NEWS

[6e] Toxin Extractor

• 2 Replies

Odsh

• Chummer
« on: <01-16-21/1443:08> »
The toxin extractor subtracts its rating from the threshold of Toxin Resistance tests.

The "Toxin Resistance test" is the Body + Willpower test to reduce the damage. And I assume that the "threshold" is in that case the damage itself.
So in other words, the toxin extractor acts like some kind of hardened armor against toxins?
For example, a Neuro-Stun X will inflict 9 damage instead of 15 to someone with a toxin extractor 6?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-16-21/1452:53> »
Hits on a toxin resistance test reduces the power of the toxin (see pg 121, SR6)

Technically there is no threshold given for a resistance test, but yes the reasonable intent is that the Power is a "sort of" threshold, and therefore a Toxin Extractor is just reducing the Power of the toxin.  As opposed to giving you bonus dice, which most things that help would do (for example, a respirator).

So yes, what's supposed to happen is a Rating 6 Toxin Extractor would give you no bonus dice, but reduce the power from X to X-6 before you have to make the test.  Note that per pg 121, if you manage to resist the Power entirely, there's not only no damage but no other effects via statuses.
« Last Edit: <01-16-21/1454:55> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Odsh

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <01-17-21/0532:12> »
Well then, its usefulness has certainly soared compared to its counterpart in previous editions (if my memory doesn't fail me).