NEWS

The Black Hole: Another Disney remake in the works?

• 34 Replies

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« on: <03-14-11/0836:11> »
I'd heard this news after Tron: Legacy released, and my interest in it revived after watching the original "The Black Hole" movie.  The original movie is, as some say, somewhat uneven in quality.  Sometimes, it can be terribly silly (the trip to heaven and hell) and childish (the cutesy robots, VINCENT and BoB).  Yet there are moments in the movie that are genuinely interesting, suspenseful, creepy, and hold the promise of being part of a great piece of cinema.

The guy who did the new Tron movie is reportedly on board (or wishes to be) for a remake of "The Black Hole."  So, here's the question:  What did you guys think of the original movie?  While the slew of remakes put out by Hollywood makes me nauseous, I think there is definate potential to make a truly excellent movie out of the story of "The Black Hole."  What about you?
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #1 on: <03-14-11/0955:48> »
Heck why not? I liked the movie, it's a nice popcorn adventure flick. It has typical effects and plot for the day and heck, it's a fun movie. Not much to expect, but there are several themes i think that could be expanded on. For example, they hinted at more robots and the psychic connection some have with humans. There are also indications of some kind of conflict. And yeah, the Robots were cool.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <03-14-11/2258:51> »
The design of VINCENT was kind of kiddie, but only with regards to the head.  The basic idea behind it was pretty cool.

MAXIMILLIAN was pretty frickin scary. 
There is no overkill.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #3 on: <03-14-11/2327:07> »
Max is awesome.

Pure awesome.

Scary, and still awesome...
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Sec Guard

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <04-12-11/1716:12> »
Maximillion is awesome, not sure if they should do a remake though.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <04-13-11/0945:32> »
Considering all the interesting ideas presented, and then ignored, and all the completely out of place kiddie stuff in the movie, I think it is ripe for it.

You can catch it on youtube.  Someone put the entirety of it on there.  The quality of the film (not the video playback, which looks good, I'm talking about the movie itself) is very uneven.  But there are bright points in it that scream to get some good treatment from a filmmaker.
There is no overkill.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #6 on: <04-16-11/0557:17> »
I think the guy who made the new Tron movie should have to wear a special collar that shocks him every time he thinks about touching someone else's work.

Tim Burton too.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <04-16-11/0605:36> »
Why?  The new Tron movie was well done, if a bit verbose.
There is no overkill.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #8 on: <04-16-11/1216:21> »
I think the guy who made the new Tron movie should have to wear a special collar that shocks him every time he thinks about touching someone else's work.

Someone else's work?

You realize that Steven Lisberger was heavily involved with the sequel, right?

-k

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <04-17-11/0953:33> »

*shrug*

Tron: Legacy suffered from the same shortcomings as Tron did. Visually impressive for its time, nothing exciting about the story.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <04-17-11/1013:41> »
There were some deeper thoughts and ideas in the story, but they just weren't explicit.  Nor were they really touched on in the first movie.  They were just played with a little bit in Legacy, but the audience wasn't hit over the head with them.  Things like the responsibilities of a creator, and the awareness and wisdom that needs to be exercised when creating.

Heavy stuff but, like I said, the audience wasn't bludgeoned with it, so I can understand why some may miss it or dismiss it.
There is no overkill.

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #11 on: <04-21-11/0924:32> »
I think Black Hole could easily do well with a remake these days. There are two new generations who haven't seen or heard of it and there hasn't been a non-Star Wars space flick in a while (at least, not that I've noticed).

But mostly, I want it because I want to see Vincent, Bob, and Max back.  8)
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

Somtaaw0

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <05-01-11/0058:17> »
I think the Bkack Hole was one ofthe earliest scifi movies I can recall seeing..maybe 20k leagues. I would like to see a redo, but there is so kuch from the first that I would hate to see changed. The look of the Cygnus, the creepy ( sorta ) music, and of course Max. I think adding an Event Horizon vibe would be nifty.
I felt a great disturbance in the force. As if a significant plotline suddenly cried out in terror... and was suddenly silenced.--Torg @ Sluggy.com

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #13 on: <05-01-11/0125:09> »
I was blessed/cursed that Star Wars was the second movie I had ever seen. The first was The Cat from Outer Space.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #14 on: <05-01-11/0132:45> »
I was blessed/cursed that Star Wars was the second movie I had ever seen. The first was The Cat from Outer Space.

Star Wars was my first. And I have some FUNKY memories of it.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.