #40 on: <05-27-11/1728:28> »
Big question about one of the critters, the Bunyip lost his shapechange ability. He has had it in the past of SR, but I see that he more resembles the version that my wife is more familiar with from Australia (though there are lots of different thoughts on what the look like and what they can do).

My question is was this on purpose, or was the ability dropped by mistake. It would be a simple fix to add innate spell (shapechange)...just wanted to know what the official thoughts are?

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #41 on: <05-30-11/0130:46> »
Big question about one of the critters, the Bunyip lost his shapechange ability. He has had it in the past of SR, but I see that he more resembles the version that my wife is more familiar with from Australia (though there are lots of different thoughts on what the look like and what they can do).

My question is was this on purpose, or was the ability dropped by mistake. It would be a simple fix to add innate spell (shapechange)...just wanted to know what the official thoughts are?
I never noticed that change...hmmm...may have to hand in my Vegemite and Boomerang.

To date, there's no official (IRL) idea on what a (the?) Bunyip should look like. Unlike other mythological folklore in other countries, the Bunyip has very little documentation attached and no two occurrences describe the same type of creature.... maybe it's just a pre-Awakening shapechanging mutant? :D
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Giabralter

• Freelancer
  • Chummer
« Reply #42 on: <05-31-11/1112:39> »

Hmm. Have to think on that one. If you haven't noticed, the shape changing critters didn't show up yet (talis cat, Kludde, Protean). That's more due to thinking about how to present the crunch of the ability.

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #43 on: <05-31-11/1255:44> »
Thanks for all the reply’s, I was thinking of going with the format from shapechanger and Drake, "Shift- with creature specific details underneath" it will allow me to not have to Follow set rules with the spell shapechange and adapt the power to get the results I see for certain creatures

Giabralter

• Freelancer
  • Chummer
« Reply #44 on: <05-31-11/1529:42> »
So something like

Shift (See Note)
Note: The Bunyip can shift into any indigenous Australian animal

?