NEWS

Designing a SR website

• 25 Replies

John Schmidt

• Omae
« on: <09-09-10/0927:04> »
So I have Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash, blah, blah, blah... I going through the tutorials at Lynda.com for using Dreamweaver and Flash. Graphics and content are not a problem (unless people don't like them but I will cross that bridge when I get there).

What makes a good fan game website?

I know its rude to commandeer your speakers and blair my sounds over them.
Pages should be limited vertically and horizontally.

But what makes a good looking website?
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #1 on: <09-09-10/0938:22> »
If you can, avoid Flash. Go for HTML5. Also, avoid massive decorative use of graphics. Graphics should be used to set a theme and provide a frame for the content, not make it difficult to tell frame appart from content.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-09-10/0950:11> »
Why avoid Flash?

Graphics, I know can slow down a page loading. Is there a good rule of thumb for the total size for each webpage?
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-09-10/0958:40> »
You can't obtain platform independance if you use Flash. If your goal is to make the website accessable to the widest audience, Flash eliminates anybody using iOS (iPad iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad) for browsing. In addition, some people see Flash as a sign of lazyness. I don't, it's simply a tool to get something done.
« Last Edit: <09-09-10/1014:48> by PeterSmith »
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #4 on: <09-09-10/1005:41> »
Plus Flash eats performance like the economy eats the souls of the people.

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-09-10/1009:00> »
Ok, I don't want to eat anybodies performance (or their soul).  ;D

No Flash...check.

What do you like or would like to see from a fan based game site?

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #6 on: <09-09-10/1033:41> »
On this I can of course only speak for myself. I like mostly black and white themes, maybe put some green into it for the "Matrix" look, but don't overdo it on that. I like dark frames, but light backgrounds (white/light grey backgrounds, black text). I like easily accessable menues, not something were it goes "Main -> Shadowrun -> Runners Stuff -> Hardware -> Weapons -> Pistols -> Light PistAH FRAG IT *Alt+F4*. I like it when there is content where I click. If that means that there will not be much to click on, so be it, as long as the stuff I get when I click on something is well constructed.

Caine Hazen

• Global Moderator
  • Omae
  • Dumpshocker Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: <09-09-10/1215:58> »
Bah, iOS users shouldn't be allowed on the web ;D

Yeah, it depends on the audience, and what you want to share.  I honestly believe that as HTML5 comes along we'll be able to do what flash does without reliance on Adobe... right now however, if you want a "Matrix" look and feel Flash will serve you better.  But if you're not wanting to do that kinda interactivity, no reason that some good ol CSS will serve to give you a good look that's uniform over the site.

Figure out your content first (which I know should be the catalog you're working on) then you can think of the tools you have (CSS, FLASH, HTML) and how to use them to present your info.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat~DNA
SRGC 0.3: SR1 SR2 SR3 SR4++ h b+++ B--- D++ UB++ IE+ RN-- fnord DSF++++ W++++ hk+ ri++ m gm++ M--(+) P FP+

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #8 on: <09-09-10/1218:49> »
Bah, iOS users shouldn't be allowed on the web ;D

Yeah, it depends on the audience, and what you want to share.  I honestly believe that as HTML5 comes along we'll be able to do what flash does without reliance on Adobe... right now however, if you want a "Matrix" look and feel Flash will serve you better.  But if you're not wanting to do that kinda interactivity, no reason that some good ol CSS will serve to give you a good look that's uniform over the site.

Figure out your content first (which I know should be the catalog you're working on) then you can think of the tools you have (CSS, FLASH, HTML) and how to use them to present your info.
Not to mention that, short of movies and games, a little bit of Javascript with CSS will mimic a lot of Flash's capabilities.

Caine Hazen

• Global Moderator
  • Omae
  • Dumpshocker Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: <09-09-10/1222:40> »
grumblegrumblegrumble... don't get me started on JAVA...  :P

Bloody people not updating damn JAVA website creatin' more work for me everyday  >:(

Though he is right about that!
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat~DNA
SRGC 0.3: SR1 SR2 SR3 SR4++ h b+++ B--- D++ UB++ IE+ RN-- fnord DSF++++ W++++ hk+ ri++ m gm++ M--(+) P FP+

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <09-09-10/1228:10> »
It has been said that a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing...when it come to web design...I am a nuclear bomb.  ;D

This will be my very first website so we will see what I can come up with. I have been wanting to do this for years so it should be fun to see what I can come up with. (At the very least, worth a laugh or two!)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #11 on: <09-09-10/1238:58> »
If you need any help, drop me a line on email. (Anything where I can help a fellow designer and maybe get free advertising for my mad skillz.)

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <09-09-10/1305:53> »
I really appreciate that! There is alot of stuff to get a handle on. ;D

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #13 on: <09-09-10/1325:55> »
No problem! Glad to be of service.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <09-09-10/2343:31> »
Bah, iOS users shouldn't be allowed on the web

Yes, well, in my new role at work I am learning a valuable skill: "How to be nice to your customers." In my case, about a third of them have titles with M.D. somewhere in them.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015