NEWS

How does one Techno?

• 5 Replies

Bickle

• Newb
« on: <09-09-18/1054:54> »
Hey all! Working on a character and I am interested in the Sourceror archetype for Technomancers. Can anyone give me some insight into how they think they are meant to be played\what they think the best use of one is?

On the surface they seem like the most brute force of the new techno archetypes with their bonus to complex forms. Technoshamans seem like they might be a bit more powerful with their greatform sprites but I've never been a fan of spirit or Sprite summoning as a playstyle so that does not super appeal to me.

So what do you all think? How should a Sourceror be used?

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-09-18/1644:44> »
Technoshaman >>> Sourceror.   Get your Level 9 Pet Sprite and have it assist Threading every time.  You'll be tossing 21ish dice to Thread. 

Unless you've got some broken combo with Hyperthreading, Technoshaman is the way to go. 

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <09-09-18/1649:05> »
+1 to Hobbes

Sourcerors have an edge in regard to Fade, but thanks to the various new options to mitigate fade this is lackluster at best. Hyperthreading is nice, but unless your GM allows you to combine the same action multiple times, it will never be as powerful as a Pet Sprite with unlimited tasks. For that, registered sprite tasks are just too valuable and powerful.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Bickle

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-09-18/1654:10> »
Hey man thanks for the response. But like I said in the post I am not really looking for information on a technoshman.

Yes I understand they are more optimal than any other techno path. But I am looking for advice on how one would use a sourceror. If your advice is *roll technoshaman* I can respect that. But that's not what I am looking for.

Call it innate disgust for spirits and sprites.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <09-09-18/1716:34> »
Well if your question really boils down to: "How should a Sourcerer be used?"

The answer is: "Focus on the most effective complex forms and spam them like there is no tomorrow."

Puppeteer the drek out of everything you want to take over (forcing someone to open a databomb is the single most effective way of taking them out), combine data spikes and derezz complex forms through hyperthreading and don't forget to have your static veil and your sleaze increase active at all times. 
Have Editor ready to circumvent normal protections on files for creative mayhem.

Get the Groveller quality and a bunch of datachips to thread high level complex forms
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <09-09-18/2019:36> »
Delphi Paragon Path.  Editor and Puppeteer are your go to Complex Forms.  You still need Maxed out Hacking and Logic because you'll need to get into Hosts the old fashioned way.

Two less fade from Threading and +1 Limit from Delphi Paragon means you could skip on Groveler if you wanted.  Threading a CF at 6, means limit 7 on (typically) 13 Dice and resisting Fade like you're Threading at Level 4.  You should be able to Soak that kind of Fade regularly. 

Look at the CF Primed Charge for getting your marks on a Host, or really just about any action in a Host.

Advancement, Submerge, Submerge, Submerge.  Your First Submersion should be Skinlink, probably FFF next, then the assorted stat boosts.  Once you start getting your Submerge  on you'll probably want to keep the assorted Increase Matrix Attribute CFs running constantly. 

I'd suggest the following: Editor, Puppeteer, Primed Charge, Cleaner, Resonance Veil, Search History, FAQ, then start picking up the assorted Increase Matrix Attribute, and of course HyperThreading.

Hyperthreading multiple CFs counts as a single CF for Sustaining.  So, once you get that Second Submersion grade pick up all Four Increase Matrix Attributes and Hyperthread them into a single CF for lulzs.