NEWS

SR5 Image/Soundlink

• 21 Replies

Hanzo

• Newb
« on: <11-19-20/0801:28> »
Hi there, chummers!

I've been thinking about Image/Soundlink recently. As this feature helps to see AROWs and other Matrix objects then it must be turned wireless on on different devices like 24/7. This puts Cybereye/ears at risk of beeing bricked by enemy decker.

Do I understand correct that Cydereye/ears, contacts, glasses, goggles, earbuds, headphones are at risk when they work if they have Image/Soundlink ?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <11-19-20/0901:12> »
All audio/visual devices are vulnerable to hacking if they're matrix-active. So yes, someone can brick cybereyes. I mean, if your cyberarm is wireless, it can be bricked too.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Hanzo

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <11-19-20/1008:05> »
All audio/visual devices are vulnerable to hacking if they're matrix-active. So yes, someone can brick cybereyes. I mean, if your cyberarm is wireless, it can be bricked too.

That really makes all the components of all the cyberlimbs as risky as hell, though providing little bonuses unless you make really huge amounts of investments! Cause if you have a cyberlegs with Hydraulic Jacks and other componenets that benefit from wirreless enabled an enemy decker can grill your legs and your party Sammy in a second turns into the disabled party Sammy. I like to think that everu single component of your leg - is a separate system module, that can be bricked, but you will still have your leg safe and sound.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-19-20/1341:44> »
Get a datajack.

That way you don't need additional devices such as image links or earbuds etc.

Hanzo

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <11-24-20/0315:20> »
Get a datajack.

That way you don't need additional devices such as image links or earbuds etc.

But I still also need a commlink to get image/sound links, needn't I?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-24-20/1958:32> »
You need to also have some sort of access the matrix yes. This is typically done by using a commlik. But riggers often use a RCC instead. And deckers use a cyberdeck. And technomancers have a deviceless living persona.

But as long as you are accessing the matrix and have DNI (which you get by wearing trodes or by implanting a datajack, control rig, commlink or cyberdeck) you will experience AR directly in your mind. No other devices such as AR gloves, image links, earbuds etc are needed. Just keep your commlink with you at all times and you will be good to go :-)

To experience VR (and BTL) you also need a sim module. Commlinks does not come with one default (unless they are implanted), but they can be modded with one. RCC also don't come with a sim module, but lucky for riggers the control rig implant do. Cyberdecks come automatically with a sim module (it is even modded for hot-sim by default, this is otherwise an illegal mod for your commlink).

If you have a both DNI and a sim module then you can also even experience smell and taste in AR, not just seeing, hearing and feeling.
« Last Edit: <11-24-20/2003:43> by Xenon »

Hanzo

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <11-25-20/0245:48> »
Thanks for the idea with the DNI!

In the first hand I was wondering not about how to get Image/Sound link, but if those mods (as well as all other mods for cybernetic aymentations like cyberhands, cyberears, cybereyes) put the augmentation itself at risk of complete bricking.

Fo instance Basic cybereye system comes with the Imagelink mod. I can turn in off and on. If a decker see its icon in the Matrix, will brick only the mod, will he put down my entire cybereyes system?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <11-25-20/1327:07> »
Accessories typically share the same icon as the device they are part of.

Note that your cybereyes are connected via your nervous system (not to be confused with DNI). No wireless connection is normally needed. Unless your augmentation provide you with a wireless bonus that you need (in the case of cybereyes perhaps a smartlink accessory if you want to get a positive dice pool modifier while firing your smartgun).

Also.... If you have an Internal Router then you will still benefit from the wireless bonus even though your augmentation is wireless disabled.

Hanzo

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <11-26-20/0108:51> »
Wow ! I've completely forgotten about the Internal Router ! Thanks for the tips !

RickDeckard

• Chummer
  • It can't rain all the time.
« Reply #9 on: <12-21-20/0837:09> »
Accessories typically share the same icon as the device they are part of.

Note that your cybereyes are connected via your nervous system (not to be confused with DNI). No wireless connection is normally needed. Unless your augmentation provide you with a wireless bonus that you need (in the case of cybereyes perhaps a smartlink accessory if you want to get a positive dice pool modifier while firing your smartgun).

Also.... If you have an Internal Router then you will still benefit from the wireless bonus even though your augmentation is wireless disabled.

I've yet to see a clear definition of how the Internal Router actually works. Has it been errata'ed, or is there an official clarification somewhere?

RickDeckard

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <12-21-20/0839:14> »
Thanks for the idea with the DNI!

In the first hand I was wondering not about how to get Image/Sound link, but if those mods (as well as all other mods for cybernetic aymentations like cyberhands, cyberears, cybereyes) put the augmentation itself at risk of complete bricking.

Fo instance Basic cybereye system comes with the Imagelink mod. I can turn in off and on. If a decker see its icon in the Matrix, will brick only the mod, will he put down my entire cybereyes system?

I'd say that's up to the Decker. If he's an opponent and trying to take you out of the game he would take out your entire eye system, but if he's just playing around maybe he'd settle for your Image Link. Difficulty is the same as they're both protected by your comm or cyberdeck firewall.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <12-21-20/1811:16> »
I've yet to see a clear definition of how the Internal Router actually works.
What do you feel is unclear with it...?

RickDeckard

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <12-22-20/0439:40> »
I've yet to see a clear definition of how the Internal Router actually works.
What do you feel is unclear with it...?

I don't think it makes sense that you can run all your ware and gear on wireless and get wireless bonuses without actually being connected to the Matrix. So you run your own wireless network that can't be hacked because you're not on the Matrix, great. But where does all your cyberware and gear get their input from to provide those wireless bonuses?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <12-22-20/0709:10> »
where does all your cyberware and gear get their input from to provide those wireless bonuses?
The internal router is connected to the matrix. It act as a router or proxy for your internal cyberware.
This is an explicit exception to the blanket rule that devices typically need to be connected to the matrix themselves.

Your internal cyberware are in turn connected to your internal router via your nervous system via neural interface (not to be confused with DNI).

While internal cyberware (like wired reflexes+reflex enhancers or your smarteyes etc) does not have to be wireless enabled your external devices (for example the smartgun in our smartgun system) still need to be wireless enabled.

Cyberware that are not directly connected to your nervous system (for example an Ocular drone that you disconnected from your eye socket) also still need to be wireless enabled.
« Last Edit: <12-23-20/1621:38> by Xenon »

RickDeckard

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <12-22-20/1253:48> »
So then a Decker just targets your internal router and shuts everything down with it?