NEWS

Melee Weapon Modifications

• 84 Replies

LonePaladin

• Chummer
  • Creator of HeroForge
« on: <04-27-11/0642:45> »
While looking through Arsenal's rules on weapon modding, I realized that there are only a few mods that can be applied to melee weapons: custom look, gecko grip, and personalized grip. So, I thought I'd see about expanding this list a bit, see if I could come up with some useful items. (I'm aware that dikote has been essentially removed from the rules.)

Here goes. Nitpick, suggest other options, or run in a different direction, as you will.
  • Integrated Firearm: For the melee enthusiast who wants a sidearm always available, there's the option of incorporating a gun into the handle of a melee weapon. The firearm must have the Melee Hardening modification, and must be a pistol (light or heavy) or a taser. For modifying the gun, use the suggestions for under-barrel weapons in Arsenal, p. 153.
  • Mercurial: This modification, only available for larger melee weapons (those with a reach of 1 or more), involves reforging the weapon with a narrow, hollow channel throughout its length, with a reservoir set in the handle. The reservoir is filled with a dense fluid (typically mercury); when the weapon is swung with enough force, the fluid inside rapidly shifts down the channel, imparting additional kinetic energy and increasing the weapon's Damage Value by an amount equal to the weapon's Reach (larger weapons benefit more). [And, yes, this is partly inspired by another RPG -- in SR, however, this sort of thing is entirely possible.]
  • Monowire Edge: Available only for bladed weapons, this modification attaches a length of low-grade monofilament to the weapon's edge, improving its AP value by –1.
  • Spikes/Serrations: Sometimes, what matters most in hand-to-hand combat is dragging as much of your weapon as possible across the other guy. For those times, having extra surfaces specifically for snagging unprotected bits is the way to go. This modification gives blades a serrated edge, or adds spikes to the business end of a club. Taser-type clubs do not benefit from this modification, nor do blades with monowire. Serrations or spikes add +2 to the Damage Value, but worsen the AP value by +2.
  • Toxin Delivery: A weapon with this modification has a reservoir in the handle, which can contain ten doses of a drug or toxin. When the system is activated (a Simple Action), the damaging portion of the weapon becomes coated in the chemical. Clubs and other blunt weapons can only use toxins with a contact vector; blades and pointed weapons can use contact or injection toxins. The target of an attack is also subjected to a dose of the drug/toxin if the attacker inflicts any amount of Physical damage; if the drug/toxin has a contact vector, all that is required is a successful attack (even if all the damage is resisted, or is Stun damage due to armor). Reloading the reservoir is a Complex Action.

ModificationSlotsThresholdToolsCostAvailabilitySpecial Skill
Integrated Firearm
ShopAs firearm
As firearm
Mercurial
FacilityWeapon Reach × Weapon Cost × 2
Monowire Edge
Shop(Weapon Reach + 1) × 100
8R
Spikes/Serrations
KitWeapon Cost / 10
Toxin Delivery
KitWeapon Cost / 10
6R
« Last Edit: <05-25-11/1415:22> by LonePaladin »
"You can stop talking now.  Really.  Stop.  I have a Uzi."

ᴖᴥᴖ

Download my Matrix Card set:
https://sites.google.com/site/resonancerealms/

GeLrIrToCrH

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <04-27-11/0956:36> »
I like everything you're saying here  :D

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <04-27-11/1026:13> »
I realized that there are only a few mods that can be applied to melee weapons: custom look, gecko grip, and personalized grip.
And chameleon coating, easy breakdown, metahum customization, reduced weight, skinlink, lanyard, tracker and underbarrel weapon(witch kinda removes the need for that first mod in your post)
"An it harm none, do what you will"

LonePaladin

• Chummer
  • Creator of HeroForge
« Reply #3 on: <04-27-11/1111:14> »
Okay, chalk those up to "didn't see as useful" then. Though I really can't think of why someone would want a skinlink, and 'reduced weight' really has no benefit for a melee weapon. As for underbarrel weapons, yeah, I caught that -- just decided that it needed its own name, what with most melee weapons lacking a barrel and all.

One issue with Easy Breakdown, though: most melee weapons are designed to be a single piece of metal/wood/whatever, possibly with some attachments. If something is meant to be banged against something unyielding, involving multiple parts gives it weak points, risking it coming apart in use. (It would be like swinging a stack of Lego blocks against a table; it's bound to break up.) The rules don't actually address that, though, so it's one of those 'up to the GM' things I guess.

Still, thanks for spotting those. Carry on.

ᴖᴥᴖ

Sid

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <04-27-11/1208:49> »
LP, have you read The Book of the New Sun? :D (Gene Wolfe, 1980+)
I dare say it's the origin of mercurial weapons in fantasy / sci-fi / other, and a good read at that. Terminus Est (mercurial weapon of note) also had the drawback of not reacting well to high frequency sounds, and required greater strength to avoid overbalancing with the shifting weight.

*edit* for details
« Last Edit: <04-27-11/1527:54> by Sid »

John Shull

• Chummer
  • Predictablility kills
« Reply #5 on: <04-27-11/1227:39> »
I like having expert weapon making legend storylines.  Like when the Bride, Beatrix Kiddo, goes sword hunting in Japan in Kill Bill.  Weapons with a lineage and history make the story work better.  Some weapons are almost characters in themselves.   Sword in Ladyhawke was a family blade where all who carried took up a task or quest and put gems in pommel, grip, and crossguard upon completion.   
Opportunities multiply as they are seized.  --Sun Tzu

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <04-27-11/1427:08> »
Any gunsword or similar variants in SR is grounds for immediate random sniper headshot.

At least, that's how I feel on the subject.

However, taking two double-barrel shotguns and sticking them together ala Phantasm gets a big thumbs up!

LonePaladin

• Chummer
  • Creator of HeroForge
« Reply #7 on: <04-27-11/1433:50> »
Any gunsword or similar variants in SR is grounds for immediate random sniper headshot.
How about mounting a shotgun onto a spear?

ᴖᴥᴖ

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <04-27-11/1436:04> »
Roll Perception (120) to notice the glint off of the scope...

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <04-27-11/1535:04> »
Pitchfork Shotgun
FTW

ARCimedes

• Newb
  • /i\(;,;)/i\
« Reply #10 on: <04-27-11/1739:01> »

At least, that's how I feel on the subject.

However, taking two double-barrel shotguns and sticking them together ala Phantasm gets a big thumbs up!

Actually mounting a gun onto a sword was already done historically. I guess as firearm technology improved, though, they decided the sword was useless. Why bother with the sword when you can fire full auto on someone?

How about mounting a shotgun onto a spear?

Ah, a spear with a shotgun mounted on it, a la Kinkaid from the Harry Dresden series. It seemed to be most effective against hell hounds.
-ARCimedes

Are you sure you want a flame thrower?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #11 on: <04-27-11/1819:13> »
It's called a "Bayonet", people.  They're still issued today.  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #12 on: <04-27-11/1829:41> »
Yup.  The idea of attaching a blade to a gun (or vice versa) has been around since at least the 17th century.  Probably before that.

Simagal

• Chummer
  • Credo Quia Absurdum
« Reply #13 on: <04-27-11/1835:45> »
The whole gun with blade idea diminished with multi shot, rapid reload weapons. With the exception of the bayonet.
Andrew Grim

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #14 on: <04-27-11/1837:50> »
True.  Though I find it a fault of human imagination that the trend didn't return as soon as the chainsaw was invented.