NEWS

When does the 6e NDA expire?

• 47 Replies

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <08-03-19/1005:18> »
On phone so don’t want to try and cut and paste a bunch. Fin, a realistic DV for grenades would be far far less than listed. Grenades have a relatively low causality rate out a of a couple meters. If you drop prone and are a few meters out you have a high chance of escaping without any injury. Hell even at point blank range I expect there death rate is lower than getting hit by a heavy machine gun on auto fire. They are basically a well designed pipe bombs not mini nukes. So whether realism or game balance the grenade damages don’t work for me.

adzling

« Reply #31 on: <08-03-19/1007:09> »
Yeah weapon grabbing tile is not a good thin in my book. And it’s far too easy as written.

Those looking for rules info may have a better time on the reddit sub.

Seems to be a lot of folks working through it there.

Warning: the shit is hitting the fan right now.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <08-03-19/1031:54> »
The more I think about the disarm thing I have 3 issues.

1. All combat tests should be opposed outside initial surprise. I even thought the whole no defense test when shooting someone on the other side of a wall thing was bad. If they are in combat they are moving defensively. You don’t actually dodge bullets just make yourself a hard target which you are still doing on that side of a wall

2. It sounds too easy

3. Mechanically it doesn’t work to motivate high strength. Once your strength is high enough the test isn’t easy you’d be switching towards unarmed combat anyways. So basically it sounds like another reason not to use strength unless a unarmed combatant.

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <08-03-19/1035:54> »
On phone so don’t want to try and cut and paste a bunch. Fin, a realistic DV for grenades would be far far less than listed. Grenades have a relatively low causality rate out a of a couple meters. If you drop prone and are a few meters out you have a high chance of escaping without any injury. Hell even at point blank range I expect there death rate is lower than getting hit by a heavy machine gun on auto fire. They are basically a well designed pipe bombs not mini nukes. So whether realism or game balance the grenade damages don’t work for me.

I respectfully disagree, but I also don´t think that grenade lethality should be 100% realistic, for gameplay issues. The fact that you have a turn-bases system alone turns a realistic lethality into a huge balancing problem. True: In reality, standing near to an exploding grenade will incapitate* you. But in reality, you will also shout out GRENADE and yeet yourself behind the next cover the second you see one popping up. You won´t stand there until its your turn because you "already used your move Action."

*That´s a distinction worth noting here. With Overflow being buffed to Body*2, even Grenades at ground zero will likely not insta-kill you.   

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <08-03-19/1158:58> »
I’ll drop any realism arguments for this then

Remember this is on a scale of anti material rifles doing 7 maybe 8dv base. 16 or even 12 doesn’t make sense. Game play wise it’s just unsatisfying to not get a defense test and you can justify net hits increasing damage on grenades just to represent the somewhat random spread of projectiles or net hits on defense to represent less damage. Figure out how effective compared to other weapon attacks you want them to be make that the on target damage base reduce damage in each band out. Standard attack and defense test incorporate scatter even if it misses you potentially take some damage. 

My suggestion somewhere on these forums was 1/2 the damages. Attack vs defense test. Roll scatter. Gross hits va scatter to see if on target. Net hits increase damage, wash base damage, a miss or more hits on defense test than attack test indicate effectively one range band out and take base that damage. 8 for on target is still more than a assault canon, 6 for close is sniper rifle range, 4 farthest range is heavy pistol lethality. Seems reasonable.

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #35 on: <08-03-19/1320:50> »
On the role of strength in armed melee combat: as MC mentioned your strength sets the threshold for an unopposed conditional test to simply take your weapon away from you.
That’s not a positive to me. Outside of surprise no combat actions should be unopposed.
Well, an opposed test versus the target's Strength would be much more difficult than the attacker than using the Strength as a threshold, no?

