NEWS

How many throwing stars do you get

• 7 Replies

Rated Lexxx

• Newb
« on: <08-14-20/2223:02> »
I am new to shadowrun and have Been trying to learn how to play with my friends which has been a bit daunting

I have been able to locate all my questions from the book except for this one which should have been obvious

When you buy throwing stars how many do you get one buy them

They are called throwing stars (plural) in the book and they seem expensive at 160 for 1 throwing star

Thanks in advance

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <08-15-20/0150:29> »
It may seem expensive, but I can't find any indication you get multiple at that price. On the other hand, these would actually be reusable if you retrieve them. Compared to Crossbows, where each throwing star equals 32 one-shot bolts, or for example Explosive Rifle Rounds at a 1:40 ratio, in the long run throwing weapons end up cheaper unless you repeatedly use them in fights you have to flee from.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <08-15-20/1820:02> »
If you compare the price of a knife on page 249 (20 nuyen) to the price of "throwing knives" on page 250 (155 nuyen), it seems obvious that you should get more than one. The usual rule for ammo is that you get ten for the list price (see page 262). So I'd give you ten throwing stars for your 160 nuyen (or ten throwing knives for 155).

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <08-15-20/2047:23> »
Knives are by far inferior Attack Rating wise, and can only be thrown 20m, vs 250m for Throwing Knives. So I definitely would not give you ten.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #4 on: <08-15-20/2214:23> »
My first 6e character is athletics based, so I feel the pain of that price.  But I accept it on two basis:
1)  it may be a skill balance decision.   Athletics covers a lot of territory,  so if throwing knives and starts are both pretty effective and cheap, it maybe makes it too appealing.  The price per at least doesn't make them dramatically cheaper than a light pistol solution.
2) they probably are not a high volume manufactured item.  They may well be machined rather than hand crafted, but they are not sold in the sort of volumes that bullets or less specialized blades are.  So the price may well be fairly high.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #5 on: <08-23-20/1238:48> »
My first 6e character is athletics based, so I feel the pain of that price.  But I accept it on two basis:
1)  it may be a skill balance decision.   Athletics covers a lot of territory,  so if throwing knives and starts are both pretty effective and cheap, it maybe makes it too appealing.  The price per at least doesn't make them dramatically cheaper than a light pistol solution.
2) they probably are not a high volume manufactured item.  They may well be machined rather than hand crafted, but they are not sold in the sort of volumes that bullets or less specialized blades are.  So the price may well be fairly high.

And they have to be balanced and weighted for throwing. You can't just grab a sheet of steel, cut out a "star", sharpen and throw...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

0B

• Chummer
  • Be seeing you
« Reply #6 on: <08-23-20/1300:02> »
It's a "gamism." It's true that you can get a set of throwing knives for about $20-$30 on amazon, and that combat knives (not thrown) cost anywhere between $20 - $100, possibly more depending on quality. I couldn't find any good examples of shuriken that weren't toys.

If the break from reality is too much, you should talk to your GM about it, perhaps you can come to a work around on getting cheaper throwing knives that are one-use only, or something along those lines. It would have to be a house rule, though.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #7 on: <08-23-20/1308:12> »
They do seem way overpriced. That said, have you considered bows instead? Even if you go with the awesomely OP nacroject/injection bolt they are still comparably priced to just a star per shot.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling