NEWS

2050 Shadowrun PDF is out

• 64 Replies

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« on: <07-17-12/1510:37> »
So I picked it up and have rifled through it a couple time quickly. First glance and I feel so disappointed. I will run through the entire book and make sure I am not missing anything that I thought this book would contain. Hoping that I will retract this first reaction after looking more closely at the contents.  Have a great day Drew

Edit one: looked over the chapters of magic and matrix and I am impressed with these sections well written and stuff like grounding is back in the game.

The stuff that I am not happy with comes from PC creation guidelines. Or the lack of them:( there is a smallish paragraph that pretty much says use SR4a and there is no Technomancers. Nothing is said about Race types, qualities, if the starting funds are larger or not. Even when I am not playing I have always kept up with the game and it's story line. But there could be massive numbers of players and GM's only knowing about the current arc. So Joe or Jane smith could go about make a changeling street Sam and try to sit down at the game table. Where I would know that they came with the comet and restrict myself normally. This is information I feel should have been in the book.

Next negative review is on the gear section. I thought Bioware was harder to get and more expensive in 2050 then cyberware. Yet we have WR 3 for 500k and synaptic accelerators level 3 for 300k. And availability of 6R for the bio level 3 and 8R for the WR3. Supra thyroid is 5K more expensive at 50K and availability of 8F. 

My last and biggest disappointment is kind of my own fault. I thought when they dropped all those big named runners in the advertisements for this that there would be a write up and some stats for them. This Alone would have made it worth the price, but no. There is a little section in Seattle over view that says a little bit about these runners.

I wish I had not spent money on it. hope other players and GM's  can give me insights on this material that I am missing.
« Last Edit: <07-17-12/1558:14> by Frankie the Fomori »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <07-17-12/1552:51> »
Why?   :'(
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <07-17-12/1601:37> »
Sorry CanRay, wrote my review as an edit. I guess I could say see above. Have a great day, Drew

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <07-17-12/1728:28> »
Reading more of the product: first fiction is awesome. Gives you a perfect taste of a shadow team. Left me wanting to read more of this group:)

Love seeing the profezzer make some shadow talk. One of my favorit novels in SR is changeling.
« Last Edit: <07-17-12/1732:46> by Frankie the Fomori »

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <07-17-12/2217:11> »
I have figures out what bugs me about the cyber/bio sections of the gear page. They have imported the costs strait from SR1(at least the cyber, I do not have the book with Bio costs on my phone). This creates a massive disparity between magicians and adepts compared to other archetypes. Street Sam, deckers and riggers had a 1,000,000¥ to work with in 1st. Now we have the same costs for 1/4 of funds a PC can draw on. No where in the book addresses this issue. Can I get some feed back on how to adjust this? And if possible can somthing official be put out? Even the archetypes in the book have WR 2 (alpha) which would cost them 330,00¥ which is much more then a PC is allowed at Chgen!

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-17-12/2259:55> »
I have figures out what bugs me about the cyber/bio sections of the gear page. They have imported the costs strait from SR1(at least the cyber, I do not have the book with Bio costs on my phone). This creates a massive disparity between magicians and adepts compared to other archetypes. Street Sam, deckers and riggers had a 1,000,000¥ to work with in 1st. Now we have the same costs for 1/4 of funds a PC can draw on. No where in the book addresses this issue. Can I get some feed back on how to adjust this? And if possible can somthing official be put out? Even the archetypes in the book have WR 2 (alpha) which would cost them 330,00¥ which is much more then a PC is allowed at Chgen!

That's about the only issue I had with the book. I definitely feel that the prices should have been adjusted to compensate for the lowered amount of resources that can be acquired in creation. I was kinda scandalized by the cyberdeck prices (it's been a while and I'd forgotten just how obscene those prices were).
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <07-18-12/0100:04> »
Honestly? If I were to do something set then, I would "fix" it by making each BP worth 20K nuyen. You are right, there
should have been something saying that, and listing which qualities would be inappropriate for this time frame.

Things I liked on my initial run through: Grounding in, and even a discussion on why it went away. Old School Matrix topology
explained, Shamans get Mentor Spirit free, and so many Shadowtalkers I remember from the day getting to speak again.

The big thing I don't like? They didn't try and take the old 1st and 2nd Edition concept art and redo it in the modern
style. Now, I can sort of understand that, as, frankly, the 1st and 2nd Editions were decidedly more Human-centric
as opposed to Meta-centric, and there were no ork or troll archetypes. However, I would rather have seen an update
in the look of the 2nd Edition Former Wage Mage then the orkess they gave us as her in this version. I do, however, like
the change to the Detective. I am also disappointed in the archetypes they did that did not have art. I would also have
appreciated if they had put the BP allocation like they did in SR4A. Other nit-pick is that the shadowtalk did not have
time/date stamps. This made The Smiling Bandit less special, as he didn't have his time/date stamp replaced. :(

While it may seem that, given my larger text block of what I didn't like, that I have a negative impression on the book.
However, overall, I liked it. My only complaints are really nit-picks(like Synaptic Accelerator basicly being Synaptic Booster,
and Boosted Reflexes not being compatible with it). My assessment is that some sections seemed rushed(like the
very loose chargen guidelines).

So, I give it a positive: 7/10 shot up lone star cars

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <07-18-12/0103:41> »
Well, to be fair, Boosted Reflexes were never compatible with anything, and they even prevented one from ever being able to get Wired Reflexes and above back in the day. It appears the latter has been removed, so there's an improvement to that one.

As for Grounding, I think I'm gonna ignore the discussion on why it went away and incorporate it in the future.

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #8 on: <07-18-12/0112:27> »
As for Grounding, I think I'm gonna ignore the discussion on why it went away and incorporate it in the future.

I'm going to do the same. When I get a DTF book to read that is.

Also. Are domains back for spirits? Because I will SO port that back in too. Universal Magic theory my ass.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <07-18-12/0159:37> »
Oh yeah, I know that I'll be incorporating the new Dikote stuff into future games no matter what time frame I set them in.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #10 on: <07-18-12/0559:37> »
Reading through the Chicago section now. I know it is set in 2050, but the insect analogies in the 'Labor-hoods' section makes me twinge a bit. And later on, talking about the Spire, and you see this comment:
> There’s something weird on the upper floors. I swear I’ve seen things flying
to and from the tip of the screw.
> EyeSpire
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #11 on: <07-18-12/0729:26> »
Also. Are domains back for spirits? Because I will SO port that back in too. Universal Magic theory my ass.
Yup.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #12 on: <07-18-12/0858:07> »
The stuff that I am not happy with comes from PC creation guidelines. Or the lack of them:( there is a smallish paragraph that pretty much says use SR4a and there is no Technomancers. Nothing is said about Race types, qualities, if the starting funds are larger or not. Even when I am not playing I have always kept up with the game and it's story line. But there could be massive numbers of players and GM's only knowing about the current arc. So Joe or Jane smith could go about make a changeling street Sam and try to sit down at the game table. Where I would know that they came with the comet and restrict myself normally. This is information I feel should have been in the book.
Dunno. Applying the SR4a sourcebooks to this directly would be troublesome at best, and last time i checked changelings and such are not in SR4a directly.
Want to see my flash new jacket?

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <07-18-12/0914:22> »
Dunno. Applying the SR4a sourcebooks to this directly would be troublesome at best, and last time i checked changelings and such are not in SR4a directly.

Runner's Companion, though you are correct that they are not in the SR4A BBB.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <07-18-12/0942:26> »
Reading through the Chicago section now. I know it is set in 2050, but the insect analogies in the 'Labor-hoods' section makes me twinge a bit. And later on, talking about the Spire, and you see this comment:
> There’s something weird on the upper floors. I swear I’ve seen things flying
to and from the tip of the screw.
> EyeSpire

I have to say, the bit at the end with a missing runner and his ally, then, "No, I'm fine, just lost contact for a while. Wheels went somewhere else to find work." ... I had to cackle.