NEWS

Owlbear = AOL-bear ...

• 3 Replies

Ripcordian

• Newb
« on: <08-23-18/0739:09> »
So, I probably dont know enough about this world to be posting on forums, but perhaps this cheeky pun can come to use for someone, especially if your group has a background in D&D.

So you know the infamous Owlbear from D&D-settings. I thought it would be funny to have an NPC in Shadowrun called AOL-bear. I don't know what this guy is; anything from an actual bear infused with an old-school 28k Modem, perpetualy enfuriated by the constant slow speed of his life, to just a scruffy guy in a basement amidst a sea of old eqipment that you can only get a hold of through equipement from the same age.

AOL formed in 1985 so it just sqeezes itself in to the timeline i guess.

Imagine the terror for your group, sneaking around an old zoological research complex, suddenly, round the corner the all fammiliar sound of "beeeeeeeeeeee dideli-bip." – What was that? Was it ... "frrrrr ff ff ff ff"

OneSidedDie

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <08-23-18/0904:13> »
I don't know about anyone else but I am definitely calling any and all emergent bears AOL-Bears.

Mathan

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-24-18/1320:47> »
That... is... the BEST name ever!

Honestly I'd say you should make said NPC as a SURGE Troll. Doing an Owlbear from that shouldn't be too hard. Would love to see that decker writeup!

PingGuy

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-04-18/1657:24> »
To properly act out an AOL-Bear there are a few things you would have to ensure.

#1 The AOL-Bear would have the oldest commlink ever made, whatever that was, he'd have it, and not even consider upgrading no matter the benefits.  If he even understood the benefits or knew of their existence.

#2 AOL-Bear never checks his messages with his commlink.  He goes into VR, goes to a host, and asks the host to show him his messages.  He does this every time, even just to check to see if he has messages at all.

#3 AOL-Bear somehow only ever ends up in the worst chat rooms.  The ones that are all matrix trolls, and one guy posing as a woman.  The AOL-Bear will send the "woman" money for literally any reason provided.

#4 The concept of the matrix is not graspable by the AOL-Bear, he uses it, but has no concept of what it is.  Essentially he thinks his "walkie-talkie" is pretty advanced to be able to let him fly around like a video game.  Sometimes he'll hold down the transmit button as a kind of "lala i can't hear you" button for whoever he is talking to.

#5 The ring-tone on his commlink is actual audio of an old physical phone from the 1980's.  He says if he sets it to anything else, he forgets it's a phone call and just stands there kind of dancing to the weird sounds coming out of it.