NEWS

Internet Regulation

• 58 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #30 on: <11-14-12/1307:42> »
My this got nationalist and political quick.
You can have my beer when you pry it from my cold, dead hand!!!

It'll probably be empty anyhow.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #31 on: <11-15-12/1831:56> »
It was intended to be from the outset.  I wanted to know how legit the link in the OP is.  There is some truth to it, but probably not as bad as being spun.

--------------

OTOH, no news isn't necessarily good news.  By not reporting on it, a news outlet can help hide the importance of an event.  Especially if said outlets parent organization were to benefit from obcuring said event.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #32 on: <11-15-12/2115:18> »
It was intended to be from the outset.  I wanted to know how legit the link in the OP is.  There is some truth to it, but probably not as bad as being spun.

--------------

OTOH, no news isn't necessarily good news.  By not reporting on it, a news outlet can help hide the importance of an event.  Especially if said outlets parent organization were to benefit from obcuring said event.

Anything the UN does or sponsors is for political reasons. After all it's filled with politicians! And just like everything the UN gets involved with, it will flounder around, doing nothing, change nothing, and over half the politicians will decry that their people's rights and morality is being trampled on by the imperialistic, capitalism of the 'west'.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #33 on: <11-16-12/0333:27> »
See, NOW it's getting political.
Going to resist replying, but I'd suggest this thread close or people keep this about media, before it gets ugly.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #34 on: <11-16-12/0535:01> »
I have never understood why Paris Hilton's latest boyfriend or other gossip-mongering sells papers or gets ratings or what have you. But then I guess I'm too logical to understand. :P
I never understood the fuss over some wench named for a hotel. :P

Also: EVERY kind of media outlet is biased in one way or other. Some of them have that in their internal rules even. If you know which ones are biased and how, you can take that into account, and take everything with a grain of salt. Take that as advice from a journalist who wouldn't sell out. That's why I'm a librarian now. :P
« Last Edit: <11-16-12/0537:07> by Kot »
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #35 on: <11-16-12/1147:30> »
Everyone has an agenda, the good journalists are able to keep it somewhat in the closet while they're working.

Of course, by the time the editor is done with it, you get "Spider-Man Saves Ten Children From Fire" to "Spider-Man Interferes With Firefighters Saving Children".

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Kat9

« Reply #36 on: <11-16-12/1557:01> »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #37 on: <11-16-12/1640:47> »
And it's never Lupus.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <11-16-12/1644:58> »
And it's never Lupus.

I was hoping the last season would be nothing but people with Lupus, leading to a House/24 crossover where Jack Bauer has to stop some crazed band of Russian Ultranationals from giving the entire US population Lupus.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #39 on: <11-17-12/0912:59> »
*Except in case of a werewolf.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #40 on: <11-18-12/1315:38> »
Al Jazeera is actually quite unbiased in their reporting too.
They write more on topics or regions that much of the western press barely reports about or only mention a a small footnote.
(Unimportant stuff that doesn't sell as many papers as important news about Paris Hilton's latest boyfriend)

I have never understood why Paris Hilton's latest boyfriend or other gossip-mongering sells papers or gets ratings or what have you. But then I guess I'm too logical to understand. :P

Because we live in a world where cheap celebrity is the closest thing that we have nowadays that could possibly be interperated as legitamate heroism and bravery.

Typing that sentence out made me depressed. :(

having read about a classmate's death last night, i find that highly offensive. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/11/16/bomb-disposal-expert-takes-his-last-lonely-walk.html
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #41 on: <11-18-12/1515:59> »
They write more on topics or regions that much of the western press barely reports about or only mention a a small footnote.
(Unimportant stuff that doesn't sell as many papers as important news about Paris Hilton's latest boyfriend)

Because we live in a world where cheap celebrity is the closest thing that we have nowadays that could possibly be interperated as legitamate heroism and bravery.

having read about a classmate's death last night, i find that highly offensive. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/11/16/bomb-disposal-expert-takes-his-last-lonely-walk.html

Damn, man... just... ouch. You handling it okay?

---   ---   ---

Also, I do agree wholeheartedly. It's not that there are no more heroes, it's that the brainless masses out there just don't care about them anymore. They've got movie-star heroes to worship, who are so much "cooler," and better-looking, and who they can watch "first-hand" on the screen.

Brave men do deeds that would have become legendary even a century ago, and they're nothing more than a historical footnote, or a a 2-minute "filler" blurb between political scare-mongering and celebrity gossip... because that's what sells.
« Last Edit: <11-18-12/1518:14> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Twitchy D

• Omae
  • Paranoia is a survival trait.
« Reply #42 on: <11-18-12/1539:35> »

I've left a message regarding my post in your inbox, beowulf_of_wa. Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

Also, I do agree wholeheartedly. It's not that there are no more heroes, it's that the brainless masses out there just don't care about them anymore. They've got movie-star heroes to worship, who are so much "cooler," and better-looking, and who they can watch "first-hand" on the screen.

Brave men do deeds that would have become legendary even a century ago, and they're nothing more than a historical footnote, or a a 2-minute "filler" blurb between political scare-mongering and celebrity gossip... because that's what sells.

That's what I was trying to say. People in this day and age who's bravery and sacrifices would have gotten them immortalized in stories told and loved in older days now get marginalized for actors and flawed people who are pasted on the news on a daily basis. Hell, there are men and women in today's societies who would have been the greatest explorers, warriors, and storytellers that have ever lived, had they been born before the world was introduced to the advances of technology and capitalism. We can now find them in flophouses, waiting in souplines, and living on the streets. If you've ever read Sin City and read anything about Marv, that terrifying-yet-oddly-pitiable/lovable murderous psychopath, you would know what I mean.

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #43 on: <11-18-12/2138:52> »
thank you all for your thoughts,

TwitchyD: call it unfortunately perfect timing, Wade went on his "long lonely walk" on the 10th, and news of his death was passed within the EOD community on the 12th. it took me almost a week to realize it was my classmate that i was reading about (just last night, when i saw his portrait in the above linked article) and it hit me like a 800 pound gorilla gripping my chest. was still basically in shock this morning when i had the misfortune of reading your (now-obviously sarcastic) post. an emotional over-reaction.

thank you all for your kind words.
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

Twitchy D

• Omae
  • Paranoia is a survival trait.
« Reply #44 on: <11-19-12/0918:30> »
I'm just glad to see you feeling a little better, beowulf. Not the greatest, obviously, but it seems like you're alright today.

Welcome back.