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <08-03-19/1347:48> »
On the role of strength in armed melee combat: as MC mentioned your strength sets the threshold for an unopposed conditional test to simply take your weapon away from you.
That’s not a positive to me. Outside of surprise no combat actions should be unopposed.
Well, an opposed test versus the target's Strength would be much more difficult than the attacker than using the Strength as a threshold, no?

The opposed test should be vs there combat skill pool with strength still as a threshold. Disarming someone should be really hard. Maybe with edge just the opposed test or 1/2 strength as the new threshold.

penllawen

• Omae
« Reply #37 on: <08-03-19/1526:58> »
You could houserule it as an Edge use?

penllawen

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <08-03-19/1541:23> »
To reiterate: thanks again MC for this reply.

> role of Strength for melee characters?
...snip...
So this, for me at least, negates the "strength is a dump stat" meme that was going around.

Was another hunch of mine correct? Do (some?) melee weapons have a Strength minimum to use? Can you share a couple of example damage stats / min strengths (if that is a thing)? I'm curious how it scales relative to unarmed and ranged combat. I was wondering if there any that beat str/2 scaling, so do more damage that unarmed.

And yes, if your Unarmed Combat Damage is heavy, e.g. 8 for an X(11) bone-augmented Troll, then using any sort of weapon will mean you do less damage. Because even the Panther XXL only does 7P base.
Couple of things I see here:

Unarmed doing more damage than Panther - mechanically, I think that's Ok from a risk/reward standpoint. Melee is higher risk, so higher reward is reasonable. In fluff terms, I think it can be explained by an unarmed combat attack covering more than one actual blow (which is how I've always described it anyway), so it might be a half dozen blows in a combo from someone who can bench press a medium sized car. Which would certainly hurt.

Unarmed vs armed is a bit stranger to me, mechanically, I think; the fact that Troll characters might (I guess?) do more damage if they drop their claymore or sledge, assuming they have physical unarmed damage (cyberarms or bone lacing.) Seems off-putting.

Although I've made an assumption -- do augs and knucks still change unarmed damage to physical? That'd make this look different, if that's changed and unarmed is always stun damage.

What's the racial max strength for orcs and trolls, out of interest?

Armor has a Defense Boost and Capacity for mods. Hardened Armor gives autohits equal to its rating, which is being discussed regarding game balance but fell outside of the scope of Hotfix errata.
Gotcha. Is there hardened personal armou? Security armour or full-body or stuff? Or is it like 5e and just critters and vehicles?

- You can earn 2 Edge max per Round
Hmm. Still not sure how I feel about the "clipping" effect here, where a lot of stuff the PC does right won't count because they've already hit the cap... but I suspect fiddling with it will be a drastic change. Hmm hmm hmm.

- You can spend Edge once per Action
- When spending Edge, you can use a boost multiple times, e.g. spend 3 Edge to reroll 3 of your opponent's dice
Cool, I think these sound good.

> action economy
Drugs, spells, adept powers, augmentations all still exist. HotSim got nerfed to 3d6 Initiative, meaning Matrix people face a tough choice between 2 Majors and 1 Major with 4 Minors.
Ooooh, interesting. That probably feels like it buffs wired samurai / physads, too, comparatively? As they can get significantly higher than that. I like that.

There are a lot of Minor Actions. Plenty of useful ones. As to what you consider useful, I have no idea. Some people will complain, others will love the toybox.
Some of the ones I've seen in the errata and others have mentioned sound intriguing. It certainly sounds like there's a wider variety than there are for simple actions in 5e.

My primary interest here is the calculation for samurais to make between a second attack or a range of minor actions. My hunch, it's desirable that there's enough minors to make that an interesting decision and not a matter of "well obviously I shoot twice, same as last time." Sounds like that's true?

> NPCs and Edge
They earn it the same way anyone else does. An entire set of Enemies may spend Edge only once per turn. So if you face 8 gangbangers and they split into 2 groups of 4 when attacking you, these two groups combined can spend Edge exactly once per turn.
Seems reasonable.

The initial Edge value equals the Professional Rating, which ranges from 0 to 10. If you have a Prime Runner, they are like players so with individual Edge stats and gain individually as well. On top of that, a Prime Runner can freely steal Edge from his Professional Rating Grunt minions.
So, broadly, the big boys are laden with Edge? Again, seems reasonable.

> number of skills?
19. And plenty of skills you'll never touch, of course.
This is maybe, in some ways, the most radical change? Of course you still have knowledge skills on top of that (which I think I read are cheaper now? As they don't have ratings?)

The complaint I've seen expressed is characters might feel similar to each other due to reduced numbers of skills to pick from. Not sure I buy that. But I'd want to generate a few and see how they look. I think you have to look at this across the whole chargen system, including all the priorities and the point values across the categories.

Riggers and deckers feel like they benefit a lot from this. They were under pretty severe skills crunch in 5e, to my mind. It was very difficult to cover even some of the bases without care.

> chargen priority E to Attributes
"Trap" is a leading phrase.
Aye, the scare quotes where because I didn't agree with the argument that went on.

Posts were VERY clear about it: There's builds possible with it that some people may consider viable. Personal preferences heavily apply. As for baseline human stat: That is not named. But only at PR 3+ do you get above average 2.125, Thugs-Gangers are all average 1.875-2.125, so pretty much 2 as baseline.
Fair. I wrote this question done before the thread the other day, but it was well-covered there. Should have deleted it.

> what does a Vehicle Control Rig do now?
Lets you jump in. Gives you a dicepool bonus to all jumped-in action stuff. Gives you a point of Edge on that shit. Exact details are in the book.
Ok, I was wondering if the Edge had replaced the dice pool bonus. Riggers getting more buffs is A-OK by me. I love riggers.

> lethality, relative and absolute
Leading question. A Troll can at max reach Panther damage. As for one-shot-kills: I'm not pulling out statistics when everyone can run math. If you want super-lethality, play with "Here comes the Reaper" rules.
So I ment this as "comparing 5e to 6e" and it's really just out of interest. I don't have a strong opinion if more or less lethality is better or worse. I think it's a matter of taste and play style, and likely wants tweaking at each GM's table anyway.

I might write a little combat sim program to run some calculations comparing 5e and 6e, just so I feel like I understand the delta between the two versions.

> is vehicle damage/repair still very expensive?
No costs are described, so up to the GM what the "needed parts" will cost you. It's simply a really lengthy process if the damage is massive: Damage-type modifies the interval, NOT the threshold.
Sounds good. I think 5e's repair costs are pretty punitive. I know that's commonly house ruled.

> grenades/explosive - anything to mitigate what looks like very high lethality?
Don't run around like crazy so you can still run around, or simply involve any kind of tactical moves that will prevent you from being torn apart by grenades.
ie. keep Minor Actions in reserve so you can use dodge-style actions? Ok, I still think those damage codes look very high (shades of 2e's full-on chunky salsa rule) but I can see that.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #39 on: <08-03-19/1632:38> »
No minimum Strength for other weapons, though I can imagine some would like that rule (I'd probably base the restriction on AR or DV). A Knife is 2P, a combat axe 5P, everything else melee is inbetween. Pistols are 2P~3P, rifles are 4P~5P except the Barrett which is 6P. The Panther XXL is officially a Machine Gun so I'd personally label it a Heavy Machine Gun (so 5+ Strength required).

Dwarves 8 (edit: whups, wrote down their max Body by accident), Orks (remember, the only O.R.C. in Shadowrun is the Orks Rights Committee) 8, Trolls go to 9.

In CRB, only Dracoforms and Materialized Spirits have Hardened Armor. Well, that and Sharks. I'm going to assume that's a typo... -,- Though I for one welcome our new finned overlords.

I agree with the 2 Edge per Round being little. It's more gritty, but I imagine some tables will go with 2 per Action (or the 'spend it immediately and it doesn't count for the limit', making saving up still slowish but allowing you to bang-bang) for more dramatic rule-of-cool gameplay.

Knowledge skills are cheap as hell, yes. Under the suggested training times, they're 1 month and 3 karma. Their effect is allowing you to do specific skill checks related to the knowledge. For example, a normal player would roll Perception to realise those orks over there seem to wear Gang colors. A player with "Seattle Gangs" Knowledge skill might roll the same Perception check but instead realise that's the Crimson Crush and what the heck are THOSE doing in this neighbourhood?!

Riggers now get to both fire and repair with the same skill, so they definitely got a big boost here. Deckers just need 2 skills, so a Degger will need 3 skills and go full-mental attribute-wise.

As for math: A default decently-augmented Street Sam rolled like 23 dice in SR5, and would roll like 8 here? 8P base from a Predator in SR5, 3P here, 15 soak dice less, so that sample scenario would be quite comparable, and you'd have less variation in your Damage-soak roll so the damage output is more stable. Downside of that is of course also less chance of not taking any damage at all.

Under RAW, you can only evade a grenade if you didn't move at all. I think I'd allow it once after you moved and 2x~3x if you hadn't moved. Definitely space for figuring out some nice flexible system if a game ever turns grenade-heavy. And yeah, it's extremely tempting to nerf the DVs, though on the other hand grenades don't get bonus damage from net hits. I think the best anti-grenade system would be allowing the group to spend some combined Edge points to reroll hits and force the grenades to scatter. Definitely something to look into, once the game has been played a bit more.
« Last Edit: <08-03-19/1708:58> by Michael Chandra »
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #40 on: <08-03-19/1813:59> »
The whole choice to make str completely useless and then put a str requirement on gear forcing players to invest in a useless attribute. It's pointlessly punishing and it completely the opposite of simplification. It's just another example of 6e punishing players totally arbitrarily.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

adzling

« Reply #41 on: <08-03-19/1819:10> »
Let’s face it 6e has badly missed the mark (to put it mildly).

Check out reddit for the deets.

dezmont

• Chummer
« Reply #42 on: <08-05-19/0016:16> »
Not super sure how I feel about the reddit being pushed as a place to get 'deep in the paint' as it were in terms of image but yes there are a lot of people talking and discussing things. Reddit is after all a site literally designed to make it easy for topics to be discussed in depth with tangents being easily contained and tracked.

Singularity

• Chummer
« Reply #43 on: <08-05-19/0145:19> »

Standard reliable casualty radius for the US Army's hand grenade is 15m, but it's important to note that a lot of militaries have two types of explosive grenades (not counting WP): Defensive and offensive. Defensive grenades have a higher explosive charge/blast radius, as they are meant to be used from cover (foxhole, bunker, etc.); they have an explosive blast radius that is generally greater than the distance a standard person can throw them. Offensive grenades are like the M67 hand grenade; they are meant to be used in general, including when not in a prepared position, and thus have a reduced explosive charge (hence the 15m reliable casualty radius).

The physics of an explosion get really 'wibbly, wobbly, wonky' (to paraphrase Dr. Who); you can have a body five meters away from an explosion dead, but without a mark on it, while 7m past that can be another body that is torn apart. A person can have a grenade land right next to them and survive, and then have the same grenade fall in the same identical way and have them blown apart. I'm sure the are a bunch of physics equations that try to explain this, but I'll stick with explosions are all 'wibbly, wobbly, wonky.' The point is that grenades are deadlier than you are making them out to be. If a grenade explodes a couple of meters away, expect to be dead (not factoring in their crazy physics, of course).

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #44 on: <08-05-19/0727:14> »
Minor correction: It's still 3+ Strength for a Medium Machine Gun, errata simply clarify that Gyromount modifies Medium/Heavy requirements to 2+/4+ instead.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!