NEWS

Stolen Souls: So is Butch a reincarnated Mengele, or what?

• 47 Replies

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #45 on: <06-28-14/0257:39> »
I used Mengele as an example because I felt the comparison was apt.  What other figure murdered large numbers of people in the name of "science"?  Note that comparable is not the same as equivalency.   Regardless, no one is making you agree with the comparison, that's part of the discussion.  But you don't get to say I can't make the comparison at all, just because someone might find it hurtful.  Feelings don't dictate truth.
You're right that the scales are different.

But the very largest chemical explosions have about the same scale as the smallest nuclear explosions.....but do the smallest nuclear explosions have more in common with a similar yield chemical explosions, or with the larger nuclear explosions that can be thousands of times larger?  Point being that the scale is not necessarily as important as the nature.

As I said, there was reason to quite a few of his experiments.  Just because they were grotesque, doesn't mean they had no sense or reason.  That's kinda the point -- the fact that it was scientific doesn't make it OK.  Just like Butch.  If you belittle the Devil by calling him stupid, you're only fooling yourself.

I stacked these together, because they're essentially all the same angle on the question, which would be best phrased such: "are the experiments conducted by Butch equivalent to the experiments conducted by Josef Mengele?"  Mengele's experiments 'had sense and reason', in a foggy way, yes - though none of them were connected to each other.  He had no real direction to his so-called 'research'.  Butch's experiments, while illegal, immoral, and unethical, have definite direction, are definitely limited in scope, and are very, very specific: Cure CFD.

So to answer all of the above, no, the nature of her experiments do not have the same nature as those performed by Mengele.

Two minutes review of Mengele's experiments should have informed you of this.

Oh, HELL no.  Same lecture I gave martinchaen.  No one gets some special permission, or special right to discuss an issue that others don't. 
Anyway, I don't really appreciate the attempt at censorship -- It feels plenty appropriate and I don't feel obligated to keep it private.  No one is making you read it.

Here's the thing - this is not an attempt at censorship.  The question you posed has been answered - and not once, and not in one form, but several times, in several forms, by several different people.  And yet you are continuing to pursue the question, despite clear parallels.

What this is now looking like is not an expression of horror at what we have all agreed upon - unethical, immoral experiments by Butch - but more of a declaration that the 'experiments' conducted by Josef Mengele had redeeming social and scientific value, because since Butch's experiments do, you continuing to try to tie the two together is starting to look like a patently transparent attempt to state that Mengele's were as well.

So my question now is this: Are you trying to be an apologist for Mengele's experiments?  Are they misunderstood, not all that bad?
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Sir_Prometheus

« Reply #46 on: <06-28-14/0312:33> »
I'm just going to address the last point....no, I'm not an apologist in any way for Mengele.  Nor should anything I have written have made you think so. 

I think there's a lot of people here (and everywhere) trying to say nothing Mengele did had any scientific value, because that makes it easier vilefy him....but that's kinda uneccessary, as he's already completely vilifiable.

Indeed, that's the whole point -- regardless of how much sense and reason Mengele's experiments had, a lot or a little, none of that makes any of it less vile.  Someone early on stated "it would all be forgiven if he had cured cancer" -- no it wouldn't.  It would still be just as monstrous, just as disgusting.  THAT REALLY IS THE POINT.  What if everything Mengele did was dedicated to curing cancer?  Would that have made it better?  No, it wouldn't, not at all.

Just like Butch. 
« Last Edit: <06-28-14/0314:09> by Sir_Prometheus »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #47 on: <06-28-14/1206:33> »
Thread locked, warnings and bans handed out. Hope you all had fun!