NEWS

[SR6] Implanted Cyberdecks in Limbs?

• 7 Replies

MercilessMing

• Omae
« on: <10-15-20/1530:37> »
I thought this may have been covered before but I couldn't find it - forum search is not great.  Previous editions allowed you to implant a cyberdeck in your arm.  Are there any official rulings on what gear can go where in this edition?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-15-20/1923:32> »
While not explicitly spelled out in 6th editions, augmentations that have a Capacity Cost [in brackets] may typically be installed in cyberlimbs instead, costing Capacity rather than Essence.

Since it is not spelled out I guess you can also rule that the only cyberlimb that headware augmentations that have a Capacity Cost [in brackets] may be installed in is the cyber skull (but if the intention really was to change this from previous editions I would assume that they would mention something about it...)

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <10-16-20/1410:13> »
That is the interpretation that the Genesis character creator seems to be taking in their current version, which is what prompted the question.  Fitting a cyberdeck in an obvious cyberskull is the only way in that creator to get your super expensive piece of hardware 50% off for maximum used-grade cyber cheese.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <10-16-20/1415:59> »
That is the interpretation that the Genesis character creator seems to be taking in their current version, which is what prompted the question.  Fitting a cyberdeck in an obvious cyberskull is the only way in that creator to get your super expensive piece of hardware 50% off for maximum used-grade cyber cheese.

You should never be getting the cyberdeck itself in grades.  If you get a used-grade implanted cyberdeck, the chunk that costs 5,000=Y= is what gets discounted.  If you put a Fairlight Excalibur inside a used implanted cyberdeck, the Fairlight Excalibur still costs full price.  No matter which part of the body (or which cyberlimb) the mount is located.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Robert

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <10-16-20/1417:14> »
Question to the Errata Team:

When I get a Cyberware Cyberdeck implant, the Cost is 5.000 + Cost of the Cyberdeck
When I get a USED Cyberware Cyberdeck implant, is the Cost
A) (5.000 + Cost of Cyberdeck) /2 or
B) (5.000)/2 + Cost of Cyberdeck ?

Thanks.

Ah, SSDR was faster :-)

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-16-20/1429:08> »
Yep.  It's 1000% supposed to be B.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <10-16-20/1455:03> »
How are readers supposed to know that, other than the fact that it's a huge exploit though?

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <10-16-20/1501:43> »
How are readers supposed to know that, other than the fact that it's a huge exploit though?

Well, the "C'Mon, man" factor should suffice for the vast majority of readers.  But yes, if I could wave a magic wand I'd want it more explicit, too.