NEWS

Upcoming Shadowrun releases

• 1367 Replies

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1335 on: <03-24-21/1047:35> »
Not to mention a Karmagen System (or pretty much any alternative Chargen system, because it can´t get really worse than 6th Edition Prio table...)

I wouldn't even mind a priority system where all possible combinations ended up in relatively the same total karma field. As it is though, it's possible for two characters out of chargen to have an immense total karma disparity, which is nonsense for game balance.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1336 on: <03-24-21/1200:19> »

But then there is the whole argument against prio system (in general) to begin with. Using one set of advancement rules for chargen and another totally different set of rules post chargen will always inherently be troublesome I think :-(

Lots of games have a flat chargen cost with an increasing post-gen cost advancement set up.  But Shadowrun is the biggest jump in costs that I've played.  1 Point in chargen to raise an attribute from 4 to 5?  Or 50 Karma, which is 7+ runs worth of Karma.  The math pushes a player very strongly to max out one thing before starting an investment in another.

One suggestion, change skill advancement to 5 plus what you're going to, and (non-Magic) Attribute advancement to 10 plus, say double what you're going to.  Much less mathematical incentive to Max out a thing before buying the next thing.  Still going to be the most optimal way, but much less of a Karma difference compared to multiple moderate investments currently.

There are a lot of other ways to handle it.  But flatting out the advancement curve in a way that favors mundane characters is my preference.  YMMV.

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #1337 on: <03-25-21/0936:25> »
Well put. IMO, linear costs and progressive costs are both valid options: The first is simpler, the second leads to less min-maxing and more rounded characters.

But using linear costs for Chargen (Attribute and Skill points from the Priority table) and then switching to progressively rising Karma costs after chargen - or rather, during the last step of chargen - taxes the players for not going as narrow as possible right from the start. And later during play, no real progression is made because the main dice pools are already maxed out (or super expensive to advance) and everyone is just pushing up a few side skills. And that´s an issue even without the wonky priorities of 6th Edition.

Not to mention that it would be just simpler to use the same system for chargen and advancement...
« Last Edit: <03-25-21/0941:16> by Finstersang »

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #1338 on: <03-25-21/1749:10> »
I think this is just one of those areas where Shadowrun players have convinced themselves it's how Shadowrun is supposed to be.

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1339 on: <05-16-21/1727:16> »
Hey guys! Any word on a character options book for 6E? Interested in new qualities especially.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1340 on: <05-16-21/2332:14> »
There's news of upcoming releases on the latest "What's Up with Shadowrun"

[link]

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1341 on: <05-16-21/2342:16> »
Squee!
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1342 on: <05-17-21/1409:58> »
Any news on whether they’re considering more pdf minis like the Ingentis book?
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Sir Ludwig

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #1343 on: <05-17-21/2240:37> »
Yeah, very excited about that book, for multiple reasons.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #1344 on: <05-21-21/1158:07> »
I'll point out that Tourist Trapped has been out on drivethrufiction for at least a couple of weeks. (Yes, I read it.  No, you really don't need to.  Doesn't provide any solid insight into the blackout, technomancers seemed non-canon to me.  If you want to read it go ahead, but there isn't anything that you need to read in there)

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1345 on: <07-03-21/0625:01> »
Any more news on Double Clutch? It was supposedly ’going to the printers’?!?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1346 on: <07-03-21/1033:53> »
Any more news on Double Clutch? It was supposedly ’going to the printers’?!?

I don't know this to be the case, but I suspect they're holding onto it for a Gen Con release.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1347 on: <07-03-21/1050:13> »
There's news of upcoming releases on the latest "What's Up with Shadowrun"

[link]
@Stainless Steel… think this is the relevant link? But yes, you’re probably right. When is Gen Con?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1348 on: <07-03-21/1133:46> »
They moved it to september 16-19.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1349 on: <09-20-21/1234:38> »
Is there an ETA on Double Clutch pdf? Sounds like some hard copies were at Gen Con!?