NEWS

Melee Weapon Modifications

• 84 Replies

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #30 on: <04-28-11/0357:08> »
Seem to be missing Ceramic/Plasteel Components as useful melee weapon mods; you know, in case you want to use something else than a ceramic knife.

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #31 on: <04-28-11/0417:33> »
You're misinterpreting it, a little. See, the reason I made the AP get worse when you put spikes on something, or serrations, is because the actual damaging part is spread out over a wider area, meaning that armor would have more opportunities to get in the way.

I can see where you got that and how it would work balance wise, but I'm not sure that it would work that way. Serrations allow for a sawing motion to be added in to a cut, which to me would give it the chance to tear through flesh and armor better. as far as the damaging surface of a blade being spread out, that's basically true for any cutting weapon. the length of the blade no matter how sharp, will be spreading the actual force across it's whole length that is making contact with the target, the only way to avoid that, is to stab and thrust, or use a smaller sharpened area to attack with. You might say this doesn't make sense after watching a katana sheer through something, but that has more to do with the style of it's use than it's sharpness. (if necessary I'll try and explain that in a PM.) Where serrations actually start to become a hindrance is when you start talking about where they land. I can tell you from personal experience that trying to remove a serrated blade that is stuck on thick bone is a serious pain for both parties. Another thing I dislike about them is that they are impossible to sharpen with out special tools in most cases. >:(

So, any ideas on other possible mods? Maybe some things calling on SR tech that I haven't thought of?

Off the top of my head nothing terribly impressive (imo anyway).
I've had a few Ideas that seemed like they might be good, but I'm not sure about. :-\

for instance, a smartlink type program for melee weapons. It would in theory use a runner's data feeds from sensors, (eyes etc.) to work out weaknesses in an enemies fighting style or armor, allowing for a making a called shot -1 rather than -2 DP and giving them a +1-2 DP while using said weapon in melee combat. it would project via it's program a HUD for your cybereyes, contacts, or wherever you store your vision modifications.

ways of coating a melee weapon: with either toxins or with existing nano tech to deliver focused doses of nano machines, RFID tags or toxins inside a target. the nano machines and toxins explain themselves, but the RFID tags would be helpful if you needed to track the person if they got away. somehow. Just have the tags screaming at every node the pass by relaying to you where they go (I know you could shoot them with a RFID tag from a gun, this is another option.)

Seem to be missing Ceramic/Plasteel Components as useful melee weapon mods; you know, in case you want to use something else than a ceramic knife.
I do like this one though.^ :D

most of my Ideas focus around weapon design more than modification. ex: The better it's built, the less mods are required to mitigate it's function.
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #32 on: <04-28-11/1530:48> »
I dunno, I thought the Mercurial idea was silly when I first saw it in D&D, and I still think it's silly.

Hey, let's put a borehole right down the center of the strongest part of the blade! I'm sure nothing could go wrong!

-k

LonePaladin

• Chummer
  • Creator of HeroForge
« Reply #33 on: <04-28-11/1553:56> »
Oh, yeah, never meant to imply that it wasn't at least a little bit odd. It wouldn't be the first time something like that's turned up in SR, though. Things like voice-response on weapons, or modding a van into a blimp (dumb, but possible).
"You can stop talking now.  Really.  Stop.  I have a Uzi."

ᴖᴥᴖ

Download my Matrix Card set:
https://sites.google.com/site/resonancerealms/

GeLrIrToCrH

• Newb
« Reply #34 on: <04-28-11/1623:05> »
I just remembered reading a piece of shadowrun fiction that had a character with a cyberarm that had a mercury reservior that gave it more punching power. I think it was written by Jason Hardy actually.

Sid

• Chummer
« Reply #35 on: <04-28-11/1637:55> »
This is the same setting that has Victorinox making floppy blades that only begin to harden after you unsheathe them fully. "Memory steel". Any ideas on bringing that to weapon mod scale?

ARCimedes

• Newb
  • /i\(;,;)/i\
« Reply #36 on: <04-28-11/1703:26> »
This is the same setting that has Victorinox making floppy blades that only begin to harden after you unsheathe them fully. "Memory steel". Any ideas on bringing that to weapon mod scale?

Check out the Victorinox Memory Blade on page 16 or Arsenal and the Flick Bayonet and SmartStaff on page 153 of War! I would think that making the weapon out of memory steel might preclude certain other adaptations, though.
-ARCimedes

Are you sure you want a flame thrower?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #37 on: <04-28-11/1818:27> »
Sorry, I just have to squeal like a little Schoolgirl when I think about Swiss Army Swords.

I wonder what other items are attached to the belt buckle/handgrip.   ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

LonePaladin

• Chummer
  • Creator of HeroForge
« Reply #38 on: <04-28-11/2322:38> »
Or turned into a modular cyberlimb attachment.

ᴖᴥᴖ

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #39 on: <04-28-11/2334:56> »
Or turned into a modular cyberlimb attachment.
Victorinox Swiss Army Cybernetics?

Certainly would be a big jump for the company, but might be in line with what they do.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JimJungle

• Chummer
  • I Keep My Ham Sliding...
« Reply #40 on: <04-29-11/0114:43> »
You could take the idea for the mercurial sword with the hollow blade and add in a flammable gas or liquid, and you got a fire blade. Or take a solid blade, add a rubber handle and put a battery in the handle to give the blade an electric charge. Or use the fire blade schematics and put in liquid nitrogen instead, for a freeze blade. Although that would probably make it brittle and shatter. In the end, the hollow tang sword, has multiple uses, poison included. How about a weapon that can be used to channel Elemental Strike?

EmperorPenguin

• Newb
« Reply #41 on: <04-29-11/1301:22> »
Swords of fire, lightning and ice... might as well just pick up a +2 longsword of speed...

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #42 on: <04-29-11/1313:34> »
Swords of fire, lightning and ice... might as well just pick up a +2 longsword of speed...
That's why I wanted to stay away from the Star Wars D20 system.  I really loathed the idea of a +1 Blaster of Sith Slaying.  :P

Anyhow, doesn't D20 give you cancer?  And is a reason for Your Friend And Mine, The Computer, to summarily execute you?  And slots dragons off enough for them to eat you?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

LonePaladin

• Chummer
  • Creator of HeroForge
« Reply #43 on: <04-29-11/1442:51> »
Yeah, I'm trying to keep away from the obvious stuff there. I'd considered the idea of incorporating some sort of auto-injector into a bladed weapon, to allow for the addition of things like MAO or Narcojet into an attack, but I'm not sure if that would be going overboard.

ᴖᴥᴖ

GeLrIrToCrH

• Newb
« Reply #44 on: <04-29-11/1541:01> »
In the realm of weapon mods, there is no such thing as overboard...