NEWS

Proofreading: Any plans to fix the problem?

• 147 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #135 on: <12-04-12/1051:28> »
Please be nice to the Freelancers as well.  We have sensitive feelings.    :-[
Get back in your cage, scum!

;)

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #136 on: <12-04-12/1236:21> »
If you have a question for the developers, please ask in a respectful tone.

I realize updates and errata are an outstanding issue, but being disrespectful to the developers is not a way to get them motivated.

Respect is mutual relationship, IMO. Works the same way as trust.
That said, I admit I was sarcastic.
Dev team has such a dedicated defender. I have only sarcasm left.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #137 on: <12-04-12/2238:32> »

Eh...the proof reading has gotten better. There are far fewer instances where it takes 3-4 reads through to
figure out what words are missing, which ones are added, or other funky issues. Yes, there are still things
that make it through. Then again, in novels I have been reading recently, I have noticed typoes, horrible
gramatical errors, etc that slipped past their editors. I have seen issues like that in Palladium, White Wolf,
and Pathfinder books as well. It is NOT something that just happens with CGL. Heck, the new Chaos Marines
Codex from Games Workshop has some weird wording make it through. I consider, though, that CGL has gotten
better over the last year, over all, not just with Shadowrun.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #138 on: <12-04-12/2300:04> »

I realize updates and errata are an outstanding issue, but being disrespectful to the developers is not a way to get them motivated.

Honestly, with the bitching, I have to ask this. If you* hate the company and game that much, why do you* bother? Do you* just want to troll the people who are happy with the system?

*- Generic 'you' directed at all the BS vitriolic bitching over something as piss-ant as errata and typoes.
« Last Edit: <12-04-12/2307:57> by All4BigGuns »
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #139 on: <12-05-12/0039:52> »

Honestly, with the bitching, I have to ask this. If you* hate the company and game that much, why do you* bother? Do you* just want to troll the people who are happy with the system?

*- Generic 'you' directed at all the BS vitriolic bitching over something as piss-ant as errata and typoes.

Frankly? I have often wondered the same thing, myself. There are typoes, there are errors. It is part of publishing, in general,
and especially game publishing. Heck, things get past playtesting all the time and end up in a case where the company has
the choice of just ignoring it or releasing an errata/faq on it. Sure, CGL does not get errata out as fast as I would like. However,
they do get them out. *looks at the 100+ pages of errata for Tactical operations for BattleTech* When they do get them out,
they are, indeed, worth it.

Frankly, the only errata I really wish they would put out is the corrected timeline info for the years they duplicated in 6th World Almanac.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #140 on: <12-05-12/0200:20> »
like Ive said somewhere else:

"There is a reason that I cannot stop whinning about polishing SRA rules...since if Vehicle combat is redone to make sense, and some major contradictions and glithces that are in Core Rule books are solved published, there will never be the need to get new set of rules, we can just expand the 6th world to the Horizon and beyond. That is why I am so sad from time to time...and sarcastic then..."

(for this contradictions see List of things that need to be cleared somewhere on this forums...) Genraly, I dont mind typos, if they are not gamebreaking, but flaws that had been discovered by geeks playing the game. Like Subscription list difference for example between CoreBook and Unwired, that finaly allow two explanations how haking work etc...

The reason Im bitching is that I love the game. It has potentioal to perfect. Why stop half way.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #141 on: <12-05-12/0202:37> »
like Ive said somewhere else:

"There is a reason that I cannot stop whinning about polishing SRA rules...since if Vehicle combat is redone to make sense, and some major contradictions and glithces that are in Core Rule books are solved published, there will never be the need to get new set of rules, we can just expand the 6th world to the Horizon and beyond. That is why I am so sad from time to time...and sarcastic then..."

(for this contradictions see List of things that need to be cleared somewhere on this forums...) Genraly, I dont mind typos, if they are not gamebreaking, but flaws that had been discovered by geeks playing the game. Like Subscription list difference for example between CoreBook and Unwired, that finaly allow two explanations how haking work etc...

The reason Im bitching is that I love the game. It has potentioal to perfect. Why stop half way.

Well, then either do as FastJack suggested and sign up to become a Freelancer hoping to get assigned to such things.  If you can't be bothered, then keep your traps shut.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #142 on: <12-05-12/0210:28> »
I wish they would hire Nath.  He is very good at picking stuff up, and tends to be fairly professional with his errata's.

Me, I am soooooo not detailed orientated.  So the books look fine.  If I have an issue with a rule, I just make a call and move on.  So I never have anything to bitch about...
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #143 on: <12-05-12/0749:42> »
<snip>It has potentioal to perfect. Why stop half way.
NOTHING will ever be perfect. Adding errata to the vehicle rules may make the game more perfect to you, but for every one like you, there's one like me that doesn't have any problems with the vehicle rules. The same goes for a lot of rules in a lot of games. The only rules that will absolutely be perfect in your own eyes will be rules that you create (and even then, your players will probably disagree). My point is, the best you can do is create a game system with enough stuff to cover the main points and some tangential points, and leave enough room for the GMs and players to create house rules to accommodate their needs.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #144 on: <12-05-12/0858:07> »
The only rules that will absolutely be perfect in your own eyes will be rules that you create (and even then, your players will probably disagree).
That's not even an absolute, Jack. As someone who's written his fair share of rules, I can speak to that with some authority.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #145 on: <12-05-12/1018:35> »
I wish they would hire Nath.  He is very good at picking stuff up, and tends to be fairly professional with his errata's.

Me, I am soooooo not detailed orientated.  So the books look fine.  If I have an issue with a rule, I just make a call and move on.  So I never have anything to bitch about...

If I have issue with a rule, for the most part I either ignore it if it's a major beef for me (Social Modifiers Limitation I'm looking at you), or I suck it up and deal with it like a grown up rather than whine like a little baby.
« Last Edit: <12-05-12/1054:08> by All4BigGuns »

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #146 on: <12-05-12/1049:16> »
Calling others "bitch" is really adult way to speak to someone else. Ill leave this to you, since it is your image. You only show that you are not able to argement and comunicate with reasonable people.

About whinnig, Ill listen to the expert. As for those vehicle rules example...Not sure if you ever tried to play by them...everything in all three layers: Magic/Matrix/Flesh happens in 3 second turns...well not vehicle combat. What about adept powers efffects on this scale, for example: If you have static sniper, matrix support and astral overwatch two team members on bikes, cops in the car and target in the van you are trying to kidnap, sittauation is unplayable by RAW. creating my own set of rules is quite silly idea in such complex and interconnected thing as SRA is.

Nath would be excelent addition to team...he has pretty complex view on timeline and that guy is quite reasonable...I, for myself, had a work and woman to take care off. But I can try to help. Když vám to bude stačit česky ;)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #147 on: <12-05-12/1444:24> »
Okay, time for everyone to calm down a bit. I think I'll lock this until cooler head prevail.