NEWS

Cyber Limbs Question

• 15 Replies

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« on: <07-30-11/0853:48> »
I started a new campaign with 4 cyber limbs+torso and my character's strength, agility and body are 1. Is there any major reason to upgrade them with karma? It seems like upgrading the attributes on my cyber limbs is better because afaik the average rating is used in many cases and it seems rare that my characters attibutes would matter. I have been making all my body tests by using the average of my cyber lims. I make my firearms attacks with my cyber arm's agility and so on. So should I spend karma on my physical attributes?(other than reaction)
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #1 on: <07-30-11/0929:29> »

Cyber Torsos and Skulls are shells.

I would think BOD tests other than Damage Resistance would default to your unaugmented score.

With BOD 1, therefore, you'd be a crunchy outside with a soft wimpy center. Fatigue, pathogens, etc. would be grave dangers (is there any other kind?).

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-30-11/0954:09> »
That's a good point. I could see my character getting sick easier in general. It's kind of odd if my body score doesn't matter for it's primary function. A character with 1 cyber leg is probably not taking too many shots to the leg yet he uses his cyber leg's body for all damage resistance tests? Seems odd lol.

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <07-30-11/1130:26> »
Technically the head counts as a full limb so it factors into your average scores so increasing its stats with karma can matter.  However, most people just ignore this and just treat it as a partial limb (i.e. doesn't factor into averaging).

As for the more rare Body tests, I'm not sure.  For example if you're just a sack of organs and a head, what exactly gets fatigued when you run?  Pathogens I can see however.

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-30-11/1321:53> »
I think I read that only the average attributes ratings of your cyberware matter. That would be cool if the regular attributes mattered but are you sure that's how it works?

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-30-11/1717:50> »
At least a cyber skull gives +1 physical box

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #6 on: <07-30-11/1908:53> »
And a killer head butt.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <07-30-11/1912:06> »
And a killer head butt.

They only make it P right?

Now a troll with a cyber-spur horn, thats a killer headbutt

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <07-30-11/2009:06> »
It's kooky. You average all limbs involved in a test. The example doesn't work if you treat Cyberskulls as a full limb (but makes it unquestionably clear that cybertorsos are full limbs). The other way to read the text is that you average all your body scores, ie, each cyberlimb once and your own score once, regardless of how many limbs you have, but that is considerably less popular of a reading.

At the end of the day, the Platonic Form of the cyberlimb rules doesn't matter, just what your GM rules they work like.

However, "all limbs involved in a test" does lead to stuff where your test doesn't involve your ware at all. For example, toxins - there's no interaction with any of your cyberware, so if you are exposed to, say, poison gas, the body test should only use your meat body score.

My stance is that General Grievous is a perfectly valid way to roll. Yes, you DO have some weaknesses (like toxins); if you're smart, you'll prepare for them. You also pay a lot of nuyen and essence, and you have the disadvantage of looking very unmistakeably like a killer cyborg. In return you are in fact a killer cyborg. Generally, characters like this wind up trading offense for defense; you aren't going to be able to afford quite as much IP boosting or whatnot as a differently focused street samurai because of all the essence used on the ware, but you will also be a lot tougher.

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <07-30-11/2225:38> »
My character is really tough but has no extra ip's. Although my Brother is playing a Shaman with increased reaction so as long as he's with me I have pretty amazing character to work with.

Trenchknife

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <07-31-11/1456:53> »
As for the more rare Body tests, I'm not sure.  For example if you're just a sack of organs and a head, what exactly gets fatigued when you run?  Pathogens I can see however.

The amount of work your lungs, diaphragm and stomach muscles do when you run is actually pretty intensive.  Fatigue will still happen. 
It's not the man with the gun that gets you.  It's the three bullets he fired that tore through you vital organs that's killed you.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #11 on: <08-04-11/1226:08> »
My character is really tough but has no extra ip's. Although my Brother is playing a Shaman with increased reaction so as long as he's with me I have pretty amazing character to work with.

Does he have a Sustaining Focus (Health)? Or is he just such a nice guy that he doesn't mind maintaining a spell for you?

Actually, even with the Focus, that would be pretty generous, considering what Foci cost.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #12 on: <08-04-11/2039:38> »

Does he have a Sustaining Focus (Health)? Or is he just such a nice guy that he doesn't mind maintaining a spell for you?

Actually, even with the Focus, that would be pretty generous, considering what Foci cost.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist
Quickening, baby ;)
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <08-04-11/2201:32> »
He has 2 sustaining health foci. We are Brothers and it's just him and I in this campaign so we had 1 healing focus and 4 sustaining health foci. It's working out really well. He enjoys playing support style characters and hits like a truck with his bow :D

Jiokuy

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <08-08-11/1837:28> »
The amount of work your lungs, diaphragm and stomach muscles do when you run is actually pretty intensive.  Fatigue will still happen.
Yes but cyberlegs don't need Oxygen. He could, in theory, run until his power supply ran out; seeing as the only skeletal muscle left in his body is from the neck up (or less.