NEWS

Does the Gaiasphere connect with all other aura-spheres?

• 6 Replies

Eddren

• Newb
« on: <07-14-18/2034:03> »
Probably a weird way of wording it, but I was thinking the other day on how horrors would probably be fought, and came to the conclusion that humanity would probably lose, but the current development of satellites with mini-aura-spheres was something I'd heard of often as a plot-hook. That got me to wondering, if you made an aura-sphere on a satellite, could you astrally project to it from Earth?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <07-14-18/2223:54> »
By travel, I assume you mean astrally.

No.

The height that these stations orbit us well outside the manasphere, and their own auras are... tenous at best. An astral traveller would still hit the 'black' of an astral void before again coming back into manasphere of the station.

And some of them have been specifically set up this way on purpose. Such as the Ares station that they use for Bug Hunts (yes... bug hunts... not capture, zi assure you! HONEST!)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Eddren

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <07-21-18/0321:31> »
Okay, that's awesome. So that means a well-designed manasphere could be relatively safe from the more powerful creepy-crawlies. Probably also quite stagnant in the spirit department as well, but that'll probably be fixed within the next five years or so. After all, if you can make a manasphere station, you can make a mana-elevator.

But as an aside, I take it then that the general consensus is that the Ares Station is the Bug Hub? Probably just best to assume they're BBEGs?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <07-21-18/0522:37> »
Didn't Ares bring some bugs home for research which got out of hand?_?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <07-21-18/0727:49> »
There's a megacorp plot - Astral tunneling . . .

adzling

« Reply #5 on: <07-21-18/1358:20> »
I think you can move between gaiaspheres via metaplanar travel and rifts.

Eddren

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <07-22-18/1428:02> »
Okay, so with that theory, I could see Megacorps using it as a cheap way to move people from Earth to a station. Is it hard to find a Magician with the summoning and invocation chops to regularly move people this way? Eh, for us, yeah, but not really for them, and if it means cutting the distance between Mars and Earth to practically nill, then I can see them investing in it.

But I also really like the idea that you can't. For a couple of reasons. First of all, it means that with the right defenses against Possession and Inhabitation, and a good way of screening for Horror-touched cronies, you could conceivably have a very trustworthy central command in space. But what I find most interesting, is if the Manaspheres don't all connect to the same Metaplanes, could a young Manasphere develop its' own Metaplanes, and see a rise in its own types of unique spirits?