NEWS

Need Advice. *New Player*

• 18 Replies

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <11-18-12/1513:17> »
Going to agree with what was said before:
1 Rea means you'll act last and won't be able to dodge, while the 1 body means you won't be able to wear armor or have the health to take a bullet. I'd STRONGLY recommend increasing both. My Face has 1 Str too because of a whole "I usually can get other people carry my things" mindset, which probably suits your character too.

This I can agree with, but I'd rather not tell people what stats to take since that is highly individual per character. Personally, being at least average in the 'non archetype' stats would be my preference, though.

Ignoring the issue of "elves weren't born before 2011 so you can't be older than 61", there's a second problem with that age:
I don't see how "bred by a megacorp" and "born in 1960" would work together. The first implying the use of technology which was was not available in that time and the fact that actual megacorps as known in SR didn't exist yet.

Could be a problem, but it would only be a slight tweak of wording to go from "bred to lead a megacorp" to "bred to lead what would become a megacorp". :D

For the rest, you're definitely going to want the Social Skillgroup. Best weapons for a face, if you ask me, are pistols. Easily concealable and often carrying a taser (uses pistol skill) may be allowed in areas where pistols aren't.

Some Perception might be nice. It is after all a very general skill useful for everyone. Couldn't really see Dodge as being a good skill here since I'm assuming the character wouldn't be heavily combative.

Mechanically I do worry about the low physical attributes, especially the Body and Reaction. The double jointed quality also seems strange for a character with an Agility as low as this one.

Meh, I kind of look at that as just a flavor thing. After all, I'm not that agile, and I am a bit double jointed (much less than I used to be...damn age catching up to me).
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Twitchy D

• Omae
  • Paranoia is a survival trait.
« Reply #16 on: <11-18-12/1518:09> »
Hell, if you feel like changing the history a bit, you could always say that a couple groups of people had gone under a sort of "elfinization" or "dwarvinization" during the birth of the sixth world. It's all up to what you and your GM feel like what would make a good plotline for a campaign.

...just a suggestion... :-[

SarahConnor

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <11-18-12/1552:38> »
Awesome. This is exactly what I wanted. I appreciate all the feedback. I'm going to take the Face build and tweak it with the advice I've read here. I'm going to change out those ones and make them twos or threes based on what you guys have suggested. I'll probably have a little combat abilities sprinkled on so I won't die all the time.

When it comes to the backstory that was just a brief outline.  I'm thinking of changing it. While she was bred to be this all powerful leader, she was born a physical disaster (for the most part) and cast out. She retained a great corporate mind and charisma, but was born with a poor immune system and freakish deformities (the double jointed ability). Quick Healer is out because it makes no sense.

Also, the GM for my group isn't going to be a dictator when it comes to following the timeline. It's less of following someone else's world and more of forming our own.

Again, thanks for taking the time out to help me out. It's much appreciated.

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #18 on: <11-18-12/1559:32> »
Yeah, I wouldn't ever advise having a BOD of less than 3, but then again I come from a table where there's a 95% chance of at least some combat every session. Even if it's just an unexpected bar-fight or a burglar in your pad, you can't always keep yourself out of the way of danger (especially if you have a BOD of 1, it's your GMs job to bring it to you and make sure you know WHY a 1 BOD is a weakness). Weaknesses are meant to be weaknesses and a 1 BOD is a MASSIVE weakness.

On the same note, I'd probably never have a reaction of less than 3 either - even if you're not combat focused, getting caught with your pants around your ankles will just make it infinitely worse. 1 STR you can deal with (especially if you slap on a couple levels of muscle augs), otherwise just pray you don't ever have to drag your teammate's unconscious body out of the line of fire. IMHO, agility - even for a non-combat oriented character - is one of the most important attributes in the game (again I come from what might be a combat heavy table), because even if you don't need a decent AGI for being the truest of shots, you will probably then want it to keep yourself hidden or use other discreet actions, etc. when the lead starts to fly. If you're trying to squeeze points out of attribute allocation, maybe drop LOG by 1 unless you have some plans for utilizing it? I'm not a fan of investing a lot in EDG, so this would also be a good spot to save BP, IMO.

Regarding skills, I wholeheartedly second Glyph's recommendations. Influence Group, Pistols (they're discreet), Dodge, Perception and Stealth skills. A stealth skill-set doesn't seem contradictory to your concept to me. If one loses their traditional tools of power, ya gotta do what you can, and the easiest place to start could very well be from a covert approach. Knowledge skills should pick themselves for you, Business/Corporate skills/knowledge, Languages, etc.

Regarding Qualities, Double Jointed is a pretty niche application and I wouldn't advise it, also I think you're missing out on some NQs that can provide hooks that are custom made for backgrounds like yours, with the whole "lost glory" and "driven to reclaim it" background. If you know you aren't going to take any cyberware, Sensitive System is great (like if you're gonna be a Adept), but if you're not gonna be an Adept you may want to ditch that - as 'ware is key for a mundane. Some recommended bioware for if you are an Adept and keep Sensitive System would be Tailored Pheromones and Muscle Toner. Other gear to save up for; get tricked out Vision Enhancement contacts and glasses, and Audio Enhancement earbuds. Armor will depend on where your BOD ends up.

Edit: Guess I was typing too slow on this one, 7 ninjas! Dang.
« Last Edit: <11-18-12/1602:37> by emsquared